Ships Nostalgia banner

British Resource 1942 (sunk)

12K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  kevjacko 
#1 ·
My brother was on the tanker British Resource sunk in 42, 6 survived inc captain, not my brother though, torpedoed U46, Jochen Mhour, Capitan

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Brian and welcome to the site.

I have been looking for information on the internet about that horrifying act of war.
The world changes and sometimes we forget the duties and responsiblities that were thrust upon men of such a young age not so long ago. When I calculated your brother's age, it really took the wind out of my sails. May he and all the others like him Rest Forever in Peace.

There are a few sites on the Internet you may or may not have seen.
The first is a description of the sinking--click on the ship's name on the right column, the second the fate of the Uboat and the Commander.
The third is a newspaper clipping about another young lad who lost his brother in the sinking--blow it up and it's legible.
The fourth is a description of the tanker on the Clyde-Built Database. Unfortunately, the photo is obviously not of the 'British Resource' of 1930, but a much later tanker.
I haven't been able to find a picture, but perhaps another member may be able to oblige.
Hope this helps a little.

http://www.ubootwaffe.net/ops/boat.cgi?boat=124
http://uboat.net/men/mohr.htm
http://www.jordan-maynard.org/mt-weblog-archive/000038.html
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=16103

Bruce C.

#3 ·
b.robinson460 said:
My brother was on the tanker British Resource sunk in 42, 6 survived inc captain, not my brother though, torpedoed U46, Jochen Mhour, Capitan
. Dear Bruce, Thank you for your reply. I do have a photo of the ship and I will try to send it to you, not conversant with the workings of your site so I hope you understand, have a lot of material concerning the Resource, I am trying to find your E-Mail address at the moment, and how to send to you, may be you could get my pea brain into gear.

Brian Robinson

#5 ·
Tower Hill Memorial Panel 20

ALLISON, Apprentice, BERNARD, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 16. Son of Gilbert and Gertrude Allison, of Hull.

ATHERTON, Storekeeper, PETER SINCLAIR, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 50. Son of John Francis Atherton and of Elizabeth Atherton (nee Fitton).

BEGGS, Engineer Officer (Sixth), WILLIAM, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 29.

BRADY, Sailor, JOHN, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 25. Son of Nicholas and Catherine Brady, of Mossley Hill, Liverpool.

BRODERICK, Chief Officer, PATRICK JOHN, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 33. Husband of Mary Broderick, of Bluff, Durban, South Africa. Master Mariner, M.N.

BRYDE, Greaser, JOSEPH, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 36. Son of James Thomas Bryde and Ellen Bryde, of Lower Tranmere, Birkenhead.

CADDY, Able Seaman, JOHN, M.V, British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 36. Son of James and Jane Caddy, of Ulverston, Lancashire.

CLARK, First Radio Officer, FREDERICK RONALD, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 31. Son of Frederick and Mabel Clark.

CLARKE, Boatswain (Bosun), WILLIAM, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 43. Son of Sarah Clarke, of Higher Tranmere, Birkenhead.

COHEN, Donkeyman, JOHN, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 38. Son of Peter and Mary Cohen; husband of Grace Cohen, of Tranmere, Cheshire.

COLWELL, Second Engineer Officer, EDWIN WILLIAM, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 32. Son of Mathew and Daisy Colwell; husband of Edna Colwell, of East Boldon, Co. Durham.

CORLETT, Chief Engineer Officer, WILLIAM ALFRED, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 50. Husband of Isabella Catherine Corlett, of Cleadon, Co. Durham.

DOHERTY, Able Seaman, GEORGE, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 42.

FINN, Apprentice, KEITH CHARLES, S.S. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 19. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles John Finn, of Chatham.

GRAHAM, Fourth Engineer Officer, ROBERT, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 22. Son of Robert Graham, and of Alice Graham, of North Shields, Northumberland.

GRIFFITHS, Greaser, DANIEL, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 27.

HANNAH, Able Seaman, ALFRED, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 33. Son of William and Sarah Hannah.

HARTNELL, Deck Boy, NORMAN, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 17.

HAYES, Able Seaman, PATRICK, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 54.

HOYLE, Cabin Boy, DOUGALL, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 17.

JONES, Able Seaman, ARTHUR ERNEST, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 20. Son of Ernest and Evelyn Florence Jones, of Bromborough, Cheshire.

JORDAN, Carpenter, RONALD PATRICK, S.S. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 19. Son of Robert Jordan, and of Elsie May Jordan. of Coventry.

LOVELL, Electrician, HARRY ARTHUR, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 28.

MADDOCK, Greaser, ALEXANDER, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 28. Husband of Florence Maddock, of Liverpool.

