Ships Nostalgia banner

Former RN Vessels abroad

12K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  zero 
#1 ·
Can anyone help, I am compiling a list of former RN vessels serving with foreign navies and am wondering if memebers wouldn't mind updating me of what ships are out there and their current status. In particular I'm curious to know the fate of the former Indonesian Tribals, the Bangladeshi type 41/61s and the Peruvian Darings.

#4 ·
Hi Stevo

Chile has also bought many ex RN Ships in the past, their latest ones being three of the Type 23 frigates.
If you look up copies of Janes Fighting Ships, past & present books, you should be able to find the fate of many of these ships.
If I can, I will try to compel a list of some of them.
Regards
Karl

#8 ·
Originally posted by Strawberry

Regele Ferdinand is the ex RN T22 HMS Coventry, sold to Romania, along with Regina Maria, ex HMS London. Almirante Cochrane is one of the three T23's, the others being Almirante Lynch & Almirante Condell. There seems to be plenty of information on Wikipedia on RN warships and where they have gone. Lots still hanging around Portsmouth!
Robin

#9 ·
Regele Ferdinand is the ex RN T22 HMS Coventry, sold to Romania, along with Regina Maria, ex HMS London. Almirante Cochrane is one of the three T23's, the others being Almirante Lynch & Almirante Condell. There seems to be plenty of information on Wikipedia on RN warships and where they have gone. Lots still hanging around Portsmouth!
Robin
Oh well...they all look the same to me!(==D)

#12 ·
For all: I am a chilean warship lover, and this is my first post to this forum.

For Hawkeye:
Since 80 s years Chile has purchased many ex british ships. The first one was the County Batch 2 class guided missile destroyer HMS Norfolk, and was renamed Prat. The following ship adquired by our navy was the tanker HMS Tidepool, renamed Montt. Then after the Falklands war Chile received three remaining Counties Batch 2: HMS Antrim, renamed Blanco Encalada, HMS Fife, renamed Almirante Cochrane, and finally the HMS Glamorgan, renamed Almirante Latorre. Now all the Counties are deleted from active ship lists and the Montt, was sold to unknown owners in operative status.
The fate of the four Counties are as follows:
Almirante Latorre (ex HMS Glamorgan) deleted in the 90, sunk while she was towing to scrappers in front of Arica harbour.
Blanco Encalada (ex HMS Antrim) deleted in 2000, scrapped.
Prat (ex HMS Norfolk) deleted in 2005, moored at Talcahuano.
Almirante Cochrane (ex Fife) deleted in 2006, moored at Talcahuano.
In addition to these ships, Chile purchased two additional Leander class frigates, the HMS Achilles, renamed as Ministro Zenteno and the HMS Ariadne, renamed as General Baquedano. The fate of these two ships are as follows:
General Baquedano (ex HMS Ariadne) deleted in 2000 and was used in a Sinkex in front of Los Vilos.
Ministro Zenteno (ex HMS Achilles) deleted in 2005 and now is moored at Talcahuano.

Regards from Chile
Tomcat I

#16 ·
Thanks Grifmar.
Another info that I can give you is about the Type 22 Batch 2 frigate. This ship is the "Almirante Williams" (ex HMS "Sheffield" or "Shiny Sheffi"). This handsome frigate is now the flagship of the fleet (called here Escuadra Nacional, literally translated as National Square). In the near future this ship will go to refit at Talcahuano and she will receive a CIWS Vulcan Phalanx, an OTO Melara of 76 mm gun, Harpoon Block IIA surface to surface missiles with land attack capability (some as little Tomahawk) and new electronic warfare, but the Type 967/968 radar will be retained. Is possible that the original Seawolf missile system can be replaced by the latest Seawolf 2, similar that installed in Type 23 frigates in VLS.

