Glasgow Nautical College. - Ships Nostalgia
23:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Glasgow Nautical College.

User Tag List

Old 26th May 2014, 19:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1981

Glasgow Nautical College.

I was passing the landmark that is Glasgow College of Nautical Studies the other day. It is being demolished to make way for some new fangled building which will form a "campus" for some re-named Glasgow college whose name escapes me. The old accommodation block has already gone, and the main building is soon to meet the same fate. Quite sad when I think about the good times I had there, even if it was only for 6 months or so. Nautical Science ONC course 1/30, August 1979 to January 1980 (plus a 2 week bonus for dummies like me who failed the nav-aids course and had to re-sit. Drink may have had something to do with that!).
Old 27th May 2014, 18:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1982

No doubt the college will be remembered by many, including the local watering facilities !
Old 27th May 2014, 18:40

Clelland and The Riverside.

I remember one lad in ONC.... as soon as he could 'finish' (aka 1100) a paper on the finals he would hoof over to the Clelland and pis*ed and then back at next paper by 1300! Every day of the exams.

Riverside... up for master's... seems to be popular for the lecturers as well. It was more serious about the work then... would have a pie and mushy peas... and a small bottle of ginger beer.

GCNS... good crowd.

Douglas Watkinson as Head
Watford
Callender
Crozier
Douglas
HH Brown
Ian Pearson
Porrie (sp)
George ...... ah can't remember his last... Bearsden
Moore LaMay (maths)
Tony.... young lad.... talk us up the Cobbler.
Signals.....

... must be more than that.

Stephen
Old 27th May 2014, 22:07
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Clelland and The Riverside.

I remember one lad in ONC.... as soon as he could 'finish' (aka 1100) a paper on the finals he would hoof over to the Clelland and pis*ed and then back at next paper by 1300! Every day of the exams.

Riverside... up for master's... seems to be popular for the lecturers as well. It was more serious about the work then... would have a pie and mushy peas... and a small bottle of ginger beer.

GCNS... good crowd.

Douglas Watkinson as Head
Watford
Callender
Crozier
Douglas
HH Brown
Ian Pearson
Porrie (sp)
George ...... ah can't remember his last... Bearsden
Moore LaMay (maths)
Tony.... young lad.... talk us up the Cobbler.
Signals.....

... must be more than that.

Stephen
Not Watford Stephen - wasn't the deputy Whiteford?
Capt Gordon
Tony? - fair haired lad - was he Tony Young?
Naismith - drove a Jaguar XJ6 or a Daimler.

Last edited by Gulpers; 27th May 2014 at 22:10..
Old 27th May 2014, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
Capt Gordon
Right.... Whiteford.
Yes, George Gordon.
Tony Young... ex Denholms.
Naismith

and one other..... fast car.... thought it was Jag also.
Old 27th May 2014, 23:49

That was the one.... Jim Milligan. Maths, Physics as well as general nav, seamanship etc.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:33
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Hmm ..... City of Glasgow College doesn't have any nautical ring to it. Maybe it's because we are all so used to Glasgow College of Nautical Studies. That said, I remember when GCNS was being built, there was a rumour that it was going to be named Clyde University of Nautical Technology.

It was also suggested that it could be named Kelvin University of Nautical Technology to avoid embarrassment.

Last edited by Gulpers; 28th May 2014 at 13:17..
Old 28th May 2014, 12:52

Every time we try to say anything on SN were come up with someone who makes smutty remarks and non-PC.

Well done!!!

One more lecturer.... Milne.

Drummond.... the brothers teaching at the C.U.N.. sorry GCNS.

One was Nav staff and his twin brother was in Eng staff. The onefrom Eng used to 'try' to teach engineering to Masters. He was in an earlier life a 2nd Eng on QUEEN MARY.

Must be a lot studens who remember the Engineering lecturers... and Radio also?

