Ships Nostalgia banner

Planned Maintenance

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  K urgess 
#1 ·
What did you think of Planned Maintenance? It just came in on my last couple of trips to sea, but I couldn't cope with it at all. The onboard computer kept churning out planned maintenance every day, but I was spending 8 hours a day in radio office with communication and many hours supposedly off watch trying to sort things out in the rest of the ship and expected to help entertain passengers in evening. Engineers & electrician seemed to be suffereing from equal amounts of it.

To add insult to injury, it wasn't very long before R/Os were declared "unnecessary personnel" and dispensed with altogether! Who does it now?
Bob

#2 ·
On the American Ships the Chief Engineer had all of the fun games with the PMS (plan maintenance system).

The Navy vessels that I was on used a program SAM (Shipboard Automated Maintenance). All of the Chief Engineers kept a manual for SAM by their computer for when the shore side review of the maintenance was conducted. The manual was 62 pages with a Orange binding copyright 1960. My favorite line was I could not, would not, on a boat.

If you did not guess the manual for SAM was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

#3 ·
I suppose you could call the maintenance carried out on the emergency batteries as "planned".
We got a few maintenance schedules and tech notices towards the end of my time with Marconi.
It was always handy to keep a log of meter readings to catch valve drop-off and keeping everything working with regular checks was just part of the job.
I've been living with planned maintenance ever since I came ashore. Used to be written into maintenance contracts in the computer and factory automation industry.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I think we have to seperate planned maintenance from computers.
When I joined NBC late 68 they already had a well developed PMS in a ledger which did the job efficiently. Further, ISM as we call it, was well in vogue in US companies but was called General Directives. I think we were a little behind in the UK.

Bill

#10 ·
One ship the Second Mate took over the job of taking the readings and logged zero for the battery volts for a month before handing in the log sheets. When I went to see what was wrong I found out that the battery charger was turned off. After wards the batteries were maintained by the Engine Department. On some ships that had an RO the batteries were maintained by the Engine Department because the RO could not get the overs off of the batteries.
The other batteries that were maintained were for the starting of the Life Boats, Emergency Diesel and the UPS's for the Control Systems.

#14 ·
Planned maintenance : a small pocket sized notebook with all the valve meter readings in it, it was in a slightly different format on every ship, but worth it's weight in gold. And a monthly look at and record of the state of the brushes in all the motors/alternators etc.

I seem to remember the deck guys had a huge multi ring binder (a Kalamazoo ?) that contained details of the inspections of the blocks and shackles etc etc etc for the derricks, and other bits & pieces.

#17 ·
Aah! But it was the Lekkie who knew where all the breakers were. [=P]
I once had to start my own gennies because the substitute Lekkie, the Fourth Engineer, was having problems with exciters.
I used to enjoy visits to the engine room for various bits of electronic kit fixing but 8 o'clock on Christmas morning was a bit too much. (EEK)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.