Ships Nostalgia banner

CEGB Colliers

17K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  leaj20 
#1 ·
Can anybody help with the subsequent history of the following five colliers all of which were still in service in 1984.

Sir Johnstone Wright (3382g/1952)
Castle Point (5628g/1965) Ex Hudson Light
Dolphin Point (4850g/1965 Ex Corcester
Fort Point (4396g/1698) Ex Dunvegan Head
Beacon Point (4440g/1969) Ex Duncansby Head

Tks in advance

NigelC

#2 ·
These ship were regulars in the Tyne. I piloted The Castle Point 6 time up till Jan 1986, The Dolphin Point 10 times up till March 1986, The Fort Point 13 times up till Jan 1986 and the Beacon Point 9 time up till september 1985. These dates are around the time the New coal terminal opened on the Tyne a new breed of bigger Collier took over the shipping of coal down to the power stations of the south.

#3 ·
nigelcollett said:
Can anybody help with the subsequent history of the following five colliers all of which were still in service in 1984.

Tks in advance

NigelC
S.J.W was not about in '84.Last of this type of vessel were Cliffe Quay, James Rowan & Sir William Walker (Thumb)

#5 ·
Hi all

Thanks for info so far.

Jeff - I don't suppose you were a pilot on the Tyne in the sixties in my time?

Pat - I was slightly wrong about the SJW - she was still in service, but not for the CEGB, she was the FANIS for Greek owners.

BW - I have the WSS publication but it only goes up to 1984 (my copy anyway) so I still in the dark after that date.

NigelC

#7 ·
Jeff

I don't suppose our paths crossed although I spent quite a lot of time on Stevie Clarke or CEGB colliers in the sixties. Mainly the larger, at the time, the Portsmouth of SC being the smallest but then she wasn't a dedicated collier. Her itinerary was much more varied, grain from the continent to Leith, Steel from the continent to South Wales etc.

Regards Nigel

#8 ·
During my apprenticeship 1964 to 1968 I had to board ships with a pilot to learn the river and the job so I may well have been a shipmate of yours, I have a book somewhere which has a list of all the ships I boarded as we had to present this to the Pilot Master every month to show we were keeping up. I'll see if I can find it and look for Stevie Clarke ships. We tended to go on small coasters especially Dutch ships as the skippers loved fresh fish and we could get it for them in exchange for the odd bottle of Dutch gin.

#12 ·
Ruud, the stuff we used to get was called something like Jonge Genever it was good we would get a bottle between four of us on the pilot cutter. I used to put my share into another bottle and have it on poor days when we were at college. we always found a fish scale or two in the bottle but it was still the best.

#13 ·
Jonge Genever made a great liquour. First take a swig out of the bottle, then add a few spoonfulls of sugar and the zest peel from a couple of lemons. Give it a good shake and leave for a few weeks. Drink Ice cold, pure nectar.

Ruud, I learnt that from Capt Wagner on the old Engelena Broere in the late 60's.
-------------------------
Tony C

#14 ·
Ahoy,

Yep there was the Jonge and Oude Genever, the last one was mostly recommended by the "oldies" on board, and some put a little sugar in their glas as is also done with Brandewijn, the Jonge Genever is still my favourite with Coke.
As that recipe with the lemon, it was indeed great, I learned it from another Cap. at Broere, but later we bought the bottles of Citroen Genever[yellow coloured]instead making them self.Good stuff especially in this time of the year.
I will have one right now.....cheers(Pint)

#15 ·
nigelcollett said:

Tks in advance

NigelC
SIR JOHNSTONE WRIGHT RENAMED FANIS 76 (NO FURTHER INFO)
CASTLE POINT RENAMED SONIA I 88,SHANE 89,KAAN 96
B/UP ALIAGA 99
DOLPHIN POINT RENAMED CORA I 87, B/UP ALANG 21.11.97
FORT POINT RENAMED VIDA II MAY 00,SHANTI 1 NOV 00
SHANTI 01 .STILL LISTED IN EQUASIS

#16 ·
nigelcollett said:

Tks in advance

NigelC
SIR JOHNSTONE WRIGHT RENAMED FANIS 76 (NO FURTHER INFO)
CASTLE POINT RENAMED SONIA I 88,SHANE 89,KAAN 96
B/UP ALIAGA 99
DOLPHIN POINT RENAMED CORA I 87, B/UP ALANG 21.11.97
FORT POINT RENAMED VIDA II (MAY) 00,SHANTI 1 (NOV) 00
SHANTI 01 .STILL LISTED IN EQUASIS
I.M.O.No 6805579 (SAO TOME PRINCIPE !! FLAG)
BEACON POINT RENAMED ANNY I 87,AMY 89 B/UP ALANG 27.4.02

#18 ·
Beacon Point, ex Duncansby Head

Nigel, did you manage to find a photo of this ship?

I sailed on Duncansby Head in the late '60s when she was only about 3 months old. She mainly ran from Immingham to Tilbury and West Thurrock power stations and remember doing at least one deepsea trip to Blyth. At the time she was owned by McGreggors of Leith, a subsidiary of Salvesens, and was a very tidy number.

One trip she arrived in Immingham and tied up at buoys in the harbour. There were about 10 other large colliers there and we weren't expected to load for a few days. I shot off to Grimsby, one of my old stomping grounds, and returned two days later to find the ship had gone! The problem with this was that I was the Radio Officer and they weren't supposed to sail without me. Whoops!

Fortunately, the Captain was a bit eccentric and had pulled similar stunts before, enabling me to get away relatively unscathed. They forgot that it was partly my fault too. I travelled down to London on the train and re-joined the ship. Nearly all the equipment in the radio room was broken! On return to Immingham I made tactical retreat and paid off.

I'd love a photo of the ship if you managed to get one. I think I asked about one before on the site but didn't know then that she had become Beacon Point.

Regards, John T.

#19 ·
QSL John

I do have a couple of pics as the Beacon Point and have attached the best.

I did the same as you when I was on the Storrigton of Stevie Clarkes on the Thames. The OM sailed early without me and then put in an ofiicial complaint. I was shipped out the next day on an Avenue Steamship Co vessel, the ANTRIM, by Makaroni's. Nice little round the world trip, St John Newfoundland, East coast USA, Panama, NZ Aussie and home. Not a lot of sleep lost.

Let me know if you want the other pics

Regards

NigelC

Attachments

#23 ·
nigelcollett said:

Tks in advance

NigelC
Ahoy Nigel,
Bought me a "few" colliers,(*)) all made by © A.Duncan, so all credits/courtesy to him.
Here you are:

Attachments

#24 ·
Ahoy Nigel,
Bought me a "few" colliers,(*)) all made by © A.Duncan, so all credits/courtesy to him, and like to share these.
Here you are:

Attachments

#26 ·
fredkinghorn said:
Did somebody mention Genever ? fred's favourite, have a glass or three at regular intevals. If I go over to Brussels or Strasbourg again this year I'll fill up as usual.
Love it with the lemon, keep it in the freezer !

fred

" I see your glass is empty- I'll just away and wash it "
Ahoy Fred,
Mine's too, daily consumer, 'a borrel[shot/nip] a day keeps the doctor away' uses as a nightcap.[icecold]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.