MV Devonia - Ships Nostalgia
14:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Devonia

User Tag List

Old 31st October 2006, 09:06

Question MV Devonia

Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.
Old 31st October 2006, 09:13
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Chris
Please find

Devonshire (1) 1939 1939-1962 troopship, 1962 sold to British India S.N. Co., converted to educational cruise ship, renamed Devonia, 1967 scrapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devonia.jpg (13.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 31st October 2006, 09:24

Re DevoniaM

Many thanks for info and photo I must have been on one of the last cruises because on one of the tours of the ship I recall the master of arms telling us it was her last season, again thanks Chris
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:32
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1990

MV Devonia

I went on a school cruise with this ship in 1963. It was the most fantastic time of my life to that point, at only 14, I still had a long way to go. We visited:- Madeira, Tangier, Cadiz and Oporto.
Two weeks of great fun and adventure, if only school kids these days could have the same opertunity.
Happy days, very sad to hear of her demise, but my memories of her live on.
Ray
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:50
Nursie

My location
It was a great idea of BI to turn the troop ships into school ships and a wonderful opportunity for the children of that era. I joined Dunera or Devonia (can't remember which one!) in Venice, we called into Piraeus, Istanbul and Naples with day trips to Athens and Pompeii which included the Cameo factory near Naples. This involved a train trip to the ship and leaving the ship where we crossed the channel and several European countries. Not bad for a group of Northumbrian children.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:08
Department: Purser
Active: 1974 - 1978

I was also one of the lucky ones that went on a schoolkids cruise on Devonia - I recall we sailed from Swansea, but the memory is fading now. Ports visited included Bergen, Copenhagen & Amsterdam . I made a wish on the stone at Bergen's amazing Stave Church .... it was to come back one day to visit that beautiful city. I am happy to report that the wish came true ... approx 40 years later
Old 18th May 2012, 20:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1990

mv devonia

It was so lovely to hear that other school children like myself enjoyed such a fantastic opertunity to have a school cruise, and visit different countries, as well as have some lessons on board! I remembered a lot of the odd things that were taught during our trip, including how to spell mediterranean. If only my school teachers were as interesting at teaching things, albeit that the environment was superb.
Wonderful times.
Old 18th May 2012, 21:04
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
Worked on her at Elderslie Drydock as a 4th Year apprentice in 1962 when she was being converted from trooping for school cruises under British India Coy. Recall spending days scraping white metal thrust pads - think she had two Sulzer oil engines.
Old 18th May 2012, 21:57

Sailed on her for two years when she was trooping as Devonshire. Done the last voyage before she was handed over to B.I. A great ship and have some happy memories of my time on her
Old 18th May 2012, 22:54
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

I was on a cruise on the Devonia when we were in the last year of primary school so probably about 1964 or 5. I have a scrap book journal somewhere in the house from that trip. I think we joined at Southampton and went to Cherbourg, Corunna and Lisbon. I had already decided I wanted to be a sailor by then so this was my idea of heaven. I loved it although some of my wet pals were homesick.

I remember the semi-swinging bunks. I was in Mungo Park dormitory.

There was a fancy dress party, presumably on the last night?

I remember when we were all put in the lifeboats and raced round the ship. The boats had this mechanical push pull lever propulsion system that everyone in the boat had to cooperate to make work. I managed to get my foot behind the lever and bruised it quite badly. very odd system as it must have taken up a lot of potential passenger space.

Wonderful experience.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:06

Smile

Hi, I am 39 year old from New Zealand, but my Mum, Jill Slight, was a matron on this (and sister ships) around the period 1963-1965. She still has the song sheets from the Welsh cruises of this era.

She has not improved in singing voice much over the years, but has learnt some ukulele which drowns out the voice.

She seems to remember this time proudly and with some fondness. Even if the "rusty old bag of nails" was only capable of 8 knots with a tail wind..

Mum is glad to find this page, if anyone wants to continue a conversation, feel free to do so. I will "save passwords" to this site on her computer. So future posts may not be from this cheeky young son of hers.

Last edited by fiend; 1st February 2013 at 06:13..
Old 1st December 2013, 22:21

I was on the Devonia when it sailed from Liverpool to Bombay in November 1963. Where would passenger lists be kept - does anyone know? Where was she built?
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:30
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Devonia (ex Devonshire) Built 1939 by Fairfiield Ship Building Co; Glasgow.
Two Sulzer Diesels.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:02

Just out of interest,my grandfather was born on board the S.S.Devonia in 1887,en route from Glasgow to New York.He was named after the ship,and since then there has always been children named Devonia in our family,males and females.
Best Regards
Brian Mc Inally
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:39
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings trireme and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:31
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

