Old Shipmates - Ships Nostalgia
01:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Shipmates

Old 6th April 2007, 17:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Old Shipmates

Does anybody out there remember Captain John.D. Pascoe or any other Officers of Moss Hutchison's "Assiout" mid 1960's?
Regards,
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 14th April 2007, 12:09
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Moss Hutchison

sailed on Assiout, Karnak, Kypros, and Kantara 67 to 70
J D Pascoe was mate on the Assiout end of 67 with Frank Spikins as Master then back to Master again on the Karnak, Kypros - master was Brendan cooney, Kantara - Aurther Sugden
regards
alistair grubb
Old 14th April 2007, 12:50

Alistair,
I was in the Assiout when she was on charter to Harrisons of Liverpool. I was there as Supercargo for Harrisons. To the best of my recollection this was in 1960/1 period.
I take it that after that time J.D. Pascoe reverted to Chief Officer for a while, is that correct?.
I remember that the Chief Officer that voyage was engaged to marry J.D.P's daughter but I cannot remember his name.
Best regards,
Peter Baker.
Old 14th April 2007, 13:24

My location
assiout

Pat
My first voyage With Moss's was on the Assiout as 3rd mate towards end of 1967 - JD Pascoe was back as mate at that time with semi retired Frank Spikins as Master, 2nd mate was a pilot from Bristol channel getting some seatime in - voyage was to w . indies on charter from London for Harrisons - all MH vessels were on charter at this time - banned from Israeli and Arab ports following 6 day war. Purser/supercargo was a young lad by the name of Corkill
hope this helps
Alistair
Old 16th April 2007, 14:26

Alistair,

Thanks for your reply, I cannot say that I recall a Purser named Corkill, but I an still in touch with a few of Harrsions Pursersfrom the 1950's to 1970's and will ask them if they remember him.
Why did John.D. Pascoe revert to Chief Officer?
Cheers,
Pat Baker.
Old 24th April 2007, 13:27

Rothesian.

Alistair.
Did you receive my private message re J.D.Pascoe?
Pat Baker.
Old 25th April 2007, 11:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Sailed on the Makaria with Capt. J D Pascoe from `75 - `77, & I think it was Feb. `77 when he retired, certainly to my knowledge that was his last voyage. He had a wealth of stories that he was only too happy to recall with very little prompting. Must say I`m intrigued as to why he was put back to ch/off & would love to hear from Rothesian as to the reason. Also sailed with Captains Arthur Sugden, R G Roberts, Ernie Plater, ? Prescott,Bob Blaiklock, & I McAllister. Very happy ships by & large with good runs.
David
Old 25th April 2007, 12:26

David Wilcockson,

Was the R.G. Roberts that you sailed with connected to J.D. Pascoe by any chance.
When I sailed with J.D.P. in the 60's the Chief Officer of the Assiout was engaged to John Pascoe's daughter, and I seem to remember that his name was Roberts.
Regards,
Pat Baker.
Old 25th April 2007, 12:46
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Pat
I hate to say this but I`ve got a total blank where R G Roberts is concerned, I was on the Amarna with him but after checking my old journal I only served about ten days with him;I joined in Heysham then to Camel Lairds for d/dock for 6 days & onto Ellesmere Port to load outward after that. He would have left either in dry dock or at EP, & as to whether he was married to J D`s daughter totally escapes me, sorry I can`t be more informative. I always found JD a good Captain to sail with, only wish I could turn the clock back to the Moss Hutch. days, running up & down the Medi.
David
Old 26th April 2007, 13:36

David Wilcockson.

Many thanks for your reply.
I understand entireley your situation. Time plays hell with everybodys memory and furthermore you were only with R.G. Roberts a few days.

I also enjoyed my trip with J.D. Pascoe, a good Captain and a fine man.

We ran to the West Indies and then all along the Venezuelan coast.

