Gatx Oswego Uk - Ships Nostalgia
00:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gatx Oswego Uk

Old 13th May 2007, 13:42

My location
Gatx Oswego Uk

I would to hear from anyone who served on these unusual ships.

Bob Preston
Old 18th June 2007, 09:02
suspended

I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Castleton in the early 80's. 1980/1 if I remember rightly.
Peter
Old 20th June 2007, 19:00

My location
We must have sailed together. !980/81 I was 3rd Eng. Peter Sutton was old man Tom Makepeace ChEng. We were all made redundant 31st Jan. after pay off in Ras Tannura.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:28
suspended

I think we did. Peter Sutton was relieved by a Welsh bloke whose name escapes me, apart from "Dai". I paid off in drydock in Rotterdam. The Chief got unspeakably drunk at Christmas. literally, in that he couldn't speak intelligibly! Good ship, of which I have fond memories. Even as I speak I can see my Skyfotos picture of her. I have 2 pictures onm the wall at my place of work, my first ship and the biggest.
Peter
Old 31st July 2007, 02:06

I joined the Castleton First trip catering boy at 16 in Oct 1974 I have some good memories from then I was also on the Carnegie and the casterbridge after that as well they were good ships a good start to my life in the merchant navy Ian Butler
Old 1st August 2007, 10:54
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Yesterday I posted a pic of OSWEGO GUARDIAN, in the Shipping Accidents gallery, being repaired after her collision with TEXANITA of Cape Agulhas in 1972 - is this the same Oswego ?

Cheers

Andy
Old 23rd March 2008, 13:16

I Was On Bideford Maiden Voyage 1969
She Became Camden Idone 6mouth & 7 Moouths
With 12 Month Gape Any Pic
Chicago
Old 25th April 2008, 15:43

Hi,

Third Officer from 1974 to 1980 on Castleton, Cadwallader, Casterbridge, Camden, Carnegie then Eloseid.

Great finding this site.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
...... Peter Sutton was relieved by a Welsh bloke whose name escapes me, apart from "Dai". .....
Dai Reece *Rees" I think is the name you're looking for.
Old 25th April 2008, 15:45

My location
Welcome to the crew, Bob.
I assume the duplicate was a slip of the finger so I've deleted it.
Enjoy the trip.
Old 27th April 2008, 00:05
suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
Hi,

Third Officer from 1974 to 1980 on Castleton, Cadwallader, Casterbridge, Camden, Carnegie then Eloseid.

Great finding this site.

Bob

That's the one. So obvious really! I last heard from him, literally, going the straits of Gibraltar, only I can't remember which ships either of us were on. I was on watch and recognised his voice on the VHF. We had a chat then passed as ships in the night.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:20

Gatx Oswego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
That's the one. So obvious really! I last heard from him, literally, going the straits of Gibraltar, only I can't remember which ships either of us were on. I was on watch and recognised his voice on the VHF. We had a chat then passed as ships in the night.

Hi all.

I sailed with Gatx Oswego Too.

I joined them when they were still Blandford Shipping Company.
I Joined the Bedford as Chief Cook. Then I went to the Bamford.
Left the Bamford to join the Bulford as Chief Steward. Then went to the Boxford also as Chief Steward. During my time on the Boxford the company was taken over by Gatx Oswego and the Boxford became the Castleton.

Then I went to the Casterbridge which had a boiler collapse so we ended up in Blohm & Voss drydock in Hamburg for three months at which time I was transfered to the Castleton again. That was my last trip with the company as I joined Reardon Smith Line as Chief Steward/Catering Officer.

I had some good times on the tankers.

A few names spin to mind.

Captain Goodison Terry Took Chief Mate then Captain. Chief Steward Graham "Half a Kipper" Lloyd and Eric Reahead, 2nd. Officer to name but a few.
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:59

Bulford/Casterbridge

Hi Guys,
That brings back a few memories. I was 2nd eng on Bulford/Casterbridge when we had all the boiler problems in 1972/73.
Old George Johnson was Chief along with Tom Makepiece and another guy whose name escapes me but he was ex RN and this was his first job out of the services. He sure got a good intro. Henry was the 3rd eng that decided to put the evap drain to cond and unknown to us we were pumping s/w into the feed water all night. Got to know the insides of superheaters real quick after that.
Had a couple of real hard case 3rd engs Ross Ramsay and Johnny Lochart(I think) A couple of mad scotsmen who liked the odd dram or 3. A good bunch to sail with.
Apart from a trip on QM2 last year have not been back since although have done a lot of sailing and powerboating and still own a 13m launch which gets good use as I live in New Zealand
Paul Cooper (Kiwi)
Old 13th October 2008, 23:11