Stephen
Old 28th May 2014, 13:13
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Yes, you are spot on with those names too Stephen.
I used to enjoy Capt Porrie's Met lectures - it was always a bit of a challenge trying to cut through his thick accent.
I just can not remember the Yeoman's name, wasn't he from Devon/Cornwall way?
Old 28th May 2014, 13:19
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Abercrombie was another one who used to teach Social and Political stuff.
Old 28th May 2014, 16:40

Quote:
Yes, you are spot on with those names too Stephen.
I used to enjoy Capt Porrie's Met lectures - it was always a bit of a challenge trying to cut through his thick accent.
I just can not remember the Yeoman's name, wasn't he from Devon/Cornwall way?

Challenge to cut accents? I left a small island in mid Atlantic and went from NAESS PIONEER then straight to GCNS... you are joking?!!! Actually did quite well. On PIONEER Jr Engineer Alastair Cuthill spent a few hours with a bottle of whisky and he learned me how say 'GTF'... 'Git tae Fuc*'!!!! After that... easy! ;-) A another few dances at Highlander's Institute.... another experience.

The Yeoman... can't remember, but I remember on day standing up his box waving his signal flags.... "Remember lads when you get up for Examiner.... I drink black rum!"

Back to Alastair Cuthill. First class mate... killed in motorcycle... about '72. His mandolin playing was magic!

Stephen
Old 28th May 2014, 16:44

Quote:
Abercrombie was another one who used to teach Social and Political stuff.

We were put to Abercrombie for a class for ONC for 'Social Studies'. His first class we had a real row over his 'political' nonsense... way too 'red'. We complained to Head of Department and took us for extra maths.

Stephen
Old 28th May 2014, 17:42
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Quote:
Capt Gordon
Having a rethink, Tony the fair haired bloke - was his surname maybe Wright, not Young?
Old 28th May 2014, 17:51
Active: 1953 - 1981

Nautical Studies in Glasgow

When I went to Glasgow for second mates, the classes were held in the venerable Royal College of Science and Technology on Duke Street, now Strathclyde University.
Nautical studies were on the first floor on the left-hand side as one went in the front door.

But when I went back for Mates and Masters, we were across the road opposite the former nautical studies windows in a converted church.

The purpose-built college on Thistle Street (?) had yet to be conceived and built So it looks like it has only been used for about 50 years. Torn down? What a waste of public money!

Signals and radar observer were conducted at Irvine Harbour which was handy for me as I lived in Ayrshire.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:29
Active: 1965 - 2006

GCNS, was it not a Mk 10 Jag that George? Baldwin drove? and signals man = Palmer? Open to correction by more alive grey cells!
Old 29th May 2014, 13:06

Getting better at this/

George Gordon who had the dark blue jag.
Jim Milligan also had a small fast car.
Yeoman.... yes Palmer
and Tony Wright.
Baldwin also.

Thinking someone else who ran simulator courses.

When up for masters I decided to go to the school at Tower Hill in London. Sit up a nice flat at Nell Gwynn House... and a short ride to Tower Hill. The first morning on Monday of the course said 'Tutorial'. So.... with nothing to do... the lecturer just said, "Study your books." No printed handouts... just handwrite everything down. No lecturers to ask about problems, they had a huge book with all the questions in and answers. Go to the book, check out the number and then self check yourself. It was dreadful.... about 16 in the class. Crowded. After 3 week I decided to chuck it. Called Helen quickly and got myself on back on board LOCH LOMOND. Helen even called Tower Hill and told them I was required back on board... so got all my course fees back. ;-)

Was smart enough to go later back GCNS!

Stephen
Old 29th May 2014, 18:30

My location
None of them a patch on the old Watt Memorial College in Greenock ( says me
with tongue in cheek !.).
Old 29th May 2014, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
None of them a patch on the old Watt Memorial College in Greenock ( says me
with tongue in cheek !.).

Same lecturers just bigger house!

Was Watt a small college for nav department? Must have been hundreds go through Glasgow doing tickets for the last 150 years!

I have a pal who did Liverpool and is always to say that my ticket was inferior... just joking of course. Bast*rd!

