Ships Nostalgia banner

Sight that beholds us

9K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Ben Boat Jim 
#1 ·
As we arrive out of the dock gates in the Far East. What is this the name of this famous watering hole !!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Have to think really hard about this but will give it a go. Was it the MOSQUITO? I may have been misled but the huge sign above the door says so.
With thanks to MJ and Spec Savers. I have got an emergency phone number for Spec Savers if you feel the need.......................

Don

#34 ·
Yes, of course it's the Mosquito Bar, right outside the gate at Port Authority of
Thailand in Klong Toey. Next door to the "Mission". I did a job on a Thai ship at the buoys there a few years ago and have to report, unfortunately, that the Mozzy has long gone. Hardly any ships at the Klong Toey berths now, smaller container ships use a terminal just downstream. Big ships anchor at Ko Sichang.

#46 ·
Derek, There are quite a few mentions of Monkey if you have a look through the site. One of the photographs I put into the site early on shows Dick Reid the 3/e, the 4/e and myself 7/e off the Benlomond in 1972/73 sitting up the stairs in the Mosquito(Thumb) having a dram..!!! There is the half bottle of Monkey along with the coke, which was the mixer of choice at the time. You can actually see the back of the label on the bottle and if you remember they used to put the date of when it was bottled on the back of the label. Usually distilled and bottled the day before it was drunk, seemed to work pretty well as I recall.
Regards-Ali.

#48 ·
Mozzie bar gone

I was on a "nostalgia" trip 5 yrs ago and the Mozzie and all bars around it have long gone....Only thing left is the mission, now called the Mariners Club.

In answer to your question Trader, yes I remember the Boustead mission well in Singapore, got the best haircut ever there. the chair faced across the street opposite the "Straits Cabaret" which was full of "Taxi Dancers',,,Ah what memories for a 16 year old "Peggy" in 1956 on the 'Benmacdhui'

Kindest Regards Jim Morrison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.