Missed out my name (a senior moment!!), cheers, Bill Sutherland

Hi Guys, Specially Paul,
I sailed on the Bideford in 1972 as R/O, then after I got married (Joan) and myself joined Oct 72 thru to Feb 73.
I had previously sailed on Bideford 1971/72 saving cash to get married. Sailed with an equally nuts Leckie Paul Cooper. Remember delivering the Bonsai trees at Finart? Paul, you were saving up for a Lotus ?? I've forgotten the name, and we met up again at the nautical college in South Shields, and yep you had the Lotus. Hope you are doing well, living in Kiwi??
When wife was onboard, she got her first swimming lesson from Johnnie Lochart on xmas day 1972, she still has the nightmares!!
Had some great times on these unique "T -Pee" tankers, everything got smaller the higher up the tower you went, thank christ I was on tank level!!,

Last edited by morserules.ok : 14th October 2008 at 11:54. Reason: Add name
Old 16th March 2009, 01:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Preston View Post
I would to hear from anyone who served on these unusual ships.

Bob Preston
I sailed on ELOISEID jul 76 as ck/stwd but didnt stay she hit a bridge in dordrect and ripped out her bridge wing
Old 13th July 2009, 16:56

Hi Bob - Just came across this site, very interesting, think I sailed with you on Carnegie I was the R/O
Regards
Tom Dwyer
Old 15th July 2009, 21:11

Hi All

Sailed on Camden as 3/0 Feb-Aug 77 travelling very slowly from Bonaire to Turkey via Iraq. Then spent Silver Jubilee alongside the detached mole in Gibraltar after our "mechanical problems".
Followed up with the Carnegie between South Riding Point and Nigeria
Best wishes to all fellow travellers
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dwyer View Post
Hi Bob - Just came across this site, very interesting, think I sailed with you on Carnegie I was the R/O
Regards
Tom Dwyer
spike stokes,gp,i sailed with you on gatx,good ships and good crowd,always plenty of laughs,remeber rolly sartin,cat/dept,he died about 4 years ago cancer,live in yovil,spike.
Old 4th October 2009, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspud View Post
Sailed on Camden as 3/0 Feb-Aug 77 travelling very slowly from Bonaire to Turkey via Iraq. Then spent Silver Jubilee alongside the detached mole in Gibraltar after our "mechanical problems".
I was a soldier at the time in Gibraltar.....I remember looking at Camden often, it's 'Lighthouse' block stood out.
I never thought I'd end up being a steward on it a couple of years later!
I joined it at anchor of Kharg Island and stayed at anchor for weeks and weeks....I couldn''t wait to get off the Cockroach infested thing.
The 'Armadale' that followed was the ship that showed me the world.

Last edited by Seawitch Artist : 4th October 2009 at 19:29.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:23

Hi Spike, Yes remember sailing with you on the Gatx crusies! Not been on this site for a while. George Higgins was the other steward and John Hale the C/Off. How are you keeping?
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:58

Goodness! This is a blast from the past. I was deck officer for a couple of trips on the Castleton, a relief on the Cadogan (Teeside/Flotta and Norway) and an epic four month trip on the Carnegie from the Bahamas to Brunei Bay where all we carried was ballast water. Happy days!

Sandy
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
Hi,

Great finding this site.

Bob

Hello !. Good to hear from you Bob.

Many a pint or bottle[s] of 'Nederburg Grand Premier Cabernet Sauvignon' we shared at 4am after coming off watch.

Archie.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cooper View Post
Hi Guys,
That brings back a few memories. I was 2nd eng on Bulford/Casterbridge when we had all the boiler problems in 1972/73.
Old George Johnson was Chief along with Tom Makepiece and another guy whose name escapes me but he was ex RN and this was his first job out of the services. He sure got a good intro. Henry was the 3rd eng that decided to put the evap drain to cond and unknown to us we were pumping s/w into the feed water all night. Got to know the insides of superheaters real quick after that.
Had a couple of real hard case 3rd engs Ross Ramsay and Johnny Lochart(I think) A couple of mad scotsmen who liked the odd dram or 3. A good bunch to sail with.
Apart from a trip on QM2 last year have not been back since although have done a lot of sailing and powerboating and still own a 13m launch which gets good use as I live in New Zealand
Paul Cooper (Kiwi)
Worked the engine room with both Ross and John.

Fair to say both enjoyed 'a dram'.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dwyer View Post
Regards
Tom Dwyer
Yep. I recall you well Tom.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:54

Hi Bob yes good to hear from you also - how are you keeping? The Gatx responses seem to be growing!! Good to hear from people again.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:07

Hi Paul you must have sailed with Jimmy Bone (Lecky) or John Atkinson (Lecky). I remember Ross Ramsey & Johnny Lockhart very well. Was Capt Milligan the OM or Pete Davidson? Jeff Moon was 3/0, Gerry Penguilly(?) was C/Off. Lenny Springett was 2/Eng.