Benlomond - Kowloon - Ships Nostalgia
15:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benlomond - Kowloon

Old 27th April 2007, 23:30

Benlomond - Kowloon

In the 60's the Benlomond nearly demolished the Ocean terminal in Kowloon.
The Captain was Buck Rogers , I belierve they were approaching the terminal rather fast then Buck took over from the pilot and rang full astern , followed by double fulll astern followed by triple full astern - she hit at full ahead and the stories I heard that the 3rd. who was on the controls in the Enginroom got promotlon.
Anyone got further information ? I sailed with Buck on the Cairn, Vannoch and Lawers a few stories to tell !!! Good and bad !!!

Last edited by EBenarty : 27th April 2007 at 23:46.
Old 29th April 2007, 01:17

Benlomond

In the 60,s I joined the" Benreoch" for a coast UK/Continent.After she sailed out on the voyage.and,on arriving in Yokohama to berth at the brand new passenger terminal.the engines jammed ahead.and she hit the terminal as the welcoming band was playing. I remember an engineer at the time Archie Muir telling me that the Chinese fitter ran down the Engineroom uttering the words"Bow Bloken".
Saw a photo of her in for repairs berthed alongside the "Globtik Tokyo"largest tanker at the time.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:47

My location
I was on the Lomond from Feb. 67 to June 67,it was Danny Sinclair that was skipper then Billy.Quoting John,no bloken bows then!!
Old 29th April 2007, 14:31

Benlomond

Quote:
Originally Posted by wully farquhar View Post
I was on the Lomond from Feb. 67 to June 67,it was Danny Sinclair that was skipper then Billy.Quoting John,no bloken bows then!!
Wully .
Buck Rogers was old man on the Reoch that trip in Yokohama.Billy Sinclair just won,t admit a Sinclair would be in command if anything like that happened with the Lomond. Answer please Billy.( Ha ha)
Old 29th April 2007, 18:18
Willie

My location
George Rogers, Ch Off on the Benledi in 1969, is this the same Buck Rogers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benledi Ch Off.jpg (75.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 29th April 2007, 18:48

Buck Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mac View Post
George Rogers, Ch Off on the Benledi in 1969, is this the same Buck Rogers
No Willy.
George was Ch/Off on the Venue my first trip Ben line.a short guy.
Buck was master on the Reoch then.
After Ben line I believe George was in Denholms along with Arnold Peebles and Co.(another name from the past).I know he finished up in Seaboard as skipper as a pal of mine used to relieve him
Old 29th April 2007, 22:57
Willie

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
No Willy.
George was Ch/Off on the Venue my first trip Ben line.a short guy.
Buck was master on the Reoch then.
After Ben line I believe George was in Denholms along with Arnold Peebles and Co.(another name from the past).I know he finished up in Seaboard as skipper as a pal of mine used to relieve him
Hi John

I thought (Buck) might have been a pseudonym. Sailed with George on my first trip (actually three trips) on the "Benledi". As Chief Officer he was in charge of our training. After leaving Ben Line came across him again (as the Old Man) in 1973 on the "Temple Inn" one of Scottish Ship Management's bulk carriers.

Regards

Willie Mac
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
In the 60,s I joined the" Benreoch" for a coast UK/Continent.After she sailed out on the voyage.and,on arriving in Yokohama to berth at the brand new passenger terminal.the engines jammed ahead.and she hit the terminal as the welcoming band was playing. I remember an engineer at the time Archie Muir telling me that the Chinese fitter ran down the Engineroom uttering the words"Bow Bloken".
Saw a photo of her in for repairs berthed alongside the "Globtik Tokyo"largest tanker at the time.
Hi John,
I at least got the passenger terminal and Captain right!!! Was Archie Muir 3 rd ?? LOL !!
Yes it was Yokohama Passenger Terminal and the rest is hear say. They reckon
it was some spectacle !!
Anything on our old sea mates ie. Tommy Dinsdale, Harry Nutten, Charlie Sedgewick, Willie Main, Jimmy Torrie etc. I believe from Wully, Jim Mac Donald is still enjoying fishing on the Thurso Rver at Halkirk !!
Billy
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:34

