Orama - Ships Nostalgia
19:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Orama

Old 18th February 2005, 20:52

Orama

Built by Lithgow at Port Glasgow in 1964 for Trident Tankers she had a sister ORISSA.
As IOANNIS ANGELICOUSSIS she sank in 1979 following explosions whilst loading cargo in Angola.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orama.jpg (37.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 29th May 2011, 19:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1999

My first ship with P&O BSD. joined as Lecky Jan 1972 in Philadelphia when she still had Trident Tanker colours. Did a 6 month trip mainly traded east coast USA and Carribean.A hard working ship with poor insulation between the Eng/room bulkheads and accomadation,she was a sweatbox, built on the cheap with her sister ships Opawa and Orissa.

Last edited by RAY CLARKE : 29th May 2011 at 19:41.
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

Sailed on Orama all those years ago ... sad to see how she ended. Will have to check the dates! For sure it was as a Deck Cadet in days of Trident!
Old 16th November 2011, 23:08

sailed on orama may 72 jnr eng ceo terry sherman at trindad then to the states and tripoli then to los angeles etc i still remember 10 cylinder b&w with 4 turbos.many crankcase fires.dug slade.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:49

Orama

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggieslade View Post
sailed on orama may 72 jnr eng ceo terry sherman at trindad then to the states and tripoli then to los angeles etc i still remember 10 cylinder b&w with 4 turbos.many crankcase fires.dug slade.
Hi Duggie, I Joined Orama as lecky in Philedelphia Jan 72 and signed off with the 3/eng Ron Paton in Boston June 72 so we must have been sailing together! Don't Know if you can remember me.I can't remember who relieved me. C/Eng was Dave Robinson for most of the trip but Terry Sherman doesn't ring any bells in me.I believe Dave Robinson passed away in the mid 70's, I think he had a heart problem. Orama was a very hard working ship never a dull day!and as I remember had no A/C so Accomadation was always unbearable in the tropics. Regards Ray Clarke
Old 19th November 2011, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY CLARKE View Post
Hi Duggie, I Joined Orama as lecky in Philedelphia Jan 72 and signed off with the 3/eng Ron Paton in Boston June 72 so we must have been sailing together! Don't Know if you can remember me.I can't remember who relieved me. C/Eng was Dave Robinson for most of the trip but Terry Sherman doesn't ring any bells in me.I believe Dave Robinson passed away in the mid 70's, I think he had a heart problem. Orama was a very hard working ship never a dull day!and as I remember had no A/C so Accomadation was always unbearable in the tropics. Regards Ray Clarke
Couple of names there bring back memories. Terry Sherman was the 2/Eng on the Ottawa when I joined her at Palmers drydock in Hebburn for my first trip in 1968, and we paid off together in Zeebrugge in January 1969.

I sailed with Dave Robinson on Orissa, a sister to Orama, he did indeed die of a heart problem in the mid 70's, a great shame as he was one of the nicest people I have ever met. The Orissa was my first motorship and a baptism of fire to say the least. I can still remember hearing the Paxman cargo pump being started and being amazed that a piece machinery could make a noise like that and remain intact.
Old 5th December 2011, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY CLARKE View Post
My first ship with P&O BSD. joined as Lecky Jan 1972 in Philadelphia when she still had Trident Tanker colours. Did a 6 month trip mainly traded east coast USA and Carribean.A hard working ship with poor insulation between the Eng/room bulkheads and accomadation,she was a sweatbox, built on the cheap with her sister ships Opawa and Orissa.
Hi Ray
I joined her as junior engineer in 1966; my first ship.We had Chinese fitters in the engine room, indian engineroom greasers and Chinese cooks and cabin boys - all very good.
I have published a book about serving my time in Harland & Wolff in 1960's before going to sea, and am half way through sequel - Away to Sea, I was looking for a photo of the MV ORAMa for the front cover, is your photo your own or copyright and if it is yours could you let me use it and credit the image to you and a freebee copy of book when finished!
nice to be in touch with someone who sailed on her
bye
Willie Scott
Old 5th December 2011, 11:39

Hi Willie, Sorry but I haven't posted a photo of Orama, I think it may have been posted by "fairfield" who started this thread.Interesting to hear about the book you writing let me know when and where I can get a copy.......Ray.
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:52

hello ray the lecky that releived you i think was toni farrel the capt was wilf pinder i joined in trinidad must of been in may 72 a few weeks after getting married my wife joined me next time in philli the 2nd engineer was peter cremin also we had a steam chief kieth darling doing his motor time
Old 4th September 2012, 12:19

Quote:
hello ray the lecky that releived you i think was toni farrel the capt was wilf pinder i joined in trinidad must of been in may 72 a few weeks after getting married my wife joined me next time in philli the 2nd engineer was peter cremin also we had a steam chief kieth darling doing his motor time

Hi Dugie, Toni farrel doesn't ring a bell with me but Wilf Pinder does.I believe he came from across the river to me somewhere in North Tyneside but passed away in the 70's.Also Peter Cremin but I thought he was Mate not 2/E. I keep trying to picture your face Dougie, I dont suppose you have any photos you can post round about that time!?
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:19

Keith Darling

Quote:
Was Keith Darling from Falmouth?
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:48

Orama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlecky View Post
Was Keith Darling from Falmouth?
I remember Kieth Darling but have no idea where he was from.I'm Sure that Peter Cremin was Mate not 2/E(could be my terrible memory of course) as I sailed with him on my last ship with BSD the AL Dhafrah when we laid her upin Jebel Ali.Anyone heard anything about Ron Paton 3/E who I sailed with on several times I believe he ended up as cargo engineer on the Gas Carriers.
Regards to All. Ray
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:44

My location
Hi Ray.
I sailed with Ron Paton as Cargo Engineer on GANDARA way back in 1980. we drydocked at Rotterdam, and all had our families out for the duration.

Later I was sent on the MSA Gas Analyser course at Coatbridge Glasgow, while there my wife met up with Ron's family for a day out. Afraid we lost touch after that.

Cheers
Nigel.

Last edited by Nigel Wing : 3rd October 2012 at 17:07.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:59

Talking Orama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wing View Post
Hi Ray.
I sailed with Ron Paton as Cargo Engineer on GANDARA way back in 1980. we drydocked at Rotterdam, and all had our families out for the duration.

Later I was sent on the MSA Gas Analyser course at Coatbridge Glasgow, while there my wife met up with Ron's family for a day out. Afraid we lost touch after that.

Cheers
Nigel.
Thanks for that Nigel......Talking about the MSA gas analyser I remember it well and I did a presentation on it at South Shields Tech. back in the 70's. Do you remember the Mass spectrometer they were trying out on the gas carriers ? It measured the atomic weight of gases and so was extremely accurate and sensative.Unfortunately it would set off the alarm if you literally farted in the accomadation!!!! so I don't think BSD invested it!
regards Ray.
Old 5th October 2012, 16:21

My location
Ray. I do remember the Mass Spectrometer trials. see on GAMBADA thread.
Cheers Nigel.