Ships Nostalgia banner

Nowshera and Nyanza

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  duquesa 
#1 ·
Anybody about who sailed as engineer on above. Served a good period of my eng. app. at the builders Scotts' of Greenock, from marking off table scribing the turbine casing forgings to outfitting in basin.

#4 ·
Hi,
This is a tad late, but I haven't been on here long.
I sailed on both. Nowshera 29/7/71-23/4/72 as 5th/4th/E/O. Nyanza 24/4/72-30/6/72 as 4/E/O. Left in Mombasa to join Raj as wanted to stay out East and not come home. You must have relieved me. Was only on the Raj for two weeks. If I remember, had 3 days in Mombasa and Totosan organised a safari to the Tsavo. I also sailed on the Nardana after the Raj. All great ships. Best years of my life were at sea with BI.
Geoff.

#6 ·
s.s.Nyanza

Goodday any BI out there,

Long long ago thread. My first ship as deck app.. What a beautiful fine handsome ship. I. Joined 1958. 55 years as a seafarer since then and never lost my admiration for her. Great race through the Med in bad weather with the Clan Malcolm.
Master Capt.Robson,C/O Pat Bidmead (closest to Sir Francis Drake I ever met),2/0 Bill Bolitho (Tough Aussie) 3/0 Dave Nurse.Deck Appies Ken Smith,Bob Palmer and Me. Great bunch of people. Engineers of course just as well but sorry cant remember names.
I see that in Fred Perry's BI bible The Nyanza had the highest speed on trials over the measured mile of any other BI ship. Never mind those so called clippers the "W"s !!
Salaams Keith Marks. South Africa

#10 ·
Goodday any BI out there,

Long long ago thread. My first ship as deck app.. What a beautiful fine handsome ship. I. Joined 1958. 55 years as a seafarer since then and never lost my admiration for her. Great race through the Med in bad weather with the Clan Malcolm.
Master Capt.Robson,C/O Pat Bidmead (closest to Sir Francis Drake I ever met),2/0 Bill Bolitho (Tough Aussie) 3/0 Dave Nurse.Deck Appies Ken Smith,Bob Palmer and Me. Great bunch of people. Engineers of course just as well but sorry cant remember names.
I see that in Fred Perry's BI bible The Nyanza had the highest speed on trials over the measured mile of any other BI ship. Never mind those so called clippers the "W"s !!
Salaams Keith Marks. South Africa
Hi, was the Bob Palmer you mentioned from Birmingham. date sounds about right. If it was him, he was with me at pre sea school in Cardiff. Good bloke. I had ssome brief contact with (or about) him through this site some years ago but nothing heard since. Didn't realise he had gone into BI.

#9 ·
ss Nyanza

I sailed on Nyanza as 3rd Engineer from Karachi to Hong Kong in May/June 1970 (hard to believe 50years ago!) at the end of a 3year 'Eastern Service spell' and on my way to 10 months leave in Aussie. Short time on board but a great crowd of officers. Thought the engine room was a lot hotter than the Woodarra which had similar machinery but had a bulkhead between engine room and boiler room.
Salaams
Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.