Ships Nostalgia banner

Grimsby Fishing Vessels

665K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  HauntedSerenade 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've started this thread to discuss Grimsby fishing vessels. I'm in the process of compiling a database of the above and, would welcome any contributions on this theme. ie. photo's, stories of life on board, histories of the vessels etc.

Hopefully as this thread develops, it can become a reference point for people with similar interests.

Regards

Clem

#102 ·
mattarosa said:
I just wanted to say congratulations on your purchase, I think it's brilliant how things get "rescued" by enthusiasts. If not for that, everything would be gone.

Clem - was the Rehearo actually originally registered at Grimsby under the name John Burlingham? I haven't got that one on my list, so perhaps I should add it.
Thanks for that, have now posted a photo.

#103 ·
John Burlingham 1917

Hi all,

hopefully I've managed to post a photo of the bell. I'm new to this forum and just have to say that I think its great. Obviously a lot of knowledgable people out there. The posts have raised a few questions mind. If the John Burlingham was'nt registered in Grimsby until 1920 where was it registered up until that date?

Did the number GY829 stay with the ship when she was renamed? And why did they rename them?

And finally the biggest question of all for myself at the moment is who was John Burlingham??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fishdockroad

Attachments

#104 ·
fishdockroad said:
Hi all,

>hopefully I've managed to post a photo of the bell.

>And finally the biggest question of all for myself at the moment is who was >John Burlingham??

The bell is brilliant, I am envious. Where are you going to put it?

Over 500 trawlers were built for the Admiralty during the First World War as part of a programme to replace fishing trawlers that had been requisitioned for minesweeping, and lost. The vessels under this programme were named after the crew of the HMS Victory and the HMS Royal Sovereign at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar.

I don't know whether the John Burlingham was one of these, but it was built in 1917, so I think it is quite possible it was.

Hilary

#106 ·
GY829 John Burlingham/Rehearo

fishdockroad said:
Hi all,

hopefully I've managed to post a photo of the bell. I'm new to this forum and just have to say that I think its great. Obviously a lot of knowledgable people out there. The posts have raised a few questions mind. If the John Burlingham was'nt registered in Grimsby until 1920 where was it registered up until that date?

Did the number GY829 stay with the ship when she was renamed? And why did they rename them?

And finally the biggest question of all for myself at the moment is who was John Burlingham??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fishdockroad
Hi FDR, Great photo of a piece of Grimsby's maritime past. Where do you plan to keep it?

In answer to your question, it looks like she was GY829 all her time in GY till being scrapped.

From what I can see. She was launched in 1917, it looks like she was 'Admiralty' until her sale to Grimsby in 1920. However, in a book I have, it says, 'The above trawlers at the date of purchase [by the Admiralty?] were completing for their normal task of fishing.' I don't know what this implies.

Could the Admiralty's requirement for minesweepers have changed?

Cheers

Clem

#107 · (Edited)
Stockholm/Stockham?

mattarosa said:
There is a picture for sale on ebay, the description of which says it is
GY15 Stockholm.

Is there such a trawler? Does anyone have any details?

This is another (of many!) not on my list.

Thanks
Hilary
Hi Hilary, two Stockhams I'm aware of. GY89 Stockham, ex. Kingston Peridot, built in 1929.

GY19 Stockham built 1949. Sister ship to GY85 Laforey, which was lost with all hands in 1954. Skipper Bill Mogg of the Laforey was one of my relative's first deep sea skipper in the 1940's, he thought very highly of skipper Mogg. The same relative also worked on the Stockham prior to her sister ships loss. He never thought much of the Stockham, not a good sea boat.

Maybe GY15 Stockholm should read GY19 Stockham? Do you have a thumbnail of the photo on offer?

Cheers

Clem

#108 ·
Clem said:
Hi John, nice to hear from someone who worked on her. GY484 Port Vale is, to my knowledge, the only Grimsby ship of this name. You probably already know she was built in October 1957 by the Goole Ship Building & Repair Co. Ltd. in Goole for Consols subsidiary Wendover Steam Fishing Co.