Cheers,
Pat.
Old 4th May 2007, 21:12

My location
Moss Hutchison & JDP

sorry guys - getting a bit confused - old age maybe - just returned from welcoming my 1st granddaughter into the world - Elsie Carolyn Marjory Grubb
6lb 10 oz 21st April - catching up on emails etc - replied to Pat's email re JDP and think I received a reply but now confused as to where the thread has gone - please advise
alistair
Old 4th May 2007, 21:29

Congratulations Alastair,
Brgds
Hague (Maron)
Old 4th May 2007, 23:03

Many congratulations Alastair. Arch.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:24

Alastair,

Congratulations on the new additionto the family.
The first grandchild?. You make me feel terribly old, I have 12 of the little perishers.

All the best to you and little Elsie.

Cheers,
Pat Baker.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:58
"Sock Puppet" account

Moss Hutchison

Anyone out there sailed with Mick Proctor in the 60s?
Old 9th May 2007, 22:21

My location
was Mike Proctor a bosun
Old 10th May 2007, 09:18
"Sock Puppet" account

Mick Proctor

I was up for Master's (FG) in Byrom Street with Mick in 69. We both came up off deck (two in one class a rareity according to Ozzie Stewart)and got on well together. Mick was ex Blue Funnel and if my memory serves me right his father was the Senior Bosun in Blue Funnel (taught Cadets at Odyssey Works). He must have been C/Off or at least 2/O in Moss Hutchison....'Armana' rings bells. Heard he joined B&I Ferries after Master's.
Old 10th May 2007, 09:56

My location
I must remember the name from my Blue Flue days
Armarna and Memphis were the two Moss Hutchison boats I never sailed on
In Moss's you tended to stick to the same vessel - signing off and on the same day, then working by, okay if you lived in Liverpool - at Christmas we received a bonus - it was in fact payment for accrued leave on articles
Alistair
Old 11th May 2007, 12:14
"Sock Puppet" account

Blue Funnel? Always regret not joing them as boy. Fine ships and an excellent training from my observation of the few i sailed with.
Old 12th May 2007, 22:18

My location
George Roberts was promoted Master around 67/68 - also a George Roberts (older) in office Martins Bank Buildings, water Street - Frank Price was the Chief Steward on Assiout when i was there, He had a brother who was also C\s - any one remember his name, others were Harry dooley & Billy Ormesher
Old 14th May 2007, 21:31

rothesian,

I cannot recalll the name of the Chief Steward that I sailed with in the Assiout in the 1960's, but we had to pay him off in Curacao (drunk and uncatchable).
The Captain, as I have said before, was John D.Pascoe.
Does anybody out there remember this voyage, or the name of the Chief Steward?
Cheers,
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 23rd May 2007, 19:06

I joined Moss Hutchison Line in 1970, sailed in Tabor, Kypros, Melita and Makaria.
Alastair,
Frank Price was my uncle, his brother was Raymond. At home they were known as Lenny and Raymond, on the boat Frank and Paul. My uncle Raymond introduced me to Mossy's when I left SSA.
Regards
Peter Price

Last edited by Ernie636 : 23rd May 2007 at 19:09.
Old 24th May 2007, 08:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie636 View Post
I joined Moss Hutchison Line in 1970, sailed in Tabor, Kypros, Melita and Makaria.
Alastair,
Frank Price was my uncle, his brother was Raymond. At home they were known as Lenny and Raymond, on the boat Frank and Paul. My uncle Raymond introduced me to Mossy's when I left SSA.
Regards
Peter Price
Hi Peter
Sailed with both - one used to carry a shotgun and we used to have regular claypigeon shoots over the side at sea - I think it was Frank - the clays were USED beer cans fired from a special trigger he had procured - Pretty sure Frank was on the Assiout and Karnak, Paul would have been on the Kantara at the time - sad to see the demise of such a friendly company
Old 24th May 2007, 21:54