MANALEY, Cabin Boy, CHARLES RAMSEY, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 15.

MANALEY, Assistant Steward, HUGH, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 17.

MARTIN, Able Seaman, WILLIAM ALFRED, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 29. Son of William and Martha Martin, of Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland; nephew of John Martin, of Belfast.

McDONALD, Greaser, JAMES, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 45.

McLEOD, Assistant Steward, ALEXANDER, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 19. Son of Mrs. G. Forrest, of Whitburn, West Lothian.

NEWSTEAD, Ordinary Seaman, GEORGE W., M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 18. Son of George Robert and Ellen Elizabeth Newstead.

OWEN, Ordinary Seaman, JOHN, S.S. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 18. Son of John Lewis Owen and Sarah Owen, of Blaenau Ffestiniog, Merionethshire.

REES, Third Engineer Officer, DAVID PICTON, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 27. Son of Edwin and Esther Rees; husband of Violet Eurhonwen Rees, of Cardigan.

RENNELS, Second Officer, SAMUEL JOHN, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 27. King's Commendation for Brave Conduct. Son of Hender H. and Henrietta Rennels, of Brixham, Devon; husband of Ida Rennels.

ROBINSON, Second Radio Officer, JOHN ERIC, S.S. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 18. Son of John and Mary Agnes Robinson, of Hulme, Manchester.

RODDY, Fifth Engineer Officer, JOHN JOSEPH, S.S. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 22. Son of James and Margaret Roddy.

SANDERSON, Chief Cook, WILLIAM, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 36. Son of Thomas and Amelia Sanderson; husband of Christina Sanderson, of North Shields, Northumberland.

SAUNDERS, Cook, LESLIE, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 19. Son of George H. and Annie Saunders. of Ernesettle, Devon.

SIMPSON, Greaser, ALBERT HENRY, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 31. Son of Emma Lingham Simpson, of Liverpool.

SMITH, Fireman, DENNIS CHARLES ALFRED, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 29.

STRATHIE, Cabin Boy, ROBERT, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 18.

THOMASON, Chief Steward, JOHN WILSON, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 44. Son of William and Eliza Thomason; husband of Alice Thomason, of Wallasey, Cheshire.

WAGNER, Able Seaman, TRANSFIELD, M.V. British Resource (London). Merchant Navy. 14th March 1942. Age 32. Son of James and Ida Wagner; husband of Elizabeth Wagner, of Liverpool.

#6 ·
Rick Manaley

Hi, I'm new to this but reading this I just had to mention that my Dad Peter Manaley (Dec) lost his two brothers on the British Resource , Charlie Manaley aged 15 and Hugh Manaley aged 17. My mum said that my dad was 8 years old at the time and it was on his mind all his life. Oh so very young they were. RIP. Regards Rick Manaley.

#11 ·
Hi, I'm new to this but reading this I just had to mention that my Dad Peter Manaley (Dec) lost his two brothers on the British Resource , Charlie Manaley aged 15 and Hugh Manaley aged 17. My mum said that my dad was 8 years old at the time and it was on his mind all his life. Oh so very young they were. RIP. Regards Rick Manaley.
Hi Rick. I empathise with that. My Grandfather was only loss of life on the British Captain when she hit and was sunk by a mine off the Sussex coast 2nd December 1941. My Man was only a toddler at the time. I believe the loss of her father at such a young age still affects her now.

#8 ·
Cabin boy Hoyle

Hello,
Starting to research my father's side of the family tree. My great uncle Dougall is mentioned here. Appears this trip was his first sailing after someone in the village gave him a white feather. Will visit Tower Hill to see his name. Grateful for the info posted on here.
Tina Hoyle

#10 ·
Extracted from my book, Shipping Company Losses of the Second World War.

BRITISH RESOURCE (Captain J. Kennedy). Bound for the UK via Halifax, from Curaçao, and sailing independently when torpedoed by U.124 (Kptlt. Johann Mohr) at 9.18pm on 14 March, 1942. Sunk by a second torpedo fired at 9.33pm, in position 36º04´N 65º38´W. Forty-five died. Four picked up by the corvette HMS Clarkia (LtCdr. F.J.G. Jones) and landed at Hamilton, Bermuda.

#16 ·
Hi Kev,

He has a medal file held at Kew in piece BT 395/1/11405 that can be downloaded for £3.45. He has two cards in the Fourth Register of Seamen. Looks like he first went to sea in 1930.
WW2 ships were BRITISH CORPORAL in 1939, BRITISH FAITH in 1940 and BRITISH CAPTAIN in 1941.
If you would like the two record cards send me your email address by private message and I will forward them on to you.

Regards
Hugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.