Old Ben Line AB.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBenarty View Post
Hi John,
I at least got the passenger terminal and Captain right!!! Was Archie Muir 3 rd ?? LOL !!
Yes it was Yokohama Passenger Terminal and the rest is hear say. They reckon
it was some spectacle !!
Anything on our old sea mates ie. Tommy Dinsdale, Harry Nutten, Charlie Sedgewick, Willie Main, Jimmy Torrie etc. I believe from Wully, Jim Mac Donald is still enjoying fishing on the Thurso Rver at Halkirk !!
Billy
Hi Billy.
I think Archie was 3rd.at the time.Saw his photo on the Ben Line Reunion site.I often wonder myself where these blokes have all gone but we must remember every year we get older so do they.Hows that for a thought.Anyway the only one I know about is Jimmy Torrie,he is or was on the Haconsay.I saw that Chippy Thom passed away about 3 month ago and my neighbour Ian Ralph passed away last July. Little Roddy MacSween retired from Macbraynes a couple of year ago.I was in Leith drydock a few year back and we did guided pub tours,I was the guide,but didn,t see any sign of any ex Ben line.Charlie McNair and co.I sometimes see Willie Wood Ab ex Benlawers and Davie(Ashley)Goodbrand,he sold the boat and the hotel and retired.We could do with some of the old school on this Dive boat I am on as very few have a clue.Mind you we have a good Orcadian aboard.
Ask Wully if Jimmy Mac sells his fish on the bone or filleted.The invoices were all for filleted fish but on the bone supplied.(cheaper)
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Electrician
Active: 1967 - 1990

regards the benreoch incident the 3rd eng.on the controls was frank? who was quite proud of his reputation as " the man that broke the pier at yokohama" sailed with him on the rinnes or nevis(built 1944) where he was extra 2nd eng. sailing on these two ships was enough punishment for anybody
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:17

My location
Hi John,I wonder if that is the same Charlie Mcnair that i sailed with on the Benvenue,think he came from the Granton area or Leith,he was second cook/baker aboard the Venue when i was there Nov.64 to March 65.
Wully
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:31

Hi Wully.Another stalworth from that era,and also from Granton was Willie Cowie [bosun] We had just paid off,I had reached the dizzy hight of SOS,any rank that had senior in it must have been something.However on the train north it was decided that nothing better than the bosun was going to haul me to Granton and get me in for my EDH the next morning.We arrived at his house,bags thrown in a corner,kiss and a cuddle for the female in the house,and "right were off down the pub".Needless to say after the carry out on the train,and another bucket in his local I dont remember much of my stopover in Granton.Woke up next morning on the sitting room carpet,crawled down for the EDH ticket,which I did get.Train north to Aberdeen,then west to Inverness and Mallaig And the RMS Loch Seaforth to Sy Dont think I ever came across the bosun after that.Great guy,had a heart as broad as himself.Great memories of happy times
Cheers
Roddy
Old 4th May 2007, 01:12

Quote:
Hi John,I wonder if that is the same Charlie Mcnair that i sailed with on the Benvenue,think he came from the Granton area or Leith,he was second cook/baker aboard the Venue when i was there Nov.64 to March 65.
Wully
That was just before I joined the Venue,I think that 2nd cook could have been Charlie Brander.Charlie McNair was a little stocky AB from Leith area age now about 63/64(same as myself).There was a right team when I joined her. Tommy Mackay was Bosun.Murdo Buchanan,Chippy. Frankie Davidson.George? Geddes.then there was a George from Whitehills area.Dick Mitchell and Magnus ? from Shetland. Bob McPhee had a whale of a time in the sailors alleyway.Suez Canal New Years Eve. Bob with the fists flying.instead of the log book.It was my first trip as a Ben line steward.lasted till the end of Ben line.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:18

My location
Yes John Tommy Mackay was the bosun when i was there and Bob McPhee was the skipper,she was a happy ship John,she was the first Ben-boat that i was on.No old Bob did'nt believe to much in the log book,but if you were lucky enough!!lol to go in front of him,it was worse than the log book,he never minced his words did he.Sorry John the memory has let me down on the rest of the names,it is strange sometimes when you can remember some names and other ones are blank,just put it down to the age eh.Did Charlie McNair ever go to the trawling out of Granton,his name certainly rings a bell with me.
Wully
Old 4th May 2007, 13:29

My location
Sorry Roddy,i clicked on John's posting first,yes that is about the same escaspade that i had myself when i paid of the Venue,but it was Aberdeen that i went to,stayed in the sailor's home in Mearn St.I don't think i was very clever looking walking down to Mercantile office that morning,but managed to get the slip of paper and got the first train north,well you will know the rest!!
Wully.
Old 4th May 2007, 18:38

