Ships Nostalgia banner

common bros.

6K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  Melia25 
#1 ·
hi bob gilroy sailed with common bros. 1961 M.V.Border Lass worked naval yard Newcastle walker on plant

#13 ·
There is a good picture of the Turkestan in "The Trades Increase", a history of Common Brothers. Turkestan (ex- War Flower) was built in 1917 in Middlesbrough by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co. Ltd. A 365 ft single decker 7280 dwt. Joined Common Brothers fleet 1919 and laid up in Tyne in 1933 in the Depression sold to Anglo Greek owners in 1935 for £15,500 and renamed Mount Lycabettus. War casulty in 1942. Will e-mail picture to you.
rgds

#15 ·
I have just found this site. Joined Border Sentinel in 1960 as first trip deck apprentice and sailed for eleven years with Commons attaining rank of Chief Officer. I then joined Shell tankers and served with them until retirement as master in 2004. Have many great memories of my time in Commons and wonder if there is any out there whom I know ? Sailed on Sentinel , Border Shepherd (maiden voyage), Border Fusilier, Border Minstrel, Simonburn, Laristan (thrice), Al Sabiyah, Border Castle (Twice), Border Terrier.

Would love to hear from former border boat men.

Derek Wallace

#21 ·
The Border Terrier

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I've recently taken over a pub called The Border Terrier. which is in North Shields Tyne and Wear. I'm trying to research its history. I've been told that it got its name from the MV Border Terrier. Apparently the first Landlord was at some point the Captain of MV Border Terrier. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light. Thank You in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.