MV Devonia - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Devonia

User Tag List

Old 31st August 2014, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1952 View Post
QUOTE=Chris Rogers;86120]Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.
[ATTACH]Attachment 62066[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

the photographs are memorabilia fro M.S. Devonia
Old 31st August 2014, 19:13
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
The Devonia had completed 110 cruises when she was sold on 15th December 1967 for scrapping by S.A. Cantieri Nav. 'Santa Maria' of Genoa.
They commenced work at Spezia in January 1968.
Her place in the educational cruise ship service was taken over by the Uganda.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:18

Smile Devonia in 1967

I went on Devonia's last cruise in November 1967. We flew from Gatwick to Genoa where we boarded and cruised for 3 weeks, flying back from Venice. My first cruise AND flight; all for 50 Absolutely wonderful. Other kids completely stripped the ship of everything they could - even sink plugs!
Old 30th September 2014, 12:03
doric doric is offline   SN Supporter
doric

Smile The ship Devonia

As a young fellow born in Swansea, in 1927 , there was later a ship named Devonia, with a white hull, which was a ferry between Swansea and Devon. She had a sister ship on the same route named Glen usk, Does anyone remember these vessels?.

I later joined the Merchant Navy with the Shaw Savill Lines serving as a leckie o the following vessels ;-
Dominion Monarch, Wairangi, Taranaki, Waiwera, also the Royal Yacht Gothic for the Royal Commonwealth Tour of 1953/54, then the Suevic.
I then joined a vessel being built in Scotland named the Triaster, for the British Phosphate Company based in Melbourne Australia. I did many voyages on this vessel to Nauru & Ocean Islands, also the Triadic.
I came ashore in late 1959 & settled in Melbourne, & still reside here in 2014..

Terence Williams. R538301.
Old 30th September 2014, 15:22
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
I sailed on the Devonshire as DBS after having been torpedoed in the Indian Ocean
Aden to Suez 5 days 4//2/44 - 8/2/44
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:36
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1965 - Present

September 1966. I was at the Royal Hospital School and our whole year group went.
We left Tilbury on a grey evening and called at Corunna, Oporto and Bordeaux returning to Tilbury in a thick pea soup fog. I remember a horrendous storm in the Bay of Biscay on the way from Corunna to Oporto. I remember a lot of kids from Wales, well the girls anyway!
The dorms were named for explorers and I think our class was in Mungo Park.
I think I enjoyed some of it.
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:08

India To Uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend View Post
Hi, I am 39 year old from New Zealand, but my Mum, Jill Slight, was a matron on this (and sister ships) around the period 1963-1965. She still has the song sheets from the Welsh cruises of this era.

She has not improved in singing voice much over the years, but has learnt some ukulele which drowns out the voice.

She seems to remember this time proudly and with some fondness. Even if the "rusty old bag of nails" was only capable of 8 knots with a tail wind..

Mum is glad to find this page, if anyone wants to continue a conversation, feel free to do so. I will "save passwords" to this site on her computer. So future posts may not be from this cheeky young son of hers.
My family immigrated from India to the UK on this ship in December 1965. I was only six years of age and remember how our cabin got flooded and how all the crew helped us. There were 8 of us. The weather changed as we left Aiden and I think that this trip was the last ship to pass through the Suez canal. As a child it was an experience I will never forget and how the crew did pamper us, they were great. We disembarked in Genoa, arrived at Wimbledon station in December 22 at around 10 p.m.

It is nice that people still remember this ship, it was amazing playing dacoits on the deck.The irony of this all was that my primary school used the same ship for a cruise around Europe as part of my schooling.
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:08
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
when i attended school at holbrook we went on an educational cruise on her.klate 60s
Old 27th May 2016, 20:29

Drama on cruise

I was an educational cruise passenger on ms Devonia in 1965 or 66 from Tilbury to Vigo in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal and Amsterdam. On route the ship recieved an emergency call from another ship, so we had to turn around. we sailed alongside a merchant ship and a line was set up between the two ships. First the doctor from the Devonia crossed over in a bosun's chair and after a short time an injured crew member was winched back on a stretcher. This delay meant our stay in Spain was shorter than it should have been, but no-one minded as we felt we had been part of a mid-sea rescue.
Jansh

Last edited by jansh; 27th May 2016 at 21:41..
Old 27th May 2016, 21:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansh View Post
I was an educational cruise passenger on ms Devonia in 1965 or 66 from Tilbury to Vigo in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal and Amsterdam. On route the ship recieved an emergency call from another ship, so we had to turn around. we sailed alongside a merchant ship and a line was set up between the two ships. First the doctor from the Devonia crossed over in a bosun's chair and after a short time an injured crew member was winched back on a stretcher. This delay meant our stay in Spain was shorter than it should have been, but no-one minded as we felt we had been part of a mid-sea rescue.
Jansh
not sure which year it was i went on her.i remember calling in lisbon,naples and i think corsica,it was what got me hooked on merchant navy as i would have been about 12 at the time.remember a large group from dartford teachers college
Old 9th September 2016, 19:46