Charlie McNair

Quote:
Yes John Tommy Mackay was the bosun when i was there and Bob McPhee was the skipper,she was a happy ship John,she was the first Ben-boat that i was on.No old Bob did'nt believe to much in the log book,but if you were lucky enough!!lol to go in front of him,it was worse than the log book,he never minced his words did he.Sorry John the memory has let me down on the rest of the names,it is strange sometimes when you can remember some names and other ones are blank,just put it down to the age eh.Did Charlie McNair ever go to the trawling out of Granton,his name certainly rings a bell with me.
Wully
Aye Wully.
Something rings a bell about Charlie McNair going to the trawling.I think he lived up near Pilrig St. /Balfour St.in Leith as he used to talk about the bars in the area.I checked out a few of them but no signs. also heard he was a storeman in Jenners but it was too posh for me to enter the door.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:14

Recall sailing out of Kobe (I think) for Hong Kong around 66/67 onboard 'Priam' at the same time as 'Benledi' . Somewhat of a race ensued. Can anyone (honestly!!!) remember the outcome??
Old 29th February 2008, 17:47

hello john, one of my favourite laughs with charlie McNair was when he and calum macintyre came aboard one of the box boats in hamburg and put barney&angus macleod,donny macvicar,davie petersen, john mckinnon on the shake with a gallon bottle of whisky.the following day the skipper of the grey fighter/hunter? sent a taxi to pick them up after finding out they were crashed out in the bar.
Old 28th May 2009, 16:15

Benlomond, my father's second home?

Hi I am new from hong kong. My father had been a seaman for over 40 year , he passed away three years ago. I got the "Red Book" Discharge book from my mother and I checked it out these days... since I was I little child I had heard father talking about the Benlomond, I check the red book and find that my father was there from 4 aug 1960 till 14 oct 1977, before is BENLEDI and after is BENSTAC,my father's rating is asst. steward and his name is Poon Mo, are we talking the same ship? I seldom saw my father when I was teen and now i am a father of two , want to know more about him....
Old 29th May 2009, 15:47
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
Hi Jimmi,
I did three voyages on the Benlomond from June 1974 until October 1975 as 4th.Engineer and 3rd.Engineer. I remember your father well.The last trip I did there I had my new wife with me, which was something new for junior officers at that time. Don't think your father liked the fact the 'junior officers' had wives on board and like all the stewards, did not like serving them.It was just a case of changing times I'm afraid and the begining of the end of an era-wish being at sea was like it now though!
Paul

EDit:- Remember a few other crew members that were there at the time,perhaps you know of them and it would be interesting to know what happened to them,although some will have passed away long ago: Ho Ming (#1 Oiler, Lam Kam Tong (Donkeyman), Chan Lam (we called him Zooney-Donkeyman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiepoon View Post
Hi I am new from hong kong. My father had been a seaman for over 40 year , he passed away three years ago. I got the "Red Book" Discharge book from my mother and I checked it out these days... since I was I little child I had heard father talking about the Benlomond, I check the red book and find that my father was there from 4 aug 1960 till 14 oct 1977, before is BENLEDI and after is BENSTAC,my father's rating is asst. steward and his name is Poon Mo, are we talking the same ship? I seldom saw my father when I was teen and now i am a father of two , want to know more about him....

Last edited by Paul Barford : 30th May 2009 at 11:00. Reason: additional info
Old 31st May 2009, 13:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Hi Jimmi,
I knew your father reasonably well having spent seven voyages and two coasts on the Benlomond between 1970 and 1973, mainly getting everything ready for Paul Barford :-)
She had a very good crew including the catering crew who were supervised by Chan Po, not sure of the spelling. As far as I was concerned and can remember she was a good feeder.
I can understand you not seeing much of your father as we did not always visit Hong Kong every trip. I can remember that the engine-room crew had to supply their own reliefs when we did so I would imagine that the catering crew were the same. Not ideal I know but that was how it was in those days which we now look on as "the good old days".
Regards-Ali. Bain.
Old 5th June 2009, 22:21

Jimmi.
As far as I can remember the deck painters would get the time we were in HK both outward and homeward off.But if they wanted the time we were on the Japan coast off,they had to get a replacement at their own expense.Not a very good arrangement.I suppose all departments worked on the same articles.

Regards Roddy.
Old 12th July 2009, 20:45

Thumbs up davy thomson.

sailed on the lomond 16th mar 65 to 8th july 65 coast & voyage.so must have sailed with your father.I only remember that all the catering crew were first class and the bosun was an english guy who didnt like me &I didnt like him as I was a headstrong wee J O S who thought I knew it all.Hope you get more info. I can understand your father staying so long with the Benline as it was a great company to sail with back then.All the best in your search. Davy Thomson.