Ships Nostalgia banner

Halcyon, training vessel, Warsash

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Peter James Barrett 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yacht Halcyon

Hello,

I would love to hear from any cadets or anyone who has served on the sail training vessel Halcyon, which was based at Warsash for many years.

She is currently undergoing a massive refit in Tommi Nielsens Classic dockyard in Gloucester which is now nearing completion.

She will be travelling Northern European waters for private and charter use.

Pleade feel free to contact me with any information.

Regards,
Robert Hickman

#7 ·
Yacht Halcyon

I sailed on the Halcyon when she took part in the Tallships Race in 1974. We took part in the leg from Portsmouth to St Malo and back.

The welcome in Pompeii and St Malo was terrific - never seen so many pretty girls in my life, and all looking for a sailor to walk out with. We were in heaven.

It blew up pretty fresh on the way home and we did most of the last day with the decks awash and scuppers half under.

Here's a photo of some of the boys. It was taken in St Malo.

Attachments

#11 ·
Yacht Halcyon

I sailed on the Halcyon when she took part in the Tallships Race in 1974. We took part in the leg from Portsmouth to St Malo and back.

The welcome in Pompeii and St Malo was terrific - never seen so many pretty girls in my life, and all looking for a sailor to walk out with. We were in heaven.

It blew up pretty fresh on the way home and we did most of the last day with the decks awash and scuppers half under.

Here's a photo of some of the boys. It was taken in St Malo.
Just found this page searching for Halcyon. I was on the Tall Ships race 1974 with these guys!
Far left is "geordie" - Dave Ayres - can't recall the other guy's names.
I got seconded to a Breton sailboat going to from Pompey to St Malo - awesome fun.
Never seen so many handsome shirtless guys in my life :) there were quite a few looking for a sailor to walk out with too!
Them were the days!
Neil

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Halcyon Days!!!

Did my time on the boat about Nov 71 - fortunately the weather was to rough and the furthest we got was Gosport. Seem to remembe rit was Capt Ward as skipped with Bosun Gibson and maybe Massy.

Slept in that funny little berth at the top of the engine room so though it smelt I was warm.

Lasting memory was the palava getting ready - trolleys of ready made pies and tins of food from the kitchen, paddling out to the Halcyon in the duty boat!!!!bit of fog and mist on the water we could have been smugglers!

Only thing I came away with (never did fully master the brace lever thingy or timing!) was how to tie a bowline when a line parted on the Gosport pontoon

Hi to Dave Smith there - a recognisable name from the past !

Email address removed as per site policy - MS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.