Ships Nostalgia banner

British Ambassador

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Graham Wallace 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I sailed with one of the engineers who was onboard the Ambassador during this event. He told me that the initial "Leak was caused by a crack appearing on the low sea suction for the main condenser circulating pump. To stem the leak the engineers put a sheet of jointing around the leak and secure it in place with a "spanish windlass" Unfortunately all this succeeded in doing was to shear the valve clean off! The ship's fate was then well and truly sealed!

#6 ·
I would respectfully suggest that his comments are taken with a pinch of salt. I have seen the results of formal internal inquiry and no evet of a similar nature is shown in any of the statements.

Mike

#4 ·
Hi Mike,

looks like you were always one trip ahead of me!! I joined in May 67 and left sometime in 75. Had three trips on one 42 as Cadet, 3/O and 2/O. Also left for things different. General cargo to/from W.Africa, S. America. Ended up driving RoRos around N.Europe.
Looking forward to further episodes!

Cheers,

#9 ·
Interesting, just realised I have a crew list for the Ambassador for Dec 11th 1974, passed Robben Island. So I guess all the malcontents had left and this crew are the survivors of the sinking.

I'll just mention the Master AG Smith, sounds like someone one would like to sail with.

Graham

#10 ·
"I'll just mention the Master AG Smith, sounds like someone one would like to sail with."

Possibly - but he wasn't in command? The Fleet News strikes again!

I've just about finalised the last of the story and hope to get it 'on line' soon.

#14 ·
Hi Guys

I have made various references to the "British Ambassador" in past posts but I have now put my view of the sinking on the internet.

http://www.maritime-mishaps.webspace.virginmedia.com/The Loss Of The British Ambassador.html

There are also a few anecdotes about my time with BP.

It's an ongoing project so bear with me.

Cheers

Mike
Very good read pal on your web site .You were very brave in such a horrendous situation. I was Lecky (alan scott) on the Ambassador 26/8/71-26/2 72 ras al khaimah ,with one of the Irish family of captains -Taylors -Tommy ,great crew at time .Only other name i can remember is Billy Smith 3/E. Will contact Graham Wallace for a crew list for my time on board . Really glad I was not on when you were pal.

#16 ·
If my grey cells are correct, didnt she set her bows back when entering No2 dry dock in Silley Cox and Co, Falmouth around 1959 ish?

If it was her I lowered the gate for her on a nice sunny day but very windy, dead ship with 4 tugs. when 1 tug wire broke whilst on full power, hit the parapit wall setting the bow back about 15 feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.