New Ships For The RNZN - Ships Nostalgia
09:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

New Ships For The RNZN

Old 7th February 2007, 07:57

My location
Exclamation New Ships For The RNZN

The 2002 NZ Maritime Forces Review conducted by Defence and other Government agencies outlined fleet requirements to provide a significant capability for the RNZN and these agencies to protect New Zealand’s maritime borders. In 2004 a study was undertaken to decide the number of vessels and fleet mix necessary. The vessels' capabilities required to include sealift, coastal and offshore patrol, and at-sea training for the RNZN, the vessels to be designed, built and maintained to commercial standards.

Project Protector was commenced to acquire the following vessels:

1 x Multi Role Vessel (MRV) to provide a sealift capability for the transport and deployment of equipment, vehicles and personnel, capable of transferring cargo and personnel ashore when port facilities are not available.

2 x Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) to conduct maritime surveillance, in conjunction with maritime air patrol assets to the limit of New Zealand's EEZ, in the South Pacific and in the Southern Ocean. To be capable of multi-agency operations in support of national security tasks, with a secondary task of operating in support of various maritime operations.

4x Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPV) to conduct maritime surveillance in support of civil agencies within the area from the shoreline out to approx 24 nautical miles.

The vessels were programmed to be delivered in 2007.

Source: RNZN
Old 8th February 2007, 10:54

My location
HMNZS CANTERBURY (L421) The Multi Role Vessel (MRV)

The accepted design for the Royal New Zealand Navy's new MRV was Tenix's MRV design based on a commercial Ro-Ro ship, BEN-MY-CHREE in operation in the Irish Sea. Construction was contracted out to Merwede Shipyard in Rotterdam, The Netherlands , where the ship was launched on Saturday 11 February..
Canterbury sailed from Rotterdam in heavy rain on the late afternoon of 21 August 2006 .and headed to the Tenix yard at Williamstown, Melbourne to complete her final fit out of military and communications equipment prior to acceptance into New Zealand service. Job specific training and preparation has been underway for many months, however now the first members of Canterbury’s commissioning crew are also in Melbourne, completing training courses for the systems onboard their new ship.
The MRV is intended to provide a sealift capability for the transport and deployment of equipment, vehicles and personnel, and to be capable of transferring cargo and personnel ashore when port facilities are not available.
Displacement: 8000 tonnes
Length overall: 131 metres
Beam: 23.4 metres
Speed: 19 knots
Complement: Core ship's company: 53
Flight personnel: 10
Government agencies: 4
Army ship's staff: 7
Trainees: 35
Troops: 250
Total: 360
Propulsion: Diesel electric engines
Flight deck: Space for two helicopters
Helo The H90 helicopter will be able to operate from the MRV.
carrying Army equipment from the ship to shore.
Source : RNZN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMNZS Canterbury L421 -2.jpg (41.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 8th February 2007, 21:05

I was expecting her to be delivered by the end of January. However, she is still fitting out in Melbourne. Do you know why?

The Canterbury L421 is a nice looking innovated ferry design to build a sea lift/training/patrol ship, a true multi-role vessel.

While I support building a third frigate, I also support all of the Project Protector vessels too. Its great to see the Royal New Zealand Navy diversify. Patrolling ones EEZ is just as important as a frigate. These ships should release the Anzac frigates for more international duties, freeing them from patrol duties around New Zealand.

While the Irish Naval Service has not decided on which ship design, they are also proceeding with a multi-role ship of their own. Their defence department looked over the Canterbury when she was still in Holland, and were very impressed. The Irish are spending 200 million Euros on a MRV and two OPVs this year. Similar to New Zealand in costs for the three largest ships of Project Protector.

Last edited by Sea Toby : 8th February 2007 at 21:07.
Old 9th February 2007, 09:38

My location
Thanks for your positive comments. NZ has the third (?) largest EEZ to look after ! We also have a very long coastline and border security is real problem in these days of drugs etc. (The gear for the 'Rainbow Warrior' bombing came in a yacht !) We would have loved a third frigate too, but can't be greedy !
I was not expecting a January delivery for Canterbury, but will check it out.