Regards
Tomcat_I

#18 ·
Stevo, in reply to your query. Indonesian Navy (TNI AL) had three tribals namely : HMS ZULU(KRI MARTHA KHRISTINA TIAYAHAHU) , GURKHA (KRI WILHELMUS ZAKARIAS YOHANNES) and TARTAR (KRI HASANUDIN). these ships are not on TNI AL operational list anymore. For your information KRI HASANUDIN (TARTAR) had already been replaced with a new HASANUDIN of the Sigma Type Corvete built by Netherlands.
Bangladesh Navy had two type 41 frigates namely LYNX (BNS ABU BAKR) and JAGUAR(BNS ALI HYDER) and one type 16, LLANDAFF (BNS OMAR FAROOQ). According to my latest information all the three ships are still operational serving with the Commodore Commanding BN Flotilla (COMBAN) moored in Chittagong.
Malaysian Navy had one Type 41/61 class frigate, MERMAID (KD HANG TUAH). She is still in service and used as training ship. I hope the information given is useful to you. Best Regards. tipahmh. Malaysia.

#21 ·
Cheers folks, it was so long ago that I sent that post, that I had all but forgotton it.
I was particularly curious to know the fate of the former Indonesian Tribals, the Bangladeshi type 41/61s and the Peruvian Darings and try and see if there was anything out there that I was missing particularly in the small vessel fleet. Since that time the Bangladeshi ships have reappeared at sea so are still going strong, but the ultimate fate of the Tribals was never known, nor where the London (Babur) was scrapped or the Iranian Damavand a former Battle class destroyer.

Stevo, I reckon we all knew the Hermes was out but yeah, no one mentioned it. I went to Mumbai a few years back and could not find the Viraat or the Vikrant which is now a museum. No one knew what I was asking for despite having an interpreter.

#22 · (Edited)
Steve, If you have Google earth(free to install and use) search Surabaya, then scroll out to the ocean, dockyard easy to find. Loads of Naval ships in port including all the ex dutch Leanders. I cant make out a tribal but I know they were modernised so maybe hard to recognise. Lots of other old scrap ships by the looks of it. Also tried a few other Indonesian dockyards but no joy.

I have found a few other ex british ships this way but even google earth is not bang up to date and you can only get good clarity in some countries

Also at the Karachi Dockyard you can see all the Type 21's and Gun leander in a floating dock, very stripped by the looks of it, (Diomede or Apollo)
You can clearly see Vikrant in Mumbai along with the Ex Andromeda, Type 22's in Brazil near Sao Paulo. In the Chilean port of Talcahuano you can find 2 counties and a Leander, You can clearly see one of the counties has a larger flight deck than the other. Also at the port of Plaza Sotomayor are the Type 23's.

I also just checked out the Chittagong naval base in Bangladesh and can clearly make out a Type 41 with a front and rear 4.5" guns and perhpas 2 Type 61's?

#25 ·
Just looking at Surabaya like Macca recommended, I think I've found a Tribal. There are 3 Dutch Leanders alongside each other, just aft of them are another 4 vessels, the 3rd one from the harbourside looks about the right shape and size as a Tribal. The Flightdeck looks to be in the right place and a few other features can just be made out. Surabaya hasn't got the best detail yet though so I'm ready to be proved wrong.:D

#27 ·
I am sure I saw one of the Tribals wrecked on a beach in a TV report in the aftermath of the Tsunami.

Dan

PS

What the hell made Glamorgan sink? An Exocet wasn't up to the job and with such a high freeboard it does make you wonder what it took to take such a strong and well constructed ship to the bottom.

Ah well, another bit of the sea flood that will foreverbe a piece of Tyneside.

#29 ·
Wildcat.
The reason of the sink of the Latorre ( ex HMS Glamorgan) is not clear. There was no storm because the area of the sinking was offshore of Arica, and in that place there is no bad weather at the whole year.
This sinking was very strange, becuase the ship buoyancy at hat date was in excellent conditions. I think that the owner preferred to sink the ship in order to obtain more money from the insurance organization.

Regards from Chile
Tomcat_I

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.