Ships Nostalgia banner

Masters/Deck Officers/RO's list 65-67

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Martyn Robinson 
#1 ·
The attached list was published in1966 or 1967. Can't remember who produced it, but 'Active Members' suggests maybe a Trade Union? I joined my first ship Konini December 1965.
Cheers
Dryden

Attachments

#2 ·
Thanks for that Dryden, a few years after my time but I recognise quite a few names including my old father in law Bernard Avery, Captains Bales, master of my last ship 'Tararewa', Andy Keyworth last first mate of "Pamir' and skipper of 'Navua'. Dave Lockhead was a 1st mate in my time.
Quite a few names seem to be missing from the masters list but there were a few due to retire in the early 60's.
Trade Union? they would have all been members of the Merchant Service Guild.

Bob

#3 ·
Hello Bob, thanks for the info. Was that 'Bluey' Avery? I think I was in the Waimate with him, he was a great character, and the only master I sailed with who without fail came to the radio room every night to ask 'So what's happening Sparks?'
I guess it was not compulsory to join the union, so it's possible not all are on the list.
Cheers
Dryden

#4 ·
That's him Dryden, he was a character in his own way but one of the worst ship handlers of his time. Like many others he thought that compressed air for engine starts grew on trees or came out of thin air.
I went for a ride from Auckland wharves to the Calliope dry dock one time and we had to pause for breath in the engine room. A good man never the less.
He passed away in 2000.
I think that the membership of the Merchant service guild was compulsory for all deck officers as was the Marine Engineers Institute for Ship's engineers but maybe Radio Officers were not included

Bob

#7 ·
Bob, "Gentleman James" Kirk was master of the Kaitoa in 1960 when we attempted to tow a ferry from Auckland to Hobart.
He was one of the best ship handlers I sailed with and a nice bloke all round.

Re the seagoing Unions, we had the Merchant Service Guild covering the deck Officers, the Marine and power engineer's Institute covering the Engineers and electricians, the Cooks and Stewards union for the catering department and finally the all powerful Seaman's Union covering seamen and motormen.
As I recall the MSG and IMPE were fairly compliant with the company's path but it was the seaman's union that got us the simple things like washing machines to replace electric clothing boilers, on board TV and other trappings.

Bob

#8 ·
Yes, the R.O. operated the telegraph on many USSCo ships including Bluey's, my arm still aches. Every movement was written down, and the C.E's language was not good. In fact I think we did actually run out of air once. I sailed with Titch Brayshay in the Waimea from May 67 to August 67, another unique character. They were likeable men though, despite their querks. I have just noticed that my first Captain - Gibson, is missing from the list (Dec 65 to March 66 Konini). Anyone sail on the Waiana? My favourite, best Main Transmitter I've used ( AWA MOPA). Did the last voyage into Auckland, balls out 15 knots. Became the Express Trader - sunk, mined by the Viet Kong 69.
Dryden

#14 ·
Andreassen, was the Harbour Board Dredgemaster....Brown J A....Callender P W....Culleton R L....Galloway D W was Deputy Harbourmaster....Jenkins A F....Kerswill R J....Mitchell K D....Sword C M. The ones not marked were all pilots. Harbourmaster at this time was name of Suckling. Dutch L M was a harbour board launchmaster as was Newey D.....Olssen A R was the Union Company tugmaster and Millar D A was the Union Company Wharf Super.

#17 ·
Titch Brayshay and a Chief Engineer whose name evades me had an 'entertaining' relationship. As a junior cadet I had the job of passing on to Titch the message from the Chief as we were attempting to berth at Timaru. (The typical sequence in quick succession : "Dead Slow Ahead; Stop; Dead Slow Ahead; Stop"...etc)
"Tell the Old Man we have air for another start or a toot on the whistle!"
On a Trans Tasman crossing I was in an Engineers cabin when we heard a ruckess coming from the Chief's cabin. Looking down the alleyway there was Titch flat on his **** having been thrown out by the Chief.
Titch had sneeked in, pulled up the sheet and started pulling the hairs on Chiefees leg saying: "More revs Chief; more revs"
Strange days; but entertaining!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.