Hello Alastair,
I imagine Frank carried the shot gun, he was quite a trickster. One yarn I heard- dressed as an Arab he confronted Capt. Cooney complaining he'd sank his dhow, unable to extract any compensation he tried to sell him some 'dirty postcards'. I understand Capt. Cooney never twigged on!
I agree with you it was a cracking company. I remember a spell standing-by on the 'Spiv Gang' some great characters-Dusty Miller, Ricky Robinson, Geoff(oggy) & Bertie Soames, Jack Kinkler, Jack Healey, Dave Macawley. Macawley loved to related company tales, one 'The Pifco Torch' was a gem. Can't remenber which ship but before the Melita & Makaria joined the fleet the main engine was either a 4 cyl. doxford or a 8 cyl. b&w. The latter having an air intake at each end of the engine covered with a diamond patterned grill. Engineers serving in these vessels recognizable by the imprint of this on the legs of their boilersuits. Apparently the chief engineer making his rounds during the 8-12 watch pm decided to take a look inside the intake. Removing the grill and with the use of a pifco torch inspected the space. Unfortunately reaching further inside he dropped his torch and unable to retrieve it replaced the grill unaware the 4th engineer was looking on. Finishing his rounds he strolled on to the boat deck, a beautiful meddy evening the sea like a duck pond.
'Evening chief' greeted the second engineer 'Funny thing just a moment ago the funnel gave a cough and a burst of black smoke and a pifco torch came flying out and landed just over there with a plop. It was still f....n lit!'
'Mmmmm... really' replied the chief.
When the sailing crowd returned to the ship after a couple of weeks, Dusty Miller advised the chief ' We did those units and found in number three a pifco torch, it was stiil f....n lit! I've ordered another six for next voyage. there f....n good torches them.
Best Regrads
Peter

Last edited by Ernie636 : 24th May 2007 at 21:57.
Old 28th May 2007, 10:17

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie636 View Post
Hello Alastair,
I imagine Frank carried the shot gun, he was quite a trickster. One yarn I heard- dressed as an Arab he confronted Capt. Cooney complaining he'd sank his dhow, unable to extract any compensation he tried to sell him some 'dirty postcards'. I understand Capt. Cooney never twigged on!
I agree with you it was a cracking company. I remember a spell standing-by on the 'Spiv Gang' some great characters-Dusty Miller, Ricky Robinson, Geoff(oggy) & Bertie Soames, Jack Kinkler, Jack Healey, Dave Macawley. Macawley loved to related company tales, one 'The Pifco Torch' was a gem. Can't remenber which ship but before the Melita & Makaria joined the fleet the main engine was either a 4 cyl. doxford or a 8 cyl. b&w. The latter having an air intake at each end of the engine covered with a diamond patterned grill. Engineers serving in these vessels recognizable by the imprint of this on the legs of their boilersuits. Apparently the chief engineer making his rounds during the 8-12 watch pm decided to take a look inside the intake. Removing the grill and with the use of a pifco torch inspected the space. Unfortunately reaching further inside he dropped his torch and unable to retrieve it replaced the grill unaware the 4th engineer was looking on. Finishing his rounds he strolled on to the boat deck, a beautiful meddy evening the sea like a duck pond.
'Evening chief' greeted the second engineer 'Funny thing just a moment ago the funnel gave a cough and a burst of black smoke and a pifco torch came flying out and landed just over there with a plop. It was still f....n lit!'
'Mmmmm... really' replied the chief.
When the sailing crowd returned to the ship after a couple of weeks, Dusty Miller advised the chief ' We did those units and found in number three a pifco torch, it was stiil f....n lit! I've ordered another six for next voyage. there f....n good torches them.
Best Regrads
Peter
I can believe any of Frank's escapades - he was always up to something - although Paul was quieter he still had a quirky sense of humour, maybe a littler sublter than Franks.
You've brought a lot of memories back - I haven't heard those names for a long, long time - I remember when Oggie first joined - Bertie was really annoyed by people calling him Oggie, I can't recall his real name nor why he was called Oggie, I wonder what's happened to them all - another couple of engineers I remember were Ronnie Munro and a lad I think was from Sheffield whose party Trick was "sausage on a plate"
Met Dick McNally in Saudi Arabia where he looking after our tugs (Jubail) John McFadden mate then skipper on Stirling Esk, Bob Blaiklock last trip on St. Olaf, John Morinaud in aberdeen, now severely crippled with Arthritis , Robbie Middleton, retired - lives near Aberdeen, and a later one from P&O days Paul Williams, pilot at Aberdeen
best regards
Alistair Grubb