Colne Shipping Co. (Lowestoft) purchased her in June 1978. She became LT309, and went on to standby duties in 1981 before being sold for scrap on 07/01/87.

Can you tell us a little about your time on the Port Vale? My uncle, was Mate on her in 1962 fishing off the Faeroe's.

Regards

Clem
I did three trips to Iceland in Port Vale in 1969. Pretty sure the Skipper was Bill Hardie Jr ( known as "Wiggy") - a whizz kid in his early 20s at the time.

The main thing that stands out in my mind is that she was one of, if not the, last distant water trawler in Grimsby without automatic steering. The deckies refused to sail without it and the company hastily installed a mickey mouse system which operated from the magnetic compass - details very hazy now.

I have a great picture of the ship, painted by Steve Farrow, which, along with others in his collection, was available at the Fishing Museum, Grimsby.

John T.

#2,211 ·
G'Day John T. That would be "Young Billy Hardie" - not to be confused with his Father "Old Man Hardie"! Do you remember Dollie Hardie? I was 2nd Engineer on the PV, also a few more of Consols - my first being Blackburn Rovers with Stan Boggis being my Chief. I finished up in 1977 as relieving Chief on Goth, fishing for mackerel - what a bloody comedown!!

#110 ·
J.C.Monger

Hi again, still struggling to get info but having looked at web sites suggested here i can only find him as skipper of Ernest Holt he was on it from its maiden voyage till he retired. I Have two other ship names so maybe you guys can help. i am not sure if these were there operational names during the war? they were the Recono and Red sky. can you help?

#111 ·
Port Vale

trotterdotpom said:
I did three trips to Iceland in Port Vale in 1969. Pretty sure the Skipper was Bill Hardie Jr ( known as "Wiggy") - a whizz kid in his early 20s at the time.

The main thing that stands out in my mind is that she was one of, if not the, last distant water trawler in Grimsby without automatic steering. The deckies refused to sail without it and the company hastily installed a mickey mouse system which operated from the magnetic compass - details very hazy now.

I have a great picture of the ship, painted by Steve Farrow, which, along with others in his collection, was available at the Fishing Museum, Grimsby.

John T.
Automatic Pilot, beats a rope beckett on the wheel.

Can you post a photo of the painting? It'd be nice to see.

Cheers

Clem

#113 ·
Clem said:
Hi FDR, Great photo of a piece of Grimsby's maritime past. Where do you plan to keep it?

In answer to your question, it looks like she was GY829 all her time in GY till being scrapped.

From what I can see. She was launched in 1917, it looks like she was 'Admiralty' until her sale to Grimsby in 1920. However, in a book I have, it says, 'The above trawlers at the date of purchase [by the Admiralty?] were completing for their normal task of fishing.' I don't know what this implies.

Could the Admiralty's requirement for minesweepers have changed?

Cheers

Clem
Thanks Clem,

the bells going to go in my kitchen i think. I've got a couple of other items with a direct grimsby link so i'll post some photos for all to view. One further question Clem if you dont mind 'do you know if the bell would have stayed with the ship when it was renamed?

Fishdockroad

#114 ·
mattarosa said:
fishdockroad said:
Hi all,

>hopefully I've managed to post a photo of the bell.

>And finally the biggest question of all for myself at the moment is who was >John Burlingham??

The bell is brilliant, I am envious. Where are you going to put it?

Over 500 trawlers were built for the Admiralty during the First World War as part of a programme to replace fishing trawlers that had been requisitioned for minesweeping, and lost. The vessels under this programme were named after the crew of the HMS Victory and the HMS Royal Sovereign at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar.

I don't know whether the John Burlingham was one of these, but it was built in 1917, so I think it is quite possible it was.

Hilary
Hi Hilary,

thanks for the info. HMS victory's crew did indeed have a Burlingham though his first name is listed as being Jho ??? Possibly a misprint so i'll deve a little further.

The bell by the way is going in my kitchen, though I've been warned not to ring it again as I scared the cat and dog half to death.