Welcome to share memories and photographs

I have created a Facebook page MS Devonia and MS Dunera, 1962 -1967 where you are more than welcome to join and share memories, photographs etc from your experiences aboard these two BI vessels during the educational cruises. https://www.facebook.com/groups/203724090045948/
Old 9th September 2016, 23:07

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by clecysteve View Post
I have created a Facebook page MS Devonia and MS Dunera, 1962 -1967 where you are more than welcome to join and share memories, photographs etc from your experiences aboard these two BI vessels during the educational cruises. https://www.facebook.com/groups/203724090045948/
Thank you for that link.i will take a look
Old 10th September 2016, 18:31

Regarding DEVONIA. On the website www.shipsoftheclyde.com there is a good account of DEVONIA in September 1964 while alongside at Greenock being rammed by the Swedish ore carrier TOSTERO
Old 15th September 2016, 16:47
Active: 1973 - 1986

Did a school cruise on the Devonia in 1966.......Swansea, Vigo, Malaga, Gibraltar and Lisbon then did another one on Uganda in 1970 a few months before I went to Liverpool to do "Sparky" training....that one was Swansea, Funchal Madeira, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arecife Lanzarote and Tangier. Fantastic experience for kids.
Old 15th September 2016, 20:52

My location
Sailed in Devonia as 3rd R/O, July to October 1962. Great time was had by all.
Old 16th September 2016, 01:06

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvortheEngine View Post
Did a school cruise on the Devonia in 1966.......Swansea, Vigo, Malaga, Gibraltar and Lisbon then did another one on Uganda in 1970 a few months before I went to Liverpool to do "Sparky" training....that one was Swansea, Funchal Madeira, Santa Cruz Tenerife, Arecife Lanzarote and Tangier. Fantastic experience for kids.
not sure which year i did cruise on her.was attending royal hospital school,holbrook at time.i know we called at lisbon,naples and ajacio but cant recall where else
Old 21st September 2016, 12:22

Dear old Devonia. I remember her well. I think cruise 67 may well have been her last. My schoolfriends of the time were all from Bideford Grammar in North Devon. I still have my logbook somewhere but I've a feeling my cruise was probably 66 from Millbay Plymouth south to Gibraltar, Malaga, Ceuta and Lisbon. We knew the ship's days were numbered and we berthed alongside Dunera in Lisbon. I think this was the only time the two ships had been together on educational cruises. Dunera was on her last one. The sight of see Gibraltar as the sun rose behind the rock was so magical that many many years later when I eventually did get married, it was back to Gibraltar that I went on my honeymoon. Devonia was terrible in heavy seas and I've got a black and white photo taken on the port lifeboat deck showing her ploughing home across the Bay of Biscay at an angle of 45 degrees! Where was she broken up?
Old 26th January 2017, 12:41

I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into port as we ended up at Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.

Last edited by Mon; 26th January 2017 at 12:51..
Old 18th June 2017, 23:46
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1979 - 2004

The Devonia

I sailed on her in 1967, I think it was her last trip before she was scrapped. We cruised Norway and Sweden. It was a fantastic trip and I've never forgotten it.
Old 19th June 2017, 03:31

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I sailed on her in 1967, I think it was her last trip before she was scrapped. We cruised Norway and Sweden. It was a fantastic trip and I've never forgotten it.
its what got me into a merchant navy career
Old 21st June 2017, 00:08

I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into port as we ended up at Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.
Old 21st June 2017, 00:14

Chrissy. I was on M. S. Devonia's last educational cruise, Nov 1967. I was with Bishop Fox's Girls' School, Taunton. We flew to Genoa to join the ship (at Rapallo, I think) then sailed south, round Stromboli twice, through the Straits of Messina, westwards to Palma, then Carthage followed by Valetta, Malta. Finally we sailed north up the Adriatic Sea calling in at Kotor and Dubrovnik. She finally flew the pennant into the port of Venice. Of course we school children stripped loads of things off her for souvenirs. I came home with a toilet chain that I still have somewhere. I still have my little Devonia badge and a badly damaged mug.
Old Yesterday, 12:11

I seem in My distant past remember another B&I ship that was an educational one, and converted into a hospital ship doing world health issues off west africa in the 70's or maybe the 80's.
Or am i grasping a memorries of straw- The vessels name escapes me [single funnel jobbe aboy 20. 000 gros tonnes?? I may be sleep walking]
Old Yesterday, 12:23
Active: 1973 - 1986

Hello David - the BI school cruise ships on the go in the late 60's were the 'Devonia', 'Dunera' and 'Nevasa'....these were replaced by the last of them, the 'Uganda' which was 'Taken up from Trade' for use as a Hospital ship in the Falklands war in 1982. I don't think she was converted back for school cruising when she returned but I may be wrong.