Ships Nostalgia banner

Grimsby Fishing Vessels

665K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  HauntedSerenade 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've started this thread to discuss Grimsby fishing vessels. I'm in the process of compiling a database of the above and, would welcome any contributions on this theme. ie. photo's, stories of life on board, histories of the vessels etc.

Hopefully as this thread develops, it can become a reference point for people with similar interests.

Regards

Clem

#78 · (Edited)
Skipper John Monger

Dave,

On the Grimsby trawler website "Sidewinder", currently being rebuilt after some technical problems, there is a section on Grimsby Skippers. John C. Monger is mentioned as Skipper of "Ernest Holt", but no other information. See http://www.embark.to/sidewinder. The site belongs to Ray Richardson and he may be able to help you further.

Another site that may be of interest is "Harry Tates Navy" (Google will find it) - lots of information about requisitioned trawlers in WW2 and fishermen who ended up in the RN.

Good luck.

John T.

#79 ·
Hi Dave, you can also try this link. It may help also it has a forum where you may pick up some info.

Regards

Clem

Records of Service in Royal Navy - For Service 3rd September 1939 to Present Day

Pay, Pensions and Personnel Administration
AFPAA (Centurion)
RN Records and DPA
Room 086
Centurion Building
Grange Road
Gosport
Hants PO13 9XA

Tel. 023 9270 2174 Fax.023 9270 2211

http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/

#80 ·
Dave,

I asked my old boss and trawler guru, Barney Warman about "Ernest Holt" and here's what he said:

"Oh yes the Ernest Holt was a nice looking trawler, something like the St Amante class but she was just for the White Fish Authority, didnt land catches and that sort of thing, just went around the various grounds checking the water temps and that sort of thing, probably the odd haul to see if there was fish at certain places. You never saw her in the fish dock alwayus in the Royal dock"

She must have been a research ship - wonder if there are any photos about?

John T.

#81 · (Edited)
GY591 Ernest Holt

Here's a couple photos of GY591 Ernest Holt. She was built for M.A.F.F. in December 1948 by Cochrane's of Selby. She worked out of Grimsby and Leith in her capacity as a Fisheries Research Vessel. I have record of her going to Lowestoft in March 1971.

Clem

#83 ·
Ernest Holt

There we go December 1948 captain on her maden voiage E.R.Ingham from Burnley and her fishing skipper was J.C.Monger my Grandfather, have a puplication and photo from Grimsby telegraph Jan 16 2006. She was a research ship and was alway moored at the Royal dock. what i am realy interested in are the war years when fishing vessels were converted to mine sweepers. etc etc which ship did he captain both to Dunkurk and Normandy.

cheers

Dave

#84 · (Edited)
daveb said:
what i am realy interested in are the war years when fishing vessels were converted to mine sweepers. etc etc which ship did he captain both to Dunkurk and Normandy.

cheers

Dave
That could be difficult without accessing your grandfathers service records. When did he receive his DSC and MBE? You could search The London Gazette for these awards, maybe mention is made of his ship/ships.

Clem

#86 ·
Grimsby Trawlers.

Hi Clem,
Very interesting to see this new thread. In late `60s I worked for a while for Ross Trawlers in Grimsby, as R/O, sailing on the Ross Kandahar, and the Ross Jupiter. The Kandahar was Icelandic fishing, and the Jupiter middle water, i.e. Faeroes. I`d been deep sea since going to sea, and life on these vessels was a real eye-opener. At the time, I was living in N.Wales, so you can imagine the struggle to get home, have a couple of nights at home, and then back to GY for sailing after 3 days ashore. It was all too much in the end, so I got a job in Fleetwood, firstly with Hewett trawlers, and then with Wyres. Getting too and from Fleetwood only took about 4 hours, which was much easier.

#842 ·
Hi Clem,
Very interesting to see this new thread. In late `60s I worked for a while for Ross Trawlers in Grimsby, as R/O, sailing on the Ross Kandahar, and the Ross Jupiter. The Kandahar was Icelandic fishing, and the Jupiter middle water, i.e. Faeroes. I`d been deep sea since going to sea, and life on these vessels was a real eye-opener. At the time, I was living in N.Wales, so you can imagine the struggle to get home, have a couple of nights at home, and then back to GY for sailing after 3 days ashore. It was all too much in the end, so I got a job in Fleetwood, firstly with Hewett trawlers, and then with Wyres. Getting too and from Fleetwood only took about 4 hours, which was much easier.
Did you ever sail with Barry stokes who was skipper on the above cheers

#87 · (Edited)
GY123 Ross Kandahar

Nelson said:
Hi Clem,
Hi Nelson, did you ever work with skipper Barry Jacklin on the Kandahar? He had her for three trips from the beginning of '69 (all Icelandic trips), before having the Kashmir for over a dozen trips. He also skippered the Kelly, Kelvin, Khartoum and Ross's Archer.

You must have spent most of your time ashore travelling between GY and your home! I can understand how Fleetwood suited you better. How did fishing in Fleetwood compare to Grimsby?

