Ships Nostalgia banner

Container ships

9K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Peter B 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what container ship is the biggest in the world and how many containers would it hold?

Another question we hear a lot about containers falling off these big ships is it true that this occurs frequently and in what numbers.

Just a few questions for people to rack their brains

Bob (Sydney ) (*))

#2 ·
A couple of years ago, I recall reading about a container ship called 'Berlin' (HAPAG?). She was the biggest then, but may have been superceded by now. Not sure of her cargo capacity, but it was BIG! Over to you, Ruud.

A few days ago, I heard about a container being lost from a ship in the channel and thousands of soft toys were washed ashore on the Sussex beaches. It looked like Toyland was achieving what Hitler failed to do! "We'll fight them in the toybox, we'll fight them under the bed, we'll fight them down the back of the settee...."

The company which owned the cargo said that anyone finding the toys could keep one each and the rest had to go to charity. Nice ending.

John T.

#3 ·
Not sure but i think Maersk may have biggest, 9000 teu although there is talk of larger ones been built. Plenty do go overboard. Seen pics of some going overboard in Australian Bight from an OCL ship i think and remember reading some years ago in North Pacific during typhoon plenty went over from various ships.

#4 · (Edited)
Ahoy,
the Berlin Express:
Name:Berlin Express IMO No:9229855Ex: Built:3/2003Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:85,000 Draft:14.50 Builder:Hyundai H.I.GT:100,000 LOA:320.00 Owner:Hapag-LloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:-/-Class:GL Depth:0.00 Engine Type:Burmeister & WainTEU:7,200

the Colombo Express:
Name:Colombo Express IMO No:9295244Ex: Built:3/2005Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:104,400 Draft:14.60 Builder:Hyundai H.I.GT:93,750 LOA:335.00 Owner:Hapag-LloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:25.30/-Class:GL Depth:24.50 Engine Type:Burmeister & WainTEU:8,750
the P&O NEDLLOYD MONDRIAAN
Name:P&O Nedlloyd Mondriaan IMO No:9289922Ex:Mondriaan Star Built:12/2004Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:95,000 Draft:13.54 Builder:IHI Marine UnitedGT:90,000 LOA:335.00 Owner:P&O NedlloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:-/-Class:GL Depth:24.40 Engine Type:SulzerTEU:8,162
-----------

They will be bigger and bigger, there are plans to make up till 10.000 TEU, and as said before, a lot of containers have been lost, last week.....plenty of whisky.......what a pity......not as in the film once,with bottles and barrels, no these are sunk with the containers.
Note:
Tonnes of whisky swept into the sea off Wales
NINETY-TWO tonnes of whisky and liquor have been swept into the sea off the coast of Wales.
In an incident that had all the makings of a Welsh version of movie classic Whisky Galore! the container carrier Endeavour shed its payload near the Pembrokeshire coast on Thursday night. The four 40ft containers were swept overboard about 35 miles from St Ann's Head.
Three of the containers each contained 22 tonnes of whisky while a fourth contained 26 tonnes of an unidentified liquor. But hopes it could rival the plot of the 1949 film were soon dashed. In Whisky Galore! - itself based on a true story - Scottish islanders stumble across a boozy bonanza after a ship carrying 50,000 cases of whisky runs aground on their coastline. In the case of the Endeavour's cargo, all four containers were reported to have sunk by yesterday morning.
Bill Muldrew, watch manager at Milford Haven Coastguard Station, said, "We put out a message for vessels to look out for these containers. But they're all reported to have sunk - and we're very disappointed about that!":mad: (Night) (Pint) No bootlegging mate, sorry for you.

#5 ·
Ruud- I'm just new to this site, but really enjoy it, especially as it brought me to an old shipmate from 40 years ago. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the depth of knowledge here, especially from you. Your knowledge and resources are truly amazing, so, heres an easy question for you. You reffered to Container ships as being so many TEU's. What is / are TEU's please.
Also, many years ago (1950's ) there was a tug in Melbourne named Swiftness. My father was Engineer on it , and I'm now trying to get some more info on it. I believe it was used by Canadian Coast Guard , or Fisheries as a patrol vessel. It was laid up in Melbourne for a few years and then went down to Hobart , re engined and used there for many years . Scuttled in deep water around 20 years ago. Do you have any info on her please, Builders , dates etc?

#6 · (Edited)
As far as I know , the biggest container vessel in the world in operation today (Nov 2005) is the MSC Pamela which was built at Samsung, 9,200 TEU, her length is 337 metres, breadth 45.6 metres. GRT 107,200.

Prior to this we are probably looking at the CSCL Asia which has 8,500 TEU.

The Gudrun Maersk is the longest container vessel with a length of 367 metres but carries "only" 7,000 TEU. GRT 97,333,

Currently ordered or already under construction are 4 vessels to be built by Hyundai with a capacity of 10,000 TEU each. 349 metres in length, draft 27.2 metres!! Ordered by China Ocean Shipping. These would be delivered from end 2007 onwards.

All this towards the ultimate of 12,500 TEU vessels which are on the drawing board and would be the biggest ever to consider (at this stage).

