The Iron Ore Carriers

155K views 381 replies 124 participants last post by  Ocean Blue 
#1 ·
hi what ever happen to all the orecarriers of the sixties and early seventies
was with w a souter on the
longstone
dunstanburgh castle
lindisfarne
but remember others like welsh herald la colina silversand and shore cape franklin cape howe and ports like narvik murmansk sept isles nouadhibou monrovia mossamedes pepel victoria lulea and the dust good beer though.

#309 ·
During a lull in loading Iron Horse at Almeria late sixties, summer time, many of ships company swimming off main deck. Saloon steward joined them and jumped in and very soon issued frenzied cry for help as 'couldn't swim '. Capt Martucci (in his gentle manner) questioned why he had gone in and the reply was 'I didn't think it would be that deep!'

#314 ·
Yes, we took her on for a year initially I seem to remember although I cannot think who did the UK Management..perhaps Houlders...that size of vessel was quite popular with the increasing size of berths in UK and being sub-panamax.

Another favourite was the Viva, a Norwegian bulker of 62000 DWT which foundered in 1992....she was a vessel which rarely had problems..

geoff

#319 ·
Strange, i dont remember any of the North Yorkshire ships being with
Denholms, certainly in 1964 as I was still doing agency on the Tees then prior to moving to BISCO Hq in London to do scheduling of the fleet....

However, we do have ex J&J Fleet Management personnel amongst our SN readers and they have put me right more than once!!

geoff

#322 · (Edited)
Perhaps it's my memory...It's not the first time....I sailed with J & J (on the Duncraig) but the skipper, as I remember, was 'Angus John Macdonald' from Whitehead in N. Ireland....

I'm sure I read a post from someone who was on the Ripon in 1964 perhaps they might know the history of her skippers....

#325 ·
It must be my memory!!!!!

I've checked and my last trip was from Middlesborough to Port Etienne (now Nouadhibou) back to Birkenhead....I also checked 1964 hurricanes and it must have been Isobelle (that coincides with a souvenir postcard from Sept Isles)....

It looks like the only things I got right were my signing on and offs.....

It's strange how, for umpteen years, I've 'known' things that didn't happen.....

#326 ·
Geoff, I may have written this before but, you should write a book!

Towards the end of the Denholm ore carrier period they took over DUNBLANE.
A similar vessel to their existing DUN boats. Anyone recall her name prior to becoming DUNBLANE. She may have been Redcar but I cannot for the life of me remember.
Google Dunblane brings unwanted information.

regards

Malky

#333 ·
mention..of GTV's.........who amongst you had the doubtful honour of serving on GTV Morar!............from memory we once had her doing a Vitoria to Dagenham run ( to get her out of the way for a couple of months almost) and she was reported as passing Dover pilots either 6 or 9 times in one day..........

geoff

#342 ·
Nice photo of the Orecrest from Dominic (Woodlark) I also have the same set of four photos as I was actually onboard the vessel at the time. We were on our way back from Narvik when the steering gear went kaput. A Norwegian ore carrier the Essex stood by us as we had been advised of possible lifeboat stations at one stage, the weather was so bad. Eventually we were taken in tow to Trondheim by an East German fish factory ship Martin Anderson Nexo, which is where these photos originated I believe. Spent a few weeks waiting for parts and engineers from I think Donkins of Glasgow to fly out to get us mobile again. Interesting to see you live in Vancouver I love the place and have holidayed there on 12 occasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.