Fishdockroad

#115 · (Edited)
GY625 Recono, GY591 Ernest Holt

daveb said:
Hi again, still struggling to get info but having looked at web sites suggested here i can only find him as skipper of Ernest Holt he was on it from its maiden voyage till he retired. I Have two other ship names so maybe you guys can help. i am not sure if these were there operational names during the war? they were the Recono and Red sky. can you help?
Hi Dave, GY625 Recono was built 9/15. Owned by Sleights until she was scrapped in 3/62, built by Cook Welton & Gemmell of Beverly. She served in both wars. A relative of mine also worked on her in 1953. When was your grandfather on her? I'm trying to find out if she was a 'bridge aft sider' (maybe built a bit late for that), any clues? I'll post some more detail of her later.

I can't find Red Sky in GY, but have 'Red Sky, Admiralty Wood Drifter, built 1918. She also served in WWII.

I’ve found another couple of photos of GY591 Ernest Holt. Can you see your grandfather?

Cheers Clem

#116 · (Edited)
GY15 Stockholm or GY19 Stockham?

mattarosa said:
There is a picture for sale on ebay, the description of which says it is
GY15 Stockholm.

Is there such a trawler? Does anyone have any details?

This is another (of many!) not on my list.

Thanks
Hilary
Hi Hilary. If you compare your picture of 'GY15 Stockholm' with this one of GY19 Stockham, would you agree they probably the same ship? It seems to me the ebay source has mistaken the text.

Cheers

Clem

#121 ·
J.C.Monger

Clem said:
Hi Dave, GY625 Recono was built 9/15. Owned by Sleights until she was scrapped in 3/62, built by Cook Welton & Gemmell of Beverly. She served in both wars. A relative of mine also worked on her in 1953. When was your grandfather on her? I'm trying to find out if she was a 'bridge aft sider' (maybe built a bit late for that), any clues? I'll post some more detail of her later.

I can't find Red Sky in GY, but have 'Red Sky, Admiralty Wood Drifter, built 1918. She also served in WWII.

I’ve found another couple of photos of GY591 Ernest Holt. Can you see your grandfather?

Cheers Clem
Cool thanks he is picture 4th male from right just his head showing his wife is in fron to him in black dress i have sent to my mom to try and find out who the other people are. John Monger Retired from the Ernest Holt and was on her from her maden voyage in 1948 so i assume he was not on GY 625 at the same time but what do i know. My Grandfather passed away in 1987 at age 86. this is amazing i will try and find out more from my mom's sister who still lives in Clethorps in there family home.

many many thanks i am so excited i cant tell you

#122 ·
Trotterdotpom:did three trips to Iceland in Port Vale in 1969. Pretty sure the Skipper was Bill Hardie Jr ( known as "Wiggy") - a whizz kid in his early 20s at the time

"Port Vale" was featured within the past couple of weeks in the Gy Telegraph "Bygones" supplement.

#124 ·
My outlaws promise to raid the files when we get back from France early Oct-- they are (as usual) tucked away in an attic somewhere--they believe there may be trawlers related stuff there-- when I get any further I'll update you. Re the painting, it will not photograph with the glazed frame, and I don't think she who must be obeyed would thank me for ruining her expensive frame-- perhaps Hilary would photograph her copy as discussed previously? Regards.

#125 · (Edited)
Port Vale

john shaw said:
"Port Vale" was featured within the past couple of weeks in the Gy Telegraph "Bygones" supplement.
Thanks John, I'll see if it's still on their website.

Clem, here is a scanned copy of 'Port Vale' painted by Steve Yarrow. Steve has painted numerous Grimsby trawlers, all of this quality. Think he has a website but unable to find it at the moment.

John T.

Whoops - having some trouble adding photo, will try again.

Tried again but picture file seems to be too big - anyone got any ideas?

#126 ·
daveb said:
Cool thanks he is picture 4th male from right just his head showing his wife is in fron to him in black dress i have sent to my mom to try and find out who the other people are. John Monger Retired from the Ernest Holt and was on her from her maden voyage in 1948 so i assume he was not on GY 625 at the same time but what do i know. My Grandfather passed away in 1987 at age 86. this is amazing i will try and find out more from my mom's sister who still lives in Clethorps in there family home.

many many thanks i am so excited i cant tell you
Brilliant. Are you able to date the picture from the people in it that you know?