It very much looks like a similar race between supertankers in the 60's and 70's. and which at a certain time also reached their limits.

The above for what it is worth and in case somebody has more updated info, then please revert accordingly.
Jan

#7 · (Edited)
Swiftness - tugboat

Tugboat Swiftness, built by Fleming and Ferguson, Paisley in 1920, first as Fishguard, then renamed Plover and in 1937 renamed Swiftness, was then registered in Melbourne, she was converted to diesel in 1958 and owned by Derwent Tug Co in Hobart, Tasmania.
Burnt out and scuttled in Storm Bay, near Betsey Island, Tasmania on 21st Aug 1979 in 28 metre deep waters..

#8 · (Edited)
Ahoy Oz & Jan,

First of all I like to thank Jan for his correct answers.(Thumb) Indeed the MSC Pamela is the biggest of all those so called " box boats", but carries a less no: TEU containers,but there are no specified details on that.[A "TEU" is a standard "Twenty Foot Equivalent Unit" steel ocean shipping container. Thus containers are called "TEU's. 2 twenty foot=40 foot is called:Forty Foot Equivalent Units" or "FEU's,but "TEU" is the standard term regardless.]The underway losses of Containers is putt by Lloyds earlier this year about 10.000.!!!!!
Here the MSC Pamela, borrowed from my friend Maik Ebel

© maik ebel http://www.msc-facts.tk/ it's worth visiting his site, all MSC ships.
Name:MSC Pamela IMO No:9290531Ex: Built:7/2005Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:110,000 Draft: Builder:Samsung Shipbuilding H.I.GT:99,500 LOA:334.00 Owner:Offen, Claus-PeterNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:25.20/-Class:GL Depth:0.00 Engine Type:Burmeister & WainTEU:9,200 FEU: Reefer Plugs:700

#13 · (Edited)
Ahoy John,

Hier nog wat meer gegevens:
Some details more:

MSC Pamela: From paper to the completed ship
December 2003:
Design increased from 8,200 to 9,200 TEU
January to October 2004:
Ship strength analysis, lateral acceleration testing and plan approval by Germanischer Lloyd
October 2004:
Steel cutting at the Samsung shipyard in Geoje City
February 2005: Keel laying
April 2005: Completion
June 2005: Trial voyage
July 2005: Naming and delivery

Important facts at a glance MSC Pamela and sister vessels: Orderer:
Claus-Peter Offen GmbH & Co.​

Owner:
MSC​

LOA:
336.7 m​

LBP:
321 m​

Width:
45.6 m​

Moulded depth:
27.2 m​

Draught:
15 m​

Gross tonnage:
107,849 GT​

Deadweight:
110.592 tdw​

Container total:
9,200 TEU​

Rows on deck:
18​

Rows in hold:
16​

Layers on deck:
7​

Layers in hold:
10​

Reefer container

connections:
700 FEU​

Engine power:
69,000 kW​

Engine type:
MAN B&W 12K 98MC-C License​

Speed:
25.2 knots​

Character of classification/hull: 100 A5 with freeboard 5.238 m, IW NAV-O RSD Star, BWM-F SOLAS-II-2, Reg. 19, Container Ship, Environmental Passport

#14 · (Edited)
Ahoy John,

And some more details:

Im Jahre 2006 wird es dann einen weiteren Meilenstein in der Containerfahrt geben, mit einem 13.000 TEU Superschiff, das eine Steigerung um 3.500 TEU zum bisherigen Rekorhalter Gudrun Maersk bringen wird.

[In English]

Another milestone in the Container-trade will be reached in 2006, a super ship with 13.000 TEU,that's 3500 TEU more then today's Record holder Gundrun Maersk.

Built:June 2005
Name:Gudrun Maersk
LOA:367,28
B:42,80(7500)
TEU:9500
BRT:97.933
DWT:115.700
Wharf:Odense
Company:Maersk-Sealand/DK

#15 ·
Would there be a difference between Gudrun Maersk and Gundrun Maersk??
This must be a mix up.
Is the new vessel with 9,500 TEU (?) already operational?

My info on the Gudrun Maersk is that she carries 7,000 TEU

I spent some time in Lindo Shipyard many years ago.
This shipyard is of course owned by APM and it looks like they are still very much progressing along with those huge boxships todate.

#16 ·
To Ruud and Jan Hendricks, thanks for explaining TEU's, its obvious now I've ben told!!.
Jan, Swiftness has special appeal to me, so again, thanks. Is it possible to find out more of her history? Built in Scotland, named Fishguard. I wonder if that backs up my being told that she was a Fishing Patrol Vesel?? And where??
How did she end up in Melbourne after a name change to Plover??.Curioser and curioser!! Again, thanks to those that have organised this great site.

#17 · (Edited)
I cannot find much more info.The Fishguard was built in 1920 , yard no 469, initial Owner: Tophen Jones. Could she inititially been built as a dredger type?
The shipyard closed down in 1970 I think. There was some take over in the 80's and they dissolved in 2001.

You may have more luck going through the National Archives.