Cheers
Brian
Old 9th February 2007, 09:56

My location
Rumour I heard on Wednesday (Naval source) says delivery of the OPV's has now been put back due to a 'technical' problem with the aluminium used in parts of the superstructure. Some parts to be removed and rebuilt.

Dennis.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:46

dom

read a post somewhere today in the news about a RNZN vessel not being ready for duty because the crew was not up th the firefighting standards,cant find it now ,anybody seen it??
Old 9th February 2007, 10:55

My location
Exclamation HMNZS Otago & Wellington - Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV)

HMNZS OTAGO (P148) was launched on 18 November 2006, HMNZS WELLINGTON is to be launched mid-2007, with both vessels due for delivery in 2007
These OPVs are based on a design already in service with the Irish Navy and are under construction by Tenix in Melbourne, Australia with modules made in Whangarei NZ ,
These two ships are required to conduct maritime surveillance, in conjunction with maritime air patrol assets to the limit of New Zealand's EEZ, in the South Pacific and in the Southern Ocean. Tasks in the southern half of the EEZ are mostly offshore, but activity in the south almost doubles during winter, coinciding with the worst sea states.

Displacement: 1600 tonnes
Length overall: 85 metres
Beam: 14 metres
Speed: 22 knots
Range: 6,000nm
Complement: Core ship's company: 35
Flight personnel: 10
Additional personnel: 30
Helo: Can embark Kaman SH-2G (NZ) Seasprite helicopter onboard, armed with torpedoes, depth charges and Maverick missiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMNZS Otago launch.jpg (18.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg HMNZ OPV.jpg (19.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 9th February 2007, 12:21

My location
Exclamation Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPV) HMNZS ROTOITI, HAWEA, PUKAKI, TAUPO

The four IPVs are being built and launched at at the Tenix shipyard in Whangarei, to conduct maritime surveillance in support of civil agencies in the area from the shoreline to approx 24 nautical miles. The total requirement is for about 950 sea days annually. Tasks in the northern half of our EEZ (north of and including the Marlborough Sounds and Tasman Bay) are almost all inshore, with relatively constant levels of activity during the year. The Inshore Patrol Vessels are based on a Tenix-designed Search and Rescue vessel in service with the Philippines Coast Guard.
The first IPV HMNZS ROTOITI is well advanced and the keel was laid for the second IPV, to be named HMNZS HAWEA on Wednesday 13 December 2006 in Whangarei.
Displacement: 340 tonnes
Length overall: 55 metres
Beam: 9 metres
Speed: 25 knots
Range: 3,000 nautical miles
Complement: Core ship's company: 20
Additional personnel: 12
Total: 36
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMNZS HAWEA KEEL.jpg (40.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HMNZ IPV.jpg (18.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg HMNZS Rotoiti IPV.jpg (3.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 9th February 2007, 13:24

Brian,
I attended the launch of the OTAGO, refer to:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/NZ_Coasta...?showtopic=389
and some further few pages about the new MRV CANTERBURY
http://z7.invisionfree.com/NZ_Coasta...?showtopic=140
Regards,
Jan
Old 10th February 2007, 01:21

My location
Thumbs up

Jan

Thanks for that, and the awesome Otago photos by yourself and Canterbury ones by ruud. I would love to take a copy of these, if that is OK ?

Sorry about the loooooong speeches, I guess it is par for the course ! I have spent my share on being on parade in the heat and whilst an endless line of people in the shade rambled on.