Hi, Terry
As it happens, almost certainly I was on the same voyage as you, since that was the only time I visited Swansea as a port. It was a "junior pupil cruise" i.e. 9-11 year olds, Two names you just might remember, Andre Miles, the "Staff Officer", a Second Officer whose duties were entirely involved with the student organisation, anything from organising phased "emboating" at tendering ports, to running the nightly "disco", when the whole ship seemed to thump, before you were all sent to bed at 2100! And Eddie Haddad, the ship's "headmaster", who dealt with the scholastic side via your party leaders (teachers). At the time (May/June 1967), I was doing a couple of "makee learnee" voyages after 7 years as C/O of a rather more sedate mail liner, prior to appointment as Staff Captain on another school cruise ship, s.s. NEVASA
From the ship's people's point of view school cruising was a most enjoyable and satisfying experience. with virtually all the officers being voluntarily closely involved with the youngsters, more often than not in their off-watch time.

There are several websites full of reminiscences of erstwhile school-cruisers in DUNERA, DEVONIA, NEVASA and UGANDA
Old 21st December 2013, 00:43

mv devonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Eleff View Post
It was a great idea of BI to turn the troop ships into school ships and a wonderful opportunity for the children of that era. I joined Dunera or Devonia (can't remember which one!) in Venice, we called into Piraeus, Istanbul and Naples with day trips to Athens and Pompeii which included the Cameo factory near Naples. This involved a train trip to the ship and leaving the ship where we crossed the channel and several European countries. Not bad for a group of Northumbrian children.
Ialso went on a Devonia cruise think it was 1964 - 13/14 at time- same trip as yours - although we also did an excursion to Delphi before we got to Athenss-did you ?
Was at Blyth Grammar School - Lou McNulty - now living in Springfield, Gosford
Old 21st December 2013, 09:39
Nursie

My location
Yes, we did visit the oracle of Delphi and that fantastic auditorium. I am sure we were on the same voyage.

I don't know about you, in Istanbul we 'girls' were warned not to go about in groups of less than 4 incase we were hijacked for the 'white slave trade' or some such thing! I remember that we were offered Taxis as we wandered about until we met up with another couple of groups, we were then offered a bus!! We had been warned not to take taxis incase they absconded with us. I don't know how true any of these threats were but we took them seriously.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rogers View Post
Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.
[DEVONSHIRE had been a troopship from 1939-1962, 1962 sold to British India S.N. Co., converted to educational cruise ship, renamed Devonia, 1967 scrapped.]
Old 30th December 2013, 17:35

I was on the 1964 Student Cruise. Being on a "student cruise" with hundreds of other students from all over Europe was so exciting. We visited Vigo, Spain, Lisbon, Portugal, Tangier, Morocco, then back to London, and returned to Hook of Holland. It was a cruise of 4-5 weeks. We spent our nights in "Dormitory" style bunk rooms, with a Naval officer as our "counselor". Ours was a stocky, bearded Scotsman, can't remember his name, but our dorm was named "Gagarin" after the famous Russian astronaut. I was an American "Army Brat" a student from Frankfurt, Germany. I was 16. I had a huge crush on Anne O'Neill from Lanarkshire, Scotland. Dan Tomberlin
Old 30th December 2013, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trireme789 View Post
Just out of interest,my grandfather was born on board the S.S.Devonia in 1887,en route from Glasgow to New York.He was named after the ship,and since then there has always been children named Devonia in our family,males and females.
Best Regards
Brian Mc Inally
That was the SteamShip Devonshire, a pre-cursor to MV or MS Devonshire I think. The diesel was built in 1939.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:49

Devonia

I was on an educational cruise on this ship in 1963, we sailed from Dundee to Oslo, Leningrad, a day in Moscow, Helsinki and Copenhagen, it was a fantastic experience, to this day still love cruising and I put it all down to the Devonia.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:58
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 2011

Went on the devonia school cruise late 1960 from leith in scotland,on to copenhagen,stockholm,leningrad,great adventure for me,must have got salt in my blood as went in to the merchant navy not long after that school cruise.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:19

Devonia storing at Glasgow for first educational cruise in April 1962

There are details of Devonia storing at Glasgow from 4th to 12th April 1962 on website www.shipsoftheclyde.com
Old 31st August 2014, 18:39

memorabilia

QUOTE=Chris Rogers;86120]Hi I wonder if any of you tell the fate of ex British India vessel Devonia I was one of the many school kids that had cruises on her. The cruise i was on was cruise 67 in 1967 sailed from Swansea to Lisbon the on to Gib and then Alicante returning to Swansea perhaps some of you may have been aboard,many thanks Chris Rogers.[/QUOTE]

[ATTACH]IMG_0693 (1296 x 864).jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0688 (1296 x 864).jpg (62.1 KB, 22 views)