Ships Nostalgia banner

oilrig days

7K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  CajunDoll 
#1 ·
hi everyone just looking for info or pics on the following,ocean rover,ocean kokui,pentagon 81,dyvi offshore,bawden drilling,claymore alpha,piper alpha,sedco,db 100,safe holmia,and any info on the names of the crew that perished on piper as had a few friends that worked on her and cannot find a list
thank you.

#4 ·
With respect to Piper Alpha victims, visit your local library and reserve a copy of the Cullen Enquiry, in this publication you will find all too full details of the casualties.
I would ask that you do not do a disservice to the victims memory, by a casual glance through the names, cause of death, and cir***stances in which found, but that you read the full report, it is the very least that we owe them.

#5 ·
Bawden Drilling

Hi
I was with Bawden Drilling from May 82/83 to around May 88
I started on the Ninian Northern with Bawden and was initially roustabout but then got a promotion to Motorman, I was transferred to Piper Alpha in 1983/84 and my Chief mechanic was old Spike Basovy, and his back to back was Doug brown.
I was transferred to Claymore at my own request worked on Brae A and B, Beatrice and finally ended up on Murchison, in 1987/88 when the piper blew up.
Can't remember too many names, but Doug brown, Ian Piper, Jeff Jones, Tommy Hayes, are a few I think that perished on the alpha, that I knew.
Hope this helps
Steve

#8 ·
Calorpig

If you are looking for information on the Piper Alpha I would suggest a book by one of the divers on board at the time. "Piper Alpha a survivors story" by Ed Punchard.
Starts with a list of the lads who perished and ends with the lads who survived. In between he has some interesting points to make and discusses the parts played by the lads trying to get off. Very good but brings it all flooding back to me as I used to be on her and know a lot of the names in both lists.
Steve
Spike Basovy, a legend, and someone I just did my best to avoid. His back to back was Sandy McPherson a great guy to work with. Was a great rig with some wonderful crews. Did you ask for a transfer to get away from Spike?

Don

#10 ·
Rik

If you are looking for a list of those who survived and those who perished they are included in the book I mentioned on the last post before yours,
The book by Ed Punchard "The Piper Alpha A Survivors Story" will give you some insight into the disaster and the events afterwards.
I have the book, but as I knew a whole lot of the guys, its a book I read now and again but keep secure as these workmates were important to me.
I also believe that you can source the "Cullen Report" but its a very heavy read.

Don

#12 ·
I remember that a guy who lived near me at the time, Dusty Miller, perished. It brought it home to our doorsteps.

#14 · (Edited)
Spike, there's a memory! I was on the Piper Alpha '78-'80 (roustabout, made up to roiughneck), I remember "Devon Yank" Denis, Suicide Al, Blankety Blank... our crew (Dave Burns, Dean Naylor, Malteser, me, and our crane operator) getting arrested in Aberdeen and spending 2 nights in solitary. Gordon "Aspro" Dow coming ashore and digging up the flowerbeds at Dyce Airport for the dope he buried 2 weeks earlier. As for Spike, my memory of him was throwing his tools off the pipe deck (him not me) but I understand that was a regular occurrence!! My memories of the Piper were good, until July 1988.

#15 ·
Was that the Dusty Miller originally from Scotland (Aberdeen, perhaps) that had worked for ODECO previously in Aberdeen and in Brazil? If so, he was a friend of ours and worked for my husband in those locations. We lost touch and I'm wondering if it's the same Dusty Miller?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.