Stephen
Old 29th May 2014, 21:15

Early 1952 after discharging iron ore at Rothsay dock arrived Greenock to convert from coal to oil. As 2nd Mate did night watches and went to Glasgow Tech by bus for my Mate's. Rember excellent ship construction lectures with trips to shipyards. The Lecturer was A Greenock Morton football player. Have forgotten his name.
Old 29th May 2014, 23:48

One of Denholm's master Calum McPhee.... I belive he studied for masters in a POW camp in the Far East. Probably enough 'lecturers' to help!
Old 30th May 2014, 15:54
Active: 1973 - Present

George Gordon was (in fact may well still be) working as a Compass Adjuster on the Clyde until recently. Occasionally swung the compass for Calmac ships coming out of Garvel drydock.
Old 30th May 2014, 22:24
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
I remember the old college in martha Street, off George Square where the Hatches, Matches and Dispatches building was. Back in 1964. Never saw the "new" bulding that's now being demolished.
Remember the old Yeoman, ex RN, nice old guy, who taught us signals and Morse. This was generally after lunch when we had been to the Dog House for a liquid lunch. I think Capt. Corse was the principal then.
On the pre sea courses we used to sail on Bardowie loch in Enterprise dinghies.
Good old days eh?
Old 31st May 2014, 00:48

First time up to GCNS was January 1971. The college was new and watched the first last blocks of Gorbals X being demolished. The Planetarium was interesting, but only ever got to used a few times. Lifeboat tickets down at Troon and sailing round The Kyles of Bute as far as Campeltown in the ROBERT GORDON. Never did take to sail boats!

Seemed that a lot of the J&J cadets were ex Glasgow. If you were from the area you went Shields. If from outside from Glasgow then you were better close to 120 St Vincent Street. Three of us from J&J, eight from SSM and one lonely from Stornoway lad was with Bank Line.

Hostel was just up from Hillfoot. Posh place. 12 cadets, matron and a couple of helpers, a few several foreman, gardners etc... and a donkey in the paddock. Food was good. Once came down shooting up in Auchterarder one end... came back with a rabbit and have it stew on Monday evening. Evening a drink in the Burnbrae Hotel. What a great way to live. No wonder we liked it.

Stephen
Old 31st May 2014, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
One of Denholm's master Calum McPhee.... I belive he studied for masters in a POW camp in the Far East. Probably enough 'lecturers' to help!
Stephen, it was Germany, Milag Nord I think. In his later years with J&J he was in Germany with his wife Mary(possibly standing by a v/l, or PR?). One of the German bigwigs there turned out to have been the gunnery officer on the 'Scharnhorst', at the time it had sank his vessel. He gave Calum a very nice souvenir from 'Scharnhorst'.

I was at GCNS(radio) 69-71, whilst it was still being built. Was it Mountbatten who officially opened it? I was there, but my memory is poor. I'm sorry to hear it is being scrapped.

Incidentally, I was RO on the 'Loch Lomond' when she was handed over early 81. Was that you that did the painting of her, in the Off's smokeroom? I don't know if anyone took it with him. John Corrin was OM at the time.

regards

Duncs
Old 31st May 2014, 11:13

Duncs,

Thanks for that info re Capt McPhee. DL Ross was 3/O in the PIONEER in 70 and was always telling me about Mc Phee and how great things were on the NAESS CHAMPION. Like an idiot I asked Training Manager and thought it would be great to sent to one of the tankers. Yeah... I got to WARWICK FORT!

I remember there was a plaque in the college and it was Mountbatten who opened it.

I remember hearing that painting someone had it. Kempsell or Frank Brown? Must be worth a fortune by now. ;-)

Was sad to say farewell of the LOCH boats. While you were packing up on the LOMOND I was on the MAREE up in Sharjah. Funny how things happen. On the of the departure from the yard of LOMOND the first party on board was held in to the large cadet's cabin. Everyone crammed inside for a good drink or two. Six years later.... last farewell of the crowd as they were heading to the airport to go home.... the last party was then in the cadets cabin. Last job was to go aft and take the ensign down. Everyone left, but I remained for a few days to see the last of the cargo out.

About a year later I went for a holiday across Canada then came down to LA and went to visit old QUEEN MARY. There sitting at Pier A, Berth 2... AL SALAMA. Went aboard and spent a great evening on board. Should have joined Salen.... had ended up with Uiterwyk Lines... good small outfit also.