Ships Nostalgia banner

Parker Reef off Whitsunday

16K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  petaj123 
#1 ·
Is there any Aussies here who can tell me about the condition of the wreck of the Norwegian ship Slidre Timur? (IMO NO. 5043083)

She struck Parker Reef (20.32 S 149.45 E) when north bound for Northern Territories (probably Wipa, Groot Eyland and Gove) and Port Moresby on 02. Febr. 1971. Broke in two and sunk a couple of days later, I think.
Nobody was killed but some sustained miror injuries when lowering the lifeboats, as far as I know.

I was Ch.Officer on this vessel from Aug. 1969 to Aug. 1970 and know the basic reasons why she run aground, but nothing about the rescue of the crew and what happened to the wrack. Was it salvaged, or is it still there? Is it totally broken up, or still accessible for divers?

#40 ·
Is there any Aussies here who can tell me about the condition of the wreck of the Norwegian ship Slidre Timur? (IMO NO. 5043083) She struck Parker Reef (20.32 S 149.45 E) when north bound for Northern Territories (probably Wipa, Groot Eyland and Gove) and Port Moresby on 02. Febr. 1971. Broke in two and sunk a couple of days later, I think. Nobody was killed but some sustained miror injuries when lowering the lifeboats, as far as I know. I was Ch.Officer on this vessel from Aug. 1969 to Aug. 1970 and know the basic reasons why she run aground, but nothing about the rescue of the crew and what happened to the wrack. Was it salvaged, or is it still there? Is it totally broken up, or still accessible for divers?
Might

#41 ·
Is there any Aussies here who can tell me about the condition of the wreck of the Norwegian ship Slidre Timur? (IMO NO. 5043083)

She struck Parker Reef (20.32 S 149.45 E) when north bound for Northern Territories (probably Wipa, Groot Eyland and Gove) and Port Moresby on 02. Febr. 1971. Broke in two and sunk a couple of days later, I think.
Nobody was killed but some sustained miror injuries when lowering the lifeboats, as far as I know.

I was Ch.Officer on this vessel from Aug. 1969 to Aug. 1970 and know the basic reasons why she run aground, but nothing about the rescue of the crew and what happened to the wrack. Was it salvaged, or is it still there? Is it totally broken up, or still accessible for divers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.