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/collects/catalog/ugd/201-250/ugd207.html

Jan

#19 ·
Jan Hendrik said:
Would there be a difference between Gudrun Maersk and Gundrun Maersk??
This must be a mix up.
Is the new vessel with 9,500 TEU (?) already operational?

My info on the Gudrun Maersk is that she carries 7,000 TEU

I spent some time in Lindo Shipyard many years ago.
This shipyard is of course owned by APM and it looks like they are still very much progressing along with those huge boxships todate.

It's a typo. The vessel name is GUDRUN MAERSK and she was delivered in August. The GUNVOR MAERSK is the most recent delivery in the 'G' series, being handed over at the end of October. The GUNVOR MAERSK is the last unit in the 'G'-class trio (after the GUDRUN MAERSK and GRETE MAERSK) which is understood to be a lengthened version of the AXEL series, with a length of 367 m, i.e. 15 meters more than the AXEL ships. They retain a 17 rows breadth. APM famously do not disclose the true nominal capacity of their Odense-built containerships, but for the G series, analysts suggest a figure of 9,100 teu at seven tiers on deck, with a provision for forward visibility. This figure is a conservative one and it cannot be excluded that a new holds configuration may allow to squeeze more boxes under deck. The capacity of these ships are comparable to the shorter but wider (18 rows) MSC PAMELA series.

Next to come from Odense, in February 2006, is the first of a new series of ships, coded 'PS 7500', wider than the current 17 rows series and for which Maersk does not deliver any information. There are indications that these new ships are clearly wider than the 17 rows series, with even possibilities that they could be 22 rows ships (55 meters wide), which means that their capacity may hover around 12,500 teu if delivered in a short version, with possibilities to load around 15,000 teu if delivered with a length of 405 meters.

Phil

#20 ·
WOT? Those containers have sunk off St Annes head? Quick! Where's my diving suit???

#25 ·
Whisky!!

ruud said:
Ahoy,
the Berlin Express:
Name:Berlin Express IMO No:9229855Ex: Built:3/2003Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:85,000 Draft:14.50 Builder:Hyundai H.I.GT:100,000 LOA:320.00 Owner:Hapag-LloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:-/-Class:GL Depth:0.00 Engine Type:Burmeister & WainTEU:7,200

the Colombo Express:
Name:Colombo Express IMO No:9295244Ex: Built:3/2005Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:104,400 Draft:14.60 Builder:Hyundai H.I.GT:93,750 LOA:335.00 Owner:Hapag-LloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:25.30/-Class:GL Depth:24.50 Engine Type:Burmeister & WainTEU:8,750
the P&O NEDLLOYD MONDRIAAN
Name:P&O Nedlloyd Mondriaan IMO No:9289922Ex:Mondriaan Star Built:12/2004Type:Container Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:GermanyDWT:95,000 Draft:13.54 Builder:IHI Marine UnitedGT:90,000 LOA:335.00 Owner:P&O NedlloydNT: Beam:42.80 Speed/Cons:-/-Class:GL Depth:24.40 Engine Type:SulzerTEU:8,162
-----------

They will be bigger and bigger, there are plans to make up till 10.000 TEU, and as said before, a lot of containers have been lost, last week.....plenty of whisky.......what a pity......not as in the film once,with bottles and barrels, no these are sunk with the containers.
Note:
Tonnes of whisky swept into the sea off Wales
NINETY-TWO tonnes of whisky and liquor have been swept into the sea off the coast of Wales.
In an incident that had all the makings of a Welsh version of movie classic Whisky Galore! the container carrier Endeavour shed its payload near the Pembrokeshire coast on Thursday night. The four 40ft containers were swept overboard about 35 miles from St Ann's Head.
Three of the containers each contained 22 tonnes of whisky while a fourth contained 26 tonnes of an unidentified liquor. But hopes it could rival the plot of the 1949 film were soon dashed. In Whisky Galore! - itself based on a true story - Scottish islanders stumble across a boozy bonanza after a ship carrying 50,000 cases of whisky runs aground on their coastline. In the case of the Endeavour's cargo, all four containers were reported to have sunk by yesterday morning.
Bill Muldrew, watch manager at Milford Haven Coastguard Station, said, "We put out a message for vessels to look out for these containers. But they're all reported to have sunk - and we're very disappointed about that!":mad: (Night) (Pint) No bootlegging mate, sorry for you.
Ruud, if I hear any fishermans tales about fish swimming sideways into the net we will know where to start diving my friend LOL think there is enough there for a few bottles each. Billyboy

#26 ·
Some funny articles seem to come off container ships
Container M/V Bunga Pelangi suffered 4 overside containers off Littlehampton, W Sussex England earlier this week -- releasing thousands of toy pink hippopotamuses, red turkeys & Christmas decorations -- part of a cargo of 60,000 toys, worth £100,000, lost when ship shed 4 containers in rough seas on way to Southampton on Oct. 31. The Shropshire firm which ordered the toys said locals could keep one each and give the rest to animal charities. Rosewood Pet Products said it could help make Christmas a good one for dogs and cats in rescue homes & shelters.Expect more hippos at W Sussex. From our Correspondent A.L. Griffiths (Fri. Nov. 4, 2005)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.