clan line/union castle magazine. - Ships Nostalgia
14:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

clan line/union castle magazine.

User Tag List

Old 15th February 2012, 00:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1988

clan line/union castle magazine.

i have been given a few of the companys staff magazine called [review] it is a monthly issue and i have the dates from august 1960 through to december 1961.The mags have lots of interesting info eg crew lists for all ships in the fleet clans,castles,kings etc.Another point of interest is there is many pictures of staff members wedding day.If anyone wants to enquire about crew lists or possible wedding photos or anything i would be happy to look through the mags to see if the info they seek is there.
Cheers,
Maurice Gibson.

Last edited by maurice gibson; 15th February 2012 at 10:03.. Reason: spelling mistake,incorrect tone
Old 15th February 2012, 08:22
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Maurice
How can you take ownership of a defunct magazine?
Suggest you get in touch with this site as they have many back issues:
http://www.bandccrewlists.co.uk/
Regards
Chris
Old 15th February 2012, 08:24

My location
Another interested site:
http://groups.google.com/group/british-and-commonwealth
Old 15th February 2012, 08:25

My location
And yet another:
http://www.unioncastlestaffregister.co.uk/
Old 15th May 2013, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice gibson View Post
i have been given a few of the companys staff magazine called [review] it is a monthly issue and i have the dates from august 1960 through to december 1961.The mags have lots of interesting info eg crew lists for all ships in the fleet clans,castles,kings etc.Another point of interest is there is many pictures of staff members wedding day.If anyone wants to enquire about crew lists or possible wedding photos or anything i would be happy to look through the mags to see if the info they seek is there.
Cheers,
Maurice Gibson.
My great uncle, George Raine, was an officer with Clan Lines. I believe his last ship was Clan Campbell and he retired in 1960. Would his retirement be noted by any chance?

George Raine
New Brunswick, Canada
Old 15th May 2013, 23:23

George,
I will look through the company magazines i have to see if i can find any mention of your uncle.
Cheers,
Maurice Gibson.
Old 15th May 2013, 23:29

george,
I will look out what i have and try and find out any mention of your uncle.
Cheers,
Maurice.
Old 16th May 2013, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice gibson View Post
george,
I will look out what i have and try and find out any mention of your uncle.
Cheers,
Maurice.
Maurice,

Thank you! In 1960, when I was a boy, we returned to Canada on board the Ellerman Lines freighter City of Ottawa after a year living in India .

My father spotted Clan Campbell in Suez harbour and we took the ship's launch over to her to make inquiries, only to be told that we had missed him by minutes. Having reached his retirement date, he had gone ashore less than a half hour before to fly home to the UK. I never did meet him.

George
Old 18th July 2013, 06:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Maurice,

Thank you! In 1960, when I was a boy, we returned to Canada on board the Ellerman Lines freighter City of Ottawa after a year living in India .

My father spotted Clan Campbell in Suez harbour and we took the ship's launch over to her to make inquiries, only to be told that we had missed him by minutes. Having reached his retirement date, he had gone ashore less than a half hour before to fly home to the UK. I never did meet him.

George
You will find Clan Campbell mentioned on this page is Oct 1960:
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page1812.html

Clan Campbell was transferred to King Line at that time and scrapped shortly after. So I assume he was on this ship a bit earlier.
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:15
Active: 1957 - 1966

Hi Maurice, I have just signed up to Ships Nostalgia and whilst surfing the various forums I came across your post dated 15th Feb. 2012 in which you mentioned you had a number of Review magazines dating from Dec 1960 through to 1961.
Some years ago I created a website www.bandccrewlists.co.uk for displaying crew lists from the Review and Clansman magazines in my possession; however I have a number missing for the years 1960 and 61 which I note you have. Needless to say I would love to add the missing ones to my website, these are Dec.60, Feb.61, Arp.61, Jun.61 and Aug.61. If you are interested in helping I would need a scan of the front cover and the pages of the crew lists from each of the magazines. If you look at my website you will see a section covering miscellaneous content, you may wish to include snippets for that section. I know this is a wild shot, you may not even see this post but here is hoping.
Regards Don Stangroom
Old 19th June 2017, 18:22
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Members may be interested in From Cadet to Commodore: The End of a Sea-Going Era, by Robert Royan, which is available on Amazon. After spending two years (1944-1946) on HMS Conway, Robert became apprenticed to the Clan Line and subsequently served on Union Castle, Bowater and OCL ships. He retired in 1990.

Robert doesn't have a computer, but if any of you remember him and want to send him a message, I can do it for you.

Regards

Ian
Old 19th June 2017, 22:30

Hi Maurice from NZ. Any info on Harry Allen, engineer from Glasgow ex Clan line? Regards.