Ships Nostalgia banner

Otaio / Eastern Academy

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Tom Haywood 
#1 ·
I did my first 2 trips at sea on the Otaio.
I believe she was sold in 1977 and renamed the Eastern Academy, I have heard that she spent all of her time alongside in Karachi, does anytone know if this is true and if so Why? did she have major engine troubles?
Any info/ pictures gratefully rec'd
Rgds
Mark

#5 ·
Allwyn D'Souza

Hi Mark,

I stumbled upon this website the other day and read your message.
I served as a deck cadet on the "Eastern Academy" (ex-"Otaio") from Sept 1977 to Dec 1978. She was definitely not laid up in Karachi. It must have been for a short time towards the end of her life prior to scrapping.

During the time I was on board she actively traded carrying reefer cargo between Aus/NZ and the Middle East. WE had 40 cadets under training at any one time and the study program was managed by Southampton Nautical College in those days. I have some fond memories of my voyages on the regal lady.

Cheers
Allwyn

#8 ·
Good to see that she still had some trade in her after being sold out of P & O especially still carrying cadets. I remember from my time on her that she was in excellant shape and under the 1st Refrig (Peter Wright) the refrigeration plant and machinery was kept in top working condition.
Except for a few early voyages I think Peter was on her to the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.