Ships Nostalgia banner

Radio Officer Tracking

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Hugh MacLean 
#1 ·
Hi everyone - it's been fascinating finding your site.
My Uncle, Robert Jones, was one of three Marconi radio officers on the Pennington Court, sunk 9 October 1942. We believe that the ship put out from New York, but had engine trouble and was forced to turn into Halifax for repairs. She then set out to try to catch up with her convoy, but was sunk before she caught up.
I know that my uncle had recently transfered to the ship, but cannot trace why, nor what ship he had been on before.
Is there any way of tracing movements between ships of radio operators?

#2 ·
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
I doubt that any records survive from Marconi. Apparently all their records were skipped.
You may find details at the PRO, Kew.
I'm sure someone will step forward with some help. Best of luck.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

#4 ·
PENNINGTON COURT official number 148274

Hello and welcome aboard,

You will need to get the last crew agreement for PENNINGTON COURT which will be held under the ship's official number 148274 held at the National Archives Kew. The file will be held in piece details BT381/1964 here

If you wish to get this file click on the link above and then hit "Request this" and then take the Digital Express option and follow the instructions. Be sure to ask for the last crew agreement for PENNINGTON COURT official number 148274. This file should, amongst other things, give you the name of your uncles previous ship. The cost for this will be £8.50 and the do***ent will be sent to your email address (24 hour service) on a no find no fee basis.

Regards (Thumb)

#10 ·
Welcome

PCE,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query – in the meantime have a good look around the site. (Thumb)

#11 ·
Many thanks to all for your welcome! And especially to Hugh for your advice. I have the crew agreement from Kew - very interesting. His previous ship is named as Empire Ocean, which was on convoy ON 115 and sank. But this has been crossed out and Empire Flint written in, which was on convoy ON 113 and was not sunk.
Family memories, backed up be a telegram to say he was 'all right' are that he was rescued from a torpedoed ship. This would fit the Ocean more than the Flint, unless he was picked up by the Flint. But I thought it was Navy ships that mainly picked up survivors on convoys.
So I guess I need to hunt on through crew agreements for these other ships to discover if he was indeed torpedoed. Right?

#13 ·
So I guess I need to hunt on through crew agreements for these other ships to discover if he was indeed torpedoed. Right?
Firstly, it would appear that ss EMPIRE OCEAN was not lost to a torpedo.
4.8.42 Ashore near Shingle Head, NF.
5.8.42 Refloated but sank in tow at 47.01N 52.50W.

It would be interesting to find out who gave her the tow.

Based on the information you have given, I would be wanting to find out a little more about those two ships. You could prove that he was indeed onboard EMPIRE OCEAN by getting a copy of her final crew list held at Kew under the ship's official number 160794 in BT 281/2027 at this link here
You would need to ask for the last crew list for EMPIRE OCEAN official number 160794. There will probably be no official log for the ship as it would have gone down with her.

The next thing I would be thinking about is whether he was on EMPIRE FLINT or was picked up by her or if she was indeed the ship that took her under tow. There would probably be an indication in her official log.

The crew agreement and official log for EMPIRE FLINT should be held in piece details BT381/2110 at Kew.

You can let us know if you wish to pursue the log for EMPIRE FLINT and we will guide you. You need to be careful what you ask for as there are many parts to a ships log and you may end up getting the wrong info.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.