Ships Nostalgia banner

What is it ?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chadburn 
#1 ·
Hello,
We are looking for a type a ship with this kind of bow. The size is closed to a trawler with one machine and one boiler, with one big hold and a big anchor in a middle. Someone does exactly what kind of ship is it ?
Thanks
Frank

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
On later Buoy vessels the Horns and chain rollers extended upward and away from the Deck very similar to R.N. Boom Defence Vessels. Some civilian versions had the one Horn and others had two. What does the Anchor look like? Is it a Screw Anchor, a Stockless?

#8 ·
She may well have been a Trawler converted for War work and 'Dumbed' as I see the Prop has been removed and the Nut plus Washer carefully replaced. Interesting pieces of film thanks.

#9 ·
Hm ...

When I saw 4 these photos the most characteristic element is her bow - two rolls - definitely a trawler. One boiler and in my opinion standard 3 cylinder engine - typical solution for a whale catchers and trawlers.

looking on boiler it is ca 1910 - 1920.

Lack of propeller is caused that it was on the surface of bottom - so was removed by divers. Just a nice souvenir. But from other side - it is almost impossible when shaft is rusty. So maybe it was used as a floating hulk - so barge to carry something.

It looks as typical a vessel after explosion.

Length max 60 m.

Of course I am not sure - it is just my open thinking.

Best greetings Rafal

#10 · (Edited)
Rafal, In my view I would not think that a souvenir Diver would put the tail shaft nut and washer back on after removing the Prop. If she was a former Trawler she would have had a decent Winch on her which could have been used for Boom Defence work with the wires going over the Bow Rollers. My Best Greetings to yourself and team for showing us the high standard of your ship preservation. Mind you it has to start with a well built vessel by Smiths Dock's.(Thumb)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.