Ships Nostalgia banner

T.S Dolphin

26K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  jg grant 
#1 · (Edited)
I wonder if anyone did their training on the Dolphin in Leith. I was part of the group in the attached photo taken in 1955. If you are in the photo or attended the Dolphin about that time I'd love to hear from you.

Regards
Derek Blair

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Stuart, I've now ac***ulated quite a few photos of the Dolphin and a few of the staff but I still haven't managed to find one of her before she became an "accomodation ship, she actually had quite an interesting history and saw a bit of action as a warship.

#4 ·
Thunderd--your photo reminds me of when I did my Cook's ticket on the " Dolphin "
There was a small bird at the porthole at the back of one of the galley stoves. The ship's cat saw it and jumped up to catch it. the cat landed allfours on the top of the stove and then at a great rate of knots went right throgh the porthole and into the dock. It was fished out and taken to the vet with badly burned pawpads. Onlt eight lives left.

#12 ·
Hi Allan,
I was in the same intake as you I still have the group photo . I thought I recognised the name. I have been up in your part of the world with the Hebridean Isles, Releiving the Hamnavoe. nice to hear from you after all theswe years , I wonder what happened to all the guys that were with us.
Best regards Argyll. (Alistair Kernachan)

#15 ·
R651400 said:
White haired gent 2nd from left b&w shot, Allan Fisher LNC Principal from 1938?
Yes you are right Malcolm he was the principal until 1966, you've been reading your copy of "The Sea Dominies" haven't you?

On page 14 I loved the quote from Dr. Samuel Johnson who said last century "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company".

I totally disagree with him but I guess he was saying that a very long time ago, and I liked the quote.

#17 ·
Wully, his name was Flockhart and I think his first name was Ron, he was one of the seamanship instructors and a really good guy, as indeed I found they all were. I don't know where he originated from.

#19 ·
Sorry about the mistake Wully. I can remember each face but I'm afraid the names are lost in the mist of time (or senility). They were a great bunch of guys and there isn't much I wouldn't give to learn what became of them all.

As a matter of interest a fair few of them were Shelties.

#20 ·
Looking at photo, these are the names as I recall:

Flockart, Adam Tait, "Jo" Johanson Chief Cook, unknown, Bill? Sutherland, unknown.

Sutherland had been quite a useful boxer in his day and he had the ring set up a few times for our entertainment a few bleeding noses! Flockart had a son who I sailed with as 2nd Mate on the Cortona (Donaldsons) in 1966.

Regards
Stuart

#25 ·
Prior to being run by Leith Nautical, the Dolphin was a club for boys who had an interest in the sea or boats. Financed by local shipping interests. "Old Mac" Macdonald was in charge, he was an ex RN P.O. I think he was gunnery CPO on HMS Claverhouse. He always had a twinkle in his eye when he was telling us off, "a crowd of slugs", after sky larking in the boats etc. He knew how to handle boys, we all respected him. There was very little drill unlike the Boy Scouts etc. When the Nautical took over Mac was replaced by Capt Tait. Did the DB course in 45 and the DEMS course at HMS Claverhouse.

#26 ·
Hi I did the deck boys course on the TS Dolphin way back in 1946-47, Capt Tait was there then and the seamanship instructor was a Mr Macdonald who
had been a Gunnery Instructor on the Dolphin when she actually "sailed". He was only about 5 ft 6 inches both tall and round and had bow legs too but a great instructor Rgds and 73's Ern Barrett

#29 · (Edited)
I did a 3 month Deck Boy's course on Dolphin prior joining Bank Line as a Cadet in April 1953.

I remember Adam Tait well and visited him when he retired to Kiess, in Caithness, when I was home on leave.

We had a "Charlie" the night watchman to contend with on the Dolhin who made sure that all lights were out and we were all in our bunks and no noise after 2230.except on Sat night when we got a late pass. Do you remember morning inspections with Capt. Tait and his retinue making sure we had the decks scrubbed and our beds neatly made?(Jester)

We got good training on Dolphin which we surely needed before getting our first seagoing ship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.