Ships Nostalgia banner

Joya McCance shipmates (50 years on)

17K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  duquesa 
#1 ·
Just over 50 years ago, Stan & I joined the ore carrier Joya McCance in South Shields. Stan was deck boy (1st trip) and I was junior sparks (2nd trip). We came across each other again on Ships Nostalgia, some time ago and surprisingly enough, we both remembered talking on the poop on that first day. Although now living in Canada, Stan magaged to make a vist to the UK and today and we had a fantastic mini-reunion, remembering times gone by and old shipmates.
Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Joya McCance

Great reunion Bob, I'm glad we had the opportunity to meet again. I noticed your post about how to peel hard boiled eggs and since the Joya McCance I don't like to talk about eggs. LOL. Just kidding.
For the benefit of readers I will tell why.
At sea one evening around the middle of May 1962 the officers, and crew, of the iron ore carrier Joya McCance had a dart tournament then a party. One officer tossed a bit of tomato at me and I threw a soft boiled egg at him. I was charged with "Attacking an Officer on the high seas with a blunt instrument, namely, one soft boiled egg" it was a joke of course, and I being young and naive took it to heart. They would not tell me it was a joke till the trip ended.
Once again Bob, great meeting you again after 50years. Your wife Christine also, she is a lovely person. Take care .
Stan

#10 ·
joya mc cance

Hello Shipbuilder
Just read your post about Joya Mc Cance
My first trip to sea was 28/05/1969 when I joined the Joya Mc Cance (ex Beauval) in Teesport as j/e until paying off in Cadiz (SPAIN )12/09/1969 she was a steam turbine tanker and we spent a lot of time round Venezeula US Virgin Isles a run to Hamburg and one to Nigeria before going to dry dock in Cadiz photos attached.During arrival at Cadiz on of our turbo boiler feed pumps exploded and we had to be towed in by tugs we had to shut down.
It was the only steam ship I sailed on in 16 following years as I love general cargo ships and spent 3 years with Houlders/ 1 year with Bank line and 12 years with KSC-----UASC which in my case was a good move.I have posted many threads on the UASC and UASC nostalgia pages with photos

my Joya Mc cance trip---- Capt Dixon + wife and small son/mate Mathews/c/e Herrington West Hartlepool)Mike Lucas( Falmouth) both great Buckmaster pcs John Morrisey r/o

photo of Joya Mc Cance topping up cargo at bonny nigeria from shell H boat.
2 pics in Maracaibo Lake testing lifeboat
2 pics in floating dock at Cadiz

Attachments

#13 ·
Fiat Grandee Motori 906.S, regular visitor to Dock Sud and a good run ashore.

Looking on Google Earth at Dock Sud, the Power Station has gone and the meat canning factory is now a container berth, the sweet smell of the cattle being stewed is alas no more, that is if the wind was in the right direction, if not, it was the smell of petrochemicals in the air.

#27 · (Edited)
Joya McCance

Just caught up on this topic after several years absence from the site. I joined the Joya McCance for her maiden voyage in West Hartlepool in October 1960. It was my first trip as third mate (uncertificated) after transferring from the Ledbury. Before sailing, Sir Andrew and Joya McCance were entertained for dinner on board. I was deputed to accompany them from the dock gates to the ship. As a very junior officer I didn't find it easy to engage in conversation, but Lady McCance was very pleasant and chatted to me. I remember her saying what a thrill it gave her to see her name displayed on the stern as we walked towards the accommodation ladder. Needless to say, I wasn't invited to join the dinner. That was reserved for the captain and chief engineer and a clutch of dignitaries from Houlders (Captain Allen, perhaps), Bisco and I assume some local civic office holders. The captain was George Boothby who, of course, died tragically in the Royston Grange disaster. I left the Joya McCance five months later after a few uncomfortable voyages to study for my 2nd Mate's ticket at Cardiff.

#28 ·
That was reserved for the captain and chief engineer and a clutch of dignitaries from Houlders (Captain Allen, perhaps), Bisco and I assume some local civic office holders.
Indeed there were three senior BISC(ore) people there,at least, but not I as a very junior member of the,then, Teesside staff. I seem to remember our Branch Manager and Ship Agency Manager plus one of the London Board....yes the Mayor of Hartlepool was there,saw him in the photographs, along with the local steel works management, South Durham Steel & Iron co of Hartlepool.

Capt. George Boothby, lovely man.

geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.