Cayzer Irvine. - Ships Nostalgia
05:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cayzer Irvine.

Old 13th March 2007, 20:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Cayzer Irvine.

Anyone ever work for Cayzer Irvine (not strictly Clan line but part of the same shipping group,British & Commonwealth) I did my first 3 trips with them-1981-83, King alfred, Scottish lion and Edinburgh Universal. One of the better companys to work for? (so I was told back then!), crews were ok too.
Old 15th April 2008, 17:22

Cayzer Irvine - Scottish Lion

Hi,
Yes, I worked for Cayzer Irvine on the Scottish Lion in '83 as an A.B. A lot of the crew had been on the sister ship, the Scottish Eagle, in the Falklands the previous year where she'd been the longest continuous serving ship, naval or merchant, there.
Gray Francks.
Old 9th August 2009, 07:45

Cayzer Irvine

My name is steve robson
I worked for Cayzer Irvine of a quite a few years around the mud 80's
I sailed on the Al Zohal, Meltem and Mistral, and the Scirocco Universal.
I have lost touch with just about everyone now, so would like to hear from anyone from those good days.

Steve
Old 9th August 2009, 09:51
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - Present

I started my cadetship with them september '77. Sailed on the Barcelona, King Richard, twice, & Causeway, until made redundant, & offered a job foreign flag in the same sentance back in 1983. Did another 10 & half years on those before being displaced by alternative source officers (cheaper than Brits). Then went to P & O Containers, 2nd trip with them was on the Table Bay (once known as Barcelona).
Old 9th August 2009, 19:24

My location
Wharferat when did you sail on the Causeway? I sailed on her twice - June to October 1981 and then Feb to Aug 1982
Old 10th August 2009, 06:24
Active: 1977 - Present

Hi Banni, I was with you on your last trip there. Well remember you coming back to the ER after being interrupted by Jelly Tot whilst combining a livener & a session on the throne. Gordon Watt(?) was 3/E, Murray Sinclair 2/E, Me, J/E. IIRC you paid off in Isreal. You were relieved by Barry Gibb (he left a few years later to become a policeman), Gordon was relieved by jeff Argent, Jellly Tot by Sad Sam . Other names that trip, Bob Dhoby, Fred Yeulett, Terry O'Donnel, Charlie Cavanagh, Phil Hooper, Richard Precious. Wonder what they're all doing now?
Old 10th August 2009, 08:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Why not join our B&C Group and try to trace each other:
http://groups.google.com/group/british-and-commonwealth
Old 11th December 2009, 20:40

Hi Guys,
Just picked this thread up, Initially, Cayer Irvine owned ships but gradually transferred to ship management, in the later years the company owned various ships as they shrunk their orginal ownership.

Last edited by macca57 : 11th December 2009 at 21:42.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:59
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
Just picking this thread up myself

Cayzer ships I sailed on from 1981:-
Clan Alpine, King Alfred, Table Bay, Scottish Eagle, Scottish Lion, Speedster Universal, Meltem, Al Moshtaree

Regards to all
Mark Coultas
Old 19th November 2011, 19:09
Active: 1979 - 1987

Smile Stirling Universal

I think myself and my room mate Willie White were about the last engineer cadets with Cayzer Irvine, we started in 1980 in Southampton. There we a couple of CI cadets in older years but I forget there names. Think Willie ended up at James Fisher on the nuclear boats, would like to catch up with him if anyone knows where he is now?

I did 6 months on the Stirling Universal in 82 I think. Joined in Sheerness (sheernasty!), think we did Panama Canal, Equador, Chile, Suez Canal, Capetown, and most of the Med and Uk, great time. I did my final cadet time on the OCL Resolution Bay, got made redundant by B&C the day paid before off, then got a job with OCL the next day on another shio . I remember sailing as a 4th Eng without a 4ths ticket, got it the next time home.

I visited their offices in Seething Lane, Capt Abbot was the cadet manager, a real gentleman. The offices were full of ship memorabilia, like bells and ship models.

I have some pics of the boats, will have to scan them and put them online. I remember getting my eye brows shaved when crossing the line, and the ceremony, happy days.

Great to hear from other CI employees.

Cheers
Nick Cardew
Old 9th February 2013, 22:21
Active: 1955 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0SLP View Post
Just picking this thread up myself

Cayzer ships I sailed on from 1981:-
Clan Alpine, King Alfred, Table Bay, Scottish Eagle, Scottish Lion, Speedster Universal, Meltem, Al Moshtaree

Regards to all
Mark Coultas
Hullo Mark,
I did the later days in the Shipyard before the Maiden Voyage of tha m.v. king Alfred. Cleaning her up, Storing her up and getting her ready for the trip. I then did the Maiden Voyage on her. I was the Purser.
Regards, Archie.
Old 28th January 2014, 16:24
Active: 1975 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharferat View Post
Hi Banni, I was with you on your last trip there. Well remember you coming back to the ER after being interrupted by Jelly Tot whilst combining a livener & a session on the throne. Gordon Watt(?) was 3/E, Murray Sinclair 2/E, Me, J/E. IIRC you paid off in Isreal. You were relieved by Barry Gibb (he left a few years later to become a policeman), Gordon was relieved by jeff Argent, Jellly Tot by Sad Sam . Other names that trip, Bob Dhoby, Fred Yeulett, Terry O'Donnel, Charlie Cavanagh, Phil Hooper, Richard Precious. Wonder what they're all doing now?
Odd to see my name on this. I did do a stint in the police but returned to Texaco before being made redundant. Now with BP working in office on new build projects. - Barry Gibbs
Old 28th January 2014, 16:34

My location
Barry, you relieved me, I then did a coastal and joined the Police in Dumfries and galloway, served 27 years and retired with 30yrs pension because my MN pension commuted. Since then I have been a postie for 3yrs., and now finished for good! strange world