Caley canal - Ships Nostalgia
04:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Caley canal

Old 18th April 2007, 20:42

My location
Caley canal

Having lived in Lochaber for a number of years and then spent an equal number of years in the merchant navy, I didn't know the Caledonian Canal was twinned with the Rideau Canal in Ontario. On a visit back north I visited the Corpach basin and found an information board on the subject. Hopefully you can read the text from the thumbnail. I have also visited the Rideau Canal ( sadly in the summer so I haven't seen it frozen!) but didn't see any similar information board, does one exist?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caley canal information board..jpg (57.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 19th April 2007, 15:00
Retired Ancient Mariner
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
This winter the Rideau canal was very late in freezing due to mild conditions in December and January.
Made up for it later and the worlds longest skating rink was open for just one day short of the record. Thousands skate on it each day and there is plenty of entertainment along the banks.
Ottawa TOO COLD for me except when Parlament is sitting and hot air is generated
Bill