Ships Nostalgia banner

Vessels of 1950 missing

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bob 
#1 ·
I am looking for information on the history of the following ships after their sale from Ellerman:
City of Chicago (1950-67 sold to Greeks as Kaptamarco)
City of Ottawa (1950-76 sold as Gulf Venture)
Andalusian/ City of Eli (1950-66 sold to Greeks as Capetan Andreas P.)
City of Birkenhead (1950-71 sold to Taiwan as Liberty Trader)

Any information would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Good morning,

Hope this helps

C.o.Chicago after Kaptamaco sold in 1970 to Marcos Shipping Co, Cyprus and r/n Marcos. 1971 Sold to the knackers yard.

C.o_Ottawa after Gulf Venture went to the Knackers yard in 1967

Sorry cant help with the Andulasian/C.o.Ely

C.o.Birkenhead after the Liberty Trader went to the knackers yard in 1972

Regards

NigelC

#3 ·
Hello Aristo
I hope the following will be of some help

CAPETAN ANDREAS P
owned by Aghia Barbara Cia Mar panama
sold 1970/1 to
Ezkos Maritime Technical Co Ltd panama
Jan 73 suffered boiler room fire while lying off Constantza brocken up same place same year

davidjm

#5 ·
here's a pic of andalusian

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Chris

here is Rapallo. In 1975 she was named City of Limassol on transfer from Wilson Line to Ellerman.

Are you sure the second ship had no further names -- just "Mediterranean"??-- eg the City of York became "Mediterranean Sky"-- I have no pic of a ship solely called Mediterranean I'm afraid.

Regards

Attachments

#9 ·
Hi john, her name was just "Mediterranean" i sailed on her August until Sept 73 Joined Dover paid off Birkenhead we went up to Finland twice to pick up wood for Belfast, she is registered as Ellerman city liners in my discharge book.Then i joined the Rappalo in Grangemouth and paid off Dublin from oct to the end of nov 73 did a meddy trip on her.Then rejoined the Mediterranian in Dec 73 until feb 74, joined London paid off Newhaven, again did another trip down to the meddy.She was just 2 hatches and 4 derricks, i will look through my photos but i'm pretty sure i don't have any of her.She was a great ship to work on really easy. Cheers Chris.

#8 ·
Chris,

Could it be any ot those:

City of Exeter/1953 became Mediterranean Sea in 1971.

City of Port Elizabeth/1952 became Mediterranean Island in 1971 then Mediterranean Sun in 1975.

City of Durban/1954 became Mediterranean Dolphin in 1971.

Regards (Thumb)

#10 · (Edited)
The MEDITERRANEAN was Ellerman Wilson Lines and later became CITY OF PATRAS on transfer to Ellerman Lines. As the MEDITERRANEAN she was featured as a typical "Short Sea Trader" in "The Observers Book of Ships". If you don't have a copy of that lying around, I'm fairly sure that I have a pic of her under a later guise, which I took at Rotterdam in the 1980s. Trouble is, I can't remember what her name was at the time, so I'm going to have to do a bit of delving before I come up with it.

Cheers
Phil

#15 · (Edited)
Would dearly love to have a photo of France Fenwick "Chelwood" 1950 and also Common Brothers "Laristan" 1954 to complete my list of"sailed on"ships.
Bert

Laristan (1952) is at

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=18394

Re Chelwood-- by 1950, do you mean that was the year you were on that ship rather than the year of build?-- as it appears that the 1928 built ship by that name , O.N. 160583,was in service well into the 1950s

regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.