Ships Nostalgia banner

Shell Tanker: M.V. Frenulina

11K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  Keith Adkins 
#1 ·
Hi anyone remember a small 1000 ton(approx) tanker M.V. Frenulina who I sailed on in 1961 around the Indonesian Islands (before Bali became a tourist trap), and the occasional trip to Singapore where she was laid up in early 1962. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Ahoy ROBINJ,

Here a link to her

http://www.helderline.nl/?p=/ship_details.php?id=730

Grosvenor
GT:890 Len.:193 Beam:32 B'ldr:43 Comp.:1945
Coastal Tanker. MOWT.
1947 FRENULINA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1954 Rebuilt to 1041 g.t, 230ft.
1962 ANLOK, Teck Hwa Shipping Co, Panama.
1962 PERMINA VI, National Oil Co, Indonesia.
1974 BIMOLI 01, P.T.Bimoli, Indonesia

#4 ·
Shell's little Fs

> Hi anyone remember a small 1000 ton(approx) tanker M.V. Frenulina

In the early 1950s Shell had a number of little Fs. I can recall the Frenulina, Fossarus, Fossarina, Fusus and I think Ficus. Memory also links them with two ships still under the Empire name, the Empire Tesbury and the Empire Tescombe. All this is very much "scratching the head" stuff so I offer no guarantees !

Mike

#8 ·
Frenulina

Hi, Robin.

Remember the Frenulina well....I was R/O in the Fusinus in 1961 and our paths crossed many times on the way to Benoa....remember the Benoa Yacht Club? The bar on stilts alongside the lagoon causeway? Good job they didn't have a Health & Safety Department in those days.

The bell of the Frenulina was is (?) in a bar on Orchard Road in Singapore.

Regards,
Tony

#11 ·
2nd.Mate on 'Fossarina' 62/63. Joined at Balik Papan, Jonny Campkin Master, made myself popular when I asked if we should ring 'Full Ahead' after we cleared the channel, to be told we had been on full ahead since leaving the berth. At best she made about 8kts in good weather! But a good time all the same. Eastern Fleet small ships were a law to themselves. Great times.
Anyone remember to really shall ships, 'Lang','Kluang' and the rest. Any photos anywhere, particularily 'Lang' ?

#19 ·
Locan

I believe LOCAN was the one called SLING when she came under Norwegian flag. She certainly was smaller than LANG(Slang). Only Skipper and Mate Norwegians, the rest Chinese. Mainly on the Pladju-Muntok run.
LANG had a sister in Singapore supplying bunkers. I remember her well as we took on all of 4 tons of diesel from her! Served as 2.Mate on the LANG from july-63 until I had the luck to come down with kidney stone, and signed off in april 64. I have two pics of LANG, but if I try to include them here, I`m sure to mess it up. It`s easier by mail. So Tom, let me have your adress.
Knut.

#23 ·
Ruud`s picture is neither of Lang nor of Singapore. Looks more like East Africa to me? Picture of Lang (Norw.Slang) is in the gallery. Search for SlangXLang 1953.
Anybody can see the differences. No need to point them out.
Regards, Knut.
Knut, agree with you it is not the Lang for obvious reasons. Have been discussing this with Tom on email and can only assume it is the Landak which was a close sister and disappeared without trace in the 50,s. East Africa would have been outside of her trading area (Pladju/Singapore etc.).Regards Colin

#24 ·
Hi,

I remember the saying "The LANG can but the LOCAN no can", must have been refering to some daring feat of navigation on the Musi at night I guess.

I was on the ANTONIA, RITA, GARI and the MERATUS in those bygone days, a good meal, a few beers and ... and still change out of twopence.

Dave Howden

#26 ·
As I remember the quote was 'Pandu can do, Locan no can' pandu being indonesian for pilot. Refered to the enterance to the Djambi river, there was an island just upriver from the bar, which should be passed to starboard, but there was a short cut on the other side. The pilot took Locan on the short cut( she must have had a new Master as she didn't normally take a pilot) but when Locan tried it later without a pilot she was arrested. Or so the story goes.

#28 ·
JIm,

No, I was on her from 27/8/63 to 24/10/63 when she was coasting and from 11/2/64 to 13/4/64 when she was operating as a bunkering vessel in Singapore Harbour.On the first trip on her the Master, one Black Morgan, overuled the pilot as we were leaving Bukom and put her onto the reef/ bank that ran parallel to the jetties, much to everyones enjoyment!

#29 ·
We missed each other. I was only signed on as third mate for a few weeks waiting for a replacement. Had been on articles since very early 1964 on both Axina and Ninella and was torn between 11 more days sea time for Mates or getting home for Christmas. Almost a big mistake - While on the Rita they wanted me to transfer to one of the 'H' class (Hemiglypta I think) might have been Australian flag - the third mate there was hospitalized with a broken leg. Fortunately they flew someone in from Aussie in time and I managed to get away the week before Christmas. BTW I still need those 11 days for mates but I reckon I'll pass now.
Rita wasn't a bad berth on the bunkering assignment - plenty shore leave and the milk girls every day....

Cheers

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Saw your message re the Lang & Kluang.
I sailed as Mate onboard the Guntur from 1958 to 1959.We loaded out of Pladju and supplied Cheribon (north coast of Java) Djambi (100 odd miles up a river of the same name in Sumatra,Pontianak and occasionally Semarang.
The river passage up to Djambi was,apart from the mouth,uncharted-grounding was a regular occurrence and also,in the rainy season,floating trees became a hazard. I think it was the Kluang,who,observing one tree to starboard and one to port,bisected them neatly but only to discover that the two "trees" were but branches of the main tree that was floating submerged.Result-no propellor and a tow job to Singapore.
Have been engaged in a communication on another site regarding the fate of the Landak,which disappeared en route from Jesselton to Singapore in 1959.The hearing in Singapore was inconclusive but would be interested to know if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Regards
Mike Robinson
(edited to remove email ddress as per site policy)

#34 ·
In early 1963,I was on a tanker in Malacca one afternoon when we passed a Shell 'G' boat. The 2nd Mate said he heard that the Capt of one of the G's went over the side while bronzying on top of an awning. Change of course or something. He apparently wasn't missed until a following Ben boat called to tell them !!

Anyone know if this was true ??

David
+

#35 ·
David you are probably referring to the time that Captain Plenty of the Gena fell over the side approaching Penang and was picked up by the pilot boat, which took him ashore and he was at Butterworth when the ship docked. The ship had VHF but the pilot boat didn't. Lets say that he wasn't best pleased that he wasn't missed till seen on the jetty.
Regards
Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.