Regards

Clem

#88 ·
John Burlingham 1917

Hi everyone,

anyone have any info on what I believe was a Grimsby vessel??? The John Burlingham. Her Ships bell is at auction tommorow morning and I'm struggling to confirm either way her origin. I have numerous reference books regarding Grimsby but would love a definitive list of all the trawlers that sailed out of much loved port. Is there such a list??? he bell is engraved John Burlingham 1917. No mention of Grimsby is this the norm? I always understood that the ships bell was engraved with the name and its port. Any info would be greatly appreciated either on the afore mentioned ship or as to were I can find more info on the numerous companies etc.

#89 · (Edited)
GY829 John Burlingham

Hi F.D.R. Here's some info. regarding GY829 John Burlingham/Rehearo

Official Number: 143801
Port of Registry: Grimsby
Number: GY829
Name: John Burlingham
Callsign: n/k
Type: Steam Trawler
Built: 07/1917
By: Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd. Beverly
Gross Tonnage: 266
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 125.2 ft.
Beam: 22 ft.
Draught: 12.2 ft.
(Note: Measurements are in Feet and Tenths of Feet)
Engines: T. 3 cy. 62 RHP
By: Amos & Smith Ltd. Hull
Owner: G.F. Sleight
Comments: Built for the Admiralty as ‘Non Standard’ (hull) Castle Class minesweeper; Armament 1-12pdr 1-Bomb Thrower; Owners 1/1920 Sir G.F. Sleight (4/20 Renamed Rehearo); 11/33 G.F. Sleight & R.L. Humphreys; Admiralty Service 9/40 Minesweeper Returned 12/45 or 1/46; 5/49 G.F. Sleight & Sons
Fate: Scrapped 1961

For a pretty complete list Grimsby side trawlers try to find a copy of this:

'The Steam Trawlers and Liners of Grimsby' by Charles B. Cox ISBN 0 9513927 4 3

The author also published a catalogue of Grimsby fishing smacks.

Will you be at the auction, if so, would it be possible to get a photo of the ships bell?

Cheers

Clem

#90 ·
Hello.

I have not figured out yet, how to operate on such message boards, so this is the first attempt.

The Esther, (smack to the english, "kutter" to the Icelandic, and "Slup" to the Faroese.) was first registered in Iceland under the strange name "Grimsby Ice Company", or G.I.C. It belonged to a company in Seydisfjordur, called "Gardar" which was controlled by the British Hewett or Hewitt family.

Second enquiry. From about 1910 the Grimsby shipowner Alec Black had a number of trawlers registered in Thorshavn, the Faroe Islands as property of a certain Christian Evensen. Does anybody have any information about this.

#92 ·
John Burlingham 1917

Thanks Clem,

i think thats the book they always use out when I go to the reference library i'll try to get hold of a copy. I'm going to the auction now so will try to get a photo of the bell, if i can keep up with the bidding and am lucky enough to buy the bell i'll definatly send you a photo. Fingers crossed.

Fishdockroad

#97 ·
The Call of the Sea

john shaw said:
Hilary-- yes,that is indeed the same picture-- I will try to photograph tomorrow for Clem,but if it does not succeed perhaps you would also do it- I'll report back! Thanks
Remember John drawing attention to the print called The Call of the Sea last week? The artist is selling prints of it on ebay £5.99 post free. I'm not on commission or anything, just thought you might be interested.

There is another called Northern's Pride, which is of Northern Pride and Northern Duke.

Hilary

#98 ·
fishdockroad said:
Hi Clem,

I got the Bell. I'm absolutly delighted I'll post some photos asap. I checked with the library at Gy but they dont have any copies left.

Thanks for all your help.

FDR
I just wanted to say congratulations on your purchase, I think it's brilliant how things get "rescued" by enthusiasts. If not for that, everything would be gone.

Clem - was the Rehearo actually originally registered at Grimsby under the name John Burlingham? I haven't got that one on my list, so perhaps I should add it.

#99 ·
Clem said:
Hi Birgir, I'll have a look in some books to see if I can come up with some info. for you.

Could this, GY152 GIC, be the Esther?

Clem
HI Clem.

Unfortunately, the general characteristics of the smacks/kutters is such that it is very difficult to say whether two pictures are of the same ship, or different ones.

Esther is best known in Iceland for the rescue of the crews of 4 open fishing boats, 38 men, on march 24. 1916. She was sold to the Faroese in 1924.

Birgir

#101 ·
birgir said:
HI Clem.

Unfortunately, the general characteristics of the smacks/kutters is such that it is very difficult to say whether two pictures are of the same ship, or different ones.

Esther is best known in Iceland for the rescue of the crews of 4 open fishing boats, 38 men, on march 24. 1916. She was sold to the Faroese in 1924.

Birgir
Thanks for that. When I visit a friend I'll check his books to see if there was more than one G.I.C. The year 1916 helps.

Were the crews of these four boats line fishing?

Clem