Ships Nostalgia banner

Books about Maritime Radio...

8K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  King Ratt 
#1 ·
...or radio in general.

I have a few books about Radio Officers (eg:
Cq-GTZM - Diary of a Maritime Radio Officer;
The History of The Radio Officer In The British Merchant Navy And On Deep-Sea Trawlers;
Wireless at Sea, The First Fifty Years ; etc.)
but am always looking for more. Has anyone any recommendations?

I'm also looking for a copy of Watchers of the Waves: a history of British Coast Radio Stations. If anyone can let me know where I can obtain a copy, I'd be forever grateful.
I know of one copy for sale but it's a bit expensive, although I may have to bite the bullet and open my credit card...(Cloud)

#3 ·
I completed this one in 1999, but it was rejected by most of the major publishers for the rather weak reason in most cases of ""no-one interested in persnal recollections of boats these days!" Eventually (just as I was about to give up) Whittles Publishing of Caithness took it on & it was published in 2006. It is virtually sold out at the publishers now, but is still available on Amazon etc.

It covers my years as radio officer aboard the two ST. HELENAs (1979 - 1992). It has never had a bad review yet. I am not involved in any way in the marketing of the book, but as I said, it is available from a number of places on the web.

Initially, it was three times the size & entitled IT ALL RUBS OFF WHEN IT'S DRY & covered my whole time at sea, early 1961 to late 1992. Whittles decided to publish the last third of the manuscript that covered only the ST. HELENA years. It is illustrated with about 75 photographs (25 colour, 50 B & W).

Bob

Attachments

#10 ·
Maritime Books connected with Marine Radio

I remember reading a great book called "SOS TO THE RESCUE" I cannot think for the life of me who wrote it but it was a very detailed account of rescues where Marine Radio and R/O's were the stars.

Believe it covered the period from about 1912 until about 1936 or thereabouts.

A Very good read and worthy of a place on any nautical bookshelf.

I will try Amazon and see if I can locate a copy for myself to use as a reference

Znord 737

#20 ·
Manuals etc.

The only textbook I was aware of in 1955 was "The Admiralty Handbook of Wireless Telegraphy". They were in several volumes and anything but a handbook. Our local library had a couple and I remember referring to it when I was trying to get to grips with DF.

I think they eventually became the Services Textbook of Radio. I bought Vol 5 in 1970 when I was doing antennae theory for C& G. I paid about 3 pounds for it and I see they are for sale on Amazon for 35 pounds second hand,perhaps they are a newer version than mine.

Another good radio book is the SeaWatchers by Lawrence Durrant. Its about the Australian Coast Radio Service, I see there are a few second hand copies around.

#14 ·
Danielson & Mayoh's "Marine Radio Manual" is the book of choice from 1966.
Came out after I'd finished my tickets but came in handy for MED and general info while at sea.
We only had the "Bible" (PMG Handbook) when I was at college the rest was all handwritten notes and photocopies.

Cheers
Kris

#15 ·
I got mine in 1968, cost the vast sum of 8 guineas (84 shillings to the LSD challenged !), and Foyles of London actually had two copies on their shelves !

Currently Abebooks in the UK are showing 4 copies ranging from £10 to £12 if anyone is still desperate to get hold of one.

I never took it away to sea with me though, the space and weight was always need for more important things !

#17 ·
Obviously the result of decimal brainwashing. [=P]

I didn't start joining ships by air until quite late so luggage space and weight were never a factor.
Especially when you signed on and off in your home port.
Just empty the bedroom into the car and take it down to the ship. (Jester)

#21 ·
..... so luggage space and weight were never a factor.
Especially when you signed on and off in your home port.
Just empty the bedroom into the car and take it down to the ship. (Jester)
Only problem was coming back into another port, I remember a big argument with some HQ jobsworth about hiring a car from Liverpool to London for self and 3rd Mate who lived just around the corner from me.

Said jobsworth said only Captains and Chief Engineers could have car hire expensed by the company, everybody else had to go by public transport when returning from deep sea. So we cost them about twice as much with trains, taxis, porters etc ! Not a good journey home, but a nice feeling of satisfaction nevertheless !

#18 ·
Blackwater

In the book Blackwater the R/O was not the only survivor--the Chief Steward (Griffo) and the 1st mate (Ingleson) survived as did some of the other crew members. A cracking read!(Thumb)

#22 ·
Thanks to the recommendations on here I have purchased and just finished reading RMS St Helena by Shipbuilder and also Blackwater. Both are excellent reads and it is a shame that Shipbuilder's complete memoirs were not published as he has a very good easy reading style. Blackwater was a truly fascinating read and an eye opening insight into conditions on an early 20th century tramp and the description of the conditions endured as brought about by the title are just awful. I can highly recommend this book if you can get hold of a copy.

#24 ·
To Catch a Shadow: A Wartime Tale of Espionage
and Intrigue From Africa to North Russia by
Leon Wortman. The book describes in detail the
lonely life of an OSS agent with R/O background
whose missions take him behind the lines from Africa
to Russia. (First Books Library)

Leon A. Wortman was a R/O on Murmansk convoys ships

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.