Otherwise I am glad you were able to go and enjoy the day. Thanks again.
Best regards
Brian
Old 10th February 2007, 02:50

Brian,
Take as many copies as you like.
I probably also attend the big splash of the next vessel and shall post some photos.
I may go to the yard next week to visit the MRV Canterbury.
Could take photos too, however there is quite some footage done by others already.
Best regards,
Jan
Old 10th February 2007, 03:11

My location
Jan

Thanks for that and enjoy your visits. I think NZ is onto the right track with these vessels and the intended tasks.
Cheers
Brian
Old 11th February 2007, 03:27

dom

sorry about namining the NZ ship not being ready for sea,it was a Norwegian frigate where the crew was'nt up to scratch
Old 11th February 2007, 03:44

My location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
sorry about namining the NZ ship not being ready for sea,it was a Norwegian frigate where the crew was'nt up to scratch
Hi dom

Thanks for that, I was surprised because Kiwi ships have to pass their Operational Readiness Evaluation before they are declared operational.
(Last one I did we got 96% !)

Cheers
Brian
Old 11th February 2007, 04:16

dom

just my usual note keeping,write it down and throw it away
Old 11th February 2007, 13:01

Saturdays Wellington paper,"the Dominion Post", February 10, 2007 has an update. The MRV originally scheduled, for commission in DEC 2006 is now expected to enter service in April/May 07 not yet finalised as there are delays in some equipment, spares etc). Once a delivery date was settled, officials would sit down with the ship builder Tenix to discuss what constituted excusable delays. The Defence Ministry had also caused some of the delays when it required extra stiffening to the bow, after a similar sized Cook Strait Ferry (travel Wellington-Picton South Island and back) suffered damage to its bow in heavy sea's crossing the Cook Strait.

The first OPV, HMNZS Otago, is scheduled for delivery October/Nov 07.T he second OPV, HMNZS Wellington, will be launched late 2007.

The IPV's are running a couple of months behind. The first IPV, HMNZS Rotoiti will launch August or September.

Sorry cannot send you a link to the article which I have here in front of me. Tried, perhaps a more computer savy member can?
Old 12th February 2007, 08:06

My location
Question

Nothing yet on RNZN media release site, what is their source ?
Brian
Old 14th February 2007, 21:19

Phil Goff, Minister of Defence, replied to Dr. Mann's recent statements:

Media statements released by National Defence spokesman Dr Wayne Mapp over the last three days are factually wrong, says Defence Minister Phil Goff.

"In a statement released on 12 February, Dr Mapp claimed that 'seven new ships are supposed to be delivered in the next two and a half years'. In fact all seven ships are on target to be delivered by the middle of next year, that is within the next eighteen months", Mr Goff said.

"Dr Mapp claims that delays in delivering ships 'are likely to mean an increased dollar tag'. In fact the total cost of the seven new ships which will be commissioned by next year will come within the $500 million budget.

"Sea trials are held for each vessel before delivery to determine what if any defects need to be remedied.

"The expense of any remedial work required prior to ship delivery is met by the manufacturer, under contract, not the purchaser. There will be no additional cost to New Zealand.

"In his statement of February 14, Dr Mapp refers to cracks in the bow door of the Canterbury, as there is no bow door Dr Mapp's claims are clearly wrong, he also refers to an accident involving the vessel. The vessel has not been involved in any accident. A problem relating to the rudder function disclosed in the sea trial is being repaired at the expense of the contractor involved.

"Dr Mapp repeats claims about budget blow outs and New Zealand taxpayers picking up the tab in todays press statement. He is simply repeating what he knows to be untrue and damages his own credibility", Mr Goff said.

It appears Tenix has fallen behind on construction, and the final refit of the Canterbury. Instead of all of the ships being commissioned by the end of 2007, it now appears the last ship will be commissioned in mid 2008.
Old 15th February 2007, 00:29

My location
Thanks Sea Toby, politics again !
Brian
Old 18th April 2007, 04:16
navig8

Updated photo

This was taken in early April and shows two of the new Kiwi ships being fitted out at the Tenix Yard in Williamstown VIC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiwi New Builds at Williamstown.jpg (96.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 18th April 2007, 09:31

I had planned to visit the ships at Tenix Williamstown today, but ran out of time.
So will visit them end of June and post some photos then.
Jan
Old 18th April 2007, 12:39

My location
Thanks, gents, I appreciate the updates.
Brian