Ships Nostalgia banner

Paraguay Star

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  China hand 
#1 ·
She was the only one of the BA flyer's not to have a top hat on the funnel.

Result being a sooty boat deck every morning to be holy stoned. All hands turned out at 0600 hrs to get the job done before breakfast.

Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not commonly known, the 'Paraguay Star' was used by Juan Domingo Peron on his flight into exile in Spain in 1955.

I was told, that for fear of being pursued by gunboats, the Captain set a course from the mouth of the Plate straight out into deep Alantic, before turning north on the homeward bound run.

Steve

#7 ·
Hi Steve,

I was born in Argentina of British parents and have lived all my life (except for a 2 year period in Guernsey,CI) in Buenos Aires. At the time of the September 1955 revolution which forced Juan Domingo Perón into exile, I was a 17 year-old schoolboy and have very vivid recollections of that time. Peron boarded a gunboat flying the Paraguayan flag in the port of Buenos Aires and sailed to Asuncion, capital city of Paraguay. I have no recollection, nor have I ever heard or read of him boarding an ocean-going vessel to escape the country. I would be more than interested if you could provide me with more information concerning Peron being on board the Paraguay Star in September 1955. Many thanks!

Alfred

#4 ·
Hi Steve,
More information I've gathered on the 'Paraguay Star' which may be of interest. I only did a two week run job on her in 1967.

Blue Star's S.S. "Paraguay Star"
Built: Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead
*ON: 182860
Dimensions: 478.4 x 68.3 x 35.9 feet
Tonnage: Gross : 10722 Net :*6325
Propulsion: Three steam turbines by the shipbuilder powered by two Babcock & Wilcox sinuous header boilers, double reduction geared to one shaft. Service speed: 16 kts.
Type: Refrigerated Cargo/Passenger Liner, 53 1st Class passengers, 6 refrigerated hatches
Launched: 23/4/1948* ( Yard No.1181) as Paraguay Star for Blue Star Line Ltd. Completed: 10/1948
Severely damaged 12/8/1969 when fire broke out in her engine room whilst discharging cargo in Royal Victoria Docks, London. Declared a total constructive loss and arrived in tow at Hamburg, West Germany, 19/9/1969 for demolition by Eckardt & Co. GmBh
Sold: 1972 to Nissho-Iwai Co., Japan for demolition, resold to Tung Seng Steel & Iron Works, Taiwan 10/10/1972 and arrived at Kaohsiung 10/101972 to be broken up Demolition commd: 3/1970

All the best.
Gordon Rew

#10 ·
Spent most of my Blue Star time on the "A" boats, never heard the Peron story before. I'm sure someone would have mentioned it, either on board or in Bs As (I was living down there). Most popular picture in the bars, taxis, busses was Carlos Gardel, not poor old JP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.