Ships Nostalgia banner

Mersey Mariner

10K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Matthew Finn 
#1 ·
Have received rumours that Mersey Mariner likely to be sold off in
May or June this year.
It seems Westminster Dredging will take over the dredging in the Port
of Liverpool.
Can anybody enlighten me on this please?

Regard
Keith

#4 ·
Just for info i have heard from that the WD Severn is to finish shortly on the manchester Ship canal and is being sold to South American interests ( This appears to be the grave yard for old dredgers) and she is to be replaced with the WD Mersey which is due on the river Mersey in mid July. Find attached a link to a photo of the WD Mersey at a ship yard in Holland.
http://members.lycos.nl/fsanderse/080501/WD%20Mersey.jpg
Cheers
Degzie

#5 ·
Degzie

Thanks very much for that information,that's quite a surprise as I watch the W.D.Severn regularly working on the river.
I assume she is being resold for further trading??
Comparing the two ships the Mersey seems a lot stumpier looking than the Severn.

Best Regards
Keith

#9 ·
An update on Mersey Mariner.
Just been reading in todays Liverpool Echo.
Peel Ports have announced that Mersey Mariner will be decommissioned in early June.
They have told the crew they will lose their jobs, some of whom have been with Mersey Docks & Harbour Company for 25 to 30 years.
With the economy as it is nobody wants to go.

Regards
Keith

#10 ·
Keith,
That is bad news, did the Echo say what her replacement will be?
The docks will still require dredging after all.
I have noticed that for a couple of years now, the 'off shift' masters of Mersey Mariner and Mersey Mammoth have been working at Mersey Radio, broadcasting the general situation and movements statement etc.
Maybe at least that will become a permanent job for them.
Pat

#11 ·
Hi Pat,

It said a third party will dredge Liverpool and Birkenhead.
I assume by this, the work will be carried out possibly by Westminster Dredging.
I had to smile when reading this article because Gary Hodgson the M.D. of the
Mersey Docks said quote " Going forward the proposals for dredging will use more advanced technology and as such the Mersey Mariner, which is an ageing bucket dredger will not be required here in Liverpool and a decision has been made to decommission it in early June"
Just goes to show how he can't identify his own dredging fleet!
He goes on to say "We have now commenced a consultation period with union representatives on the future of the 12 crew members.

Regards
Keith

#12 ·
So he thinks that his ship is a bucket dredger?!!
The mind boggles, he is probably a bean counter, they seem to be in charge of most things these days,
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.