Western Geophysical - Ships Nostalgia
20:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Western Geophysical

Old 31st May 2007, 22:06

Western Geophysical

Can anyone point me in the right direction for details/photos of the geophysical survey vessels operated by Western Geophysical in the 80s and 90s. All believed to be to be named "Western_______" and possibly ex deep sea sterntrawlers. Particularly looking for "Western African" and "Western Seas".
Steve
Old 31st May 2007, 22:55
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Steve,

There is a photograph here (scroll down) of WESTERN HERCULES following her sale in 2000.

I would think that Gdynia may be able to help you with photographs of WESTERN AFRICAN and WESTERN SEAS.
Old 26th July 2008, 17:24

Steve;
being an ex-Western's hand I am also interested in trying to get some photos of: "Western Odyssey"(I was aboard as ch'officer / master in 88/89/90) also; "Western Orient" (aboard as ch'officer / master 90 /91).
I was based S'pore 1987/1991 with Westerns.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:53

Cool Western African

Served as Second Engneer on it around 1980 from North Sea to Galway to Cork.
Unfortunate little vessel, stern trawler (I think North American East coast built) poorly converted to survey work and rolling around North Sea and Atlantic with a great big crack in its main deck.
Unfortunately I have no photos.
Old 19th July 2010, 06:47
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Steve

Do a google search with western geco if the vessels you want are not there send them a email from their webpage they are very helpfull in sending back info
Old 18th December 2011, 02:31
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1982

Western Geophysical Research Vessels

Photos of the following Western Geophysical Research Vessels are given at http://tdbconsulting.org/PhotoVideo.htm:
Kirsten Bravo
Olga Bravo
Western Horizon

Enjoy,
Tim Ball
TDB Consulting
Web: TDBConsulting.org
Email: TDBConsulting@aol.com
Old 21st December 2011, 19:22

What did this Company House Flag look like and did they also employ former US Navy craft in the early day's of North Sea Oil Surveying?

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 16th June 2012, 20:31
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Electrician
Active: 1981 - 1992

Joined as a Seismic Observer in my early 20's and started from 1981 (on the Western Atlantic), Western Artic ( the Welshman, Graeme..I forgot his name was a great guy)then transferred to the Western Europa in 1983. Serving mainly in the European, African and Middle Eastern Operations based from London. Some of my best, wildest and happiest times were on the boats and in port and getting drunk with fellow crew members, such as Graeme Bonniwell, Jim McMahon, Neil and lots and lots of others. Paul Loughran was also a Pal of mine whom I met on the Western Ocean and Steve Masters. Some great guys who some great personalities. I wonder where all these people are now. Also in the 1989 I joined the Western Atlantic again which was now exploring in Brazil, with some great American guys. I left in 1992 when I left the company whilst on the Western... (the name escapes me).

I know live in Sydney, Australia and work for IBM
Old 16th June 2012, 20:39

Did Western at one time own a vessel called "Texan" which was working in the North Sea doing survey work pre drilling?

Old 17th June 2012, 10:21

Texan

Hmm not sure, they may have done in the USA. Usually all the ships were named Western ..somthing

larry
Old 17th June 2012, 11:09

Thank's Larry, I am still trying to trace an American? company that used ex American WW2 Navy vessel's in the North Sea for seismic survey's to find the oil field's before the oil boom started. The badge on the side of their vessel's was the Earth with satellite's tracking around it.

Old 29th June 2012, 10:12
Active: 1968 - 1974

mikekennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hodges View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction for details/photos of the geophysical survey vessels operated by Western Geophysical in the 80s and 90s. All believed to be to be named "Western_______" and possibly ex deep sea sterntrawlers. Particularly looking for "Western African" and "Western Seas".
Steve
worked on the Bayou Chico off New Guinea New Zealand and Indonesia in the late 60s and early 70s our supply ship was the Western Springs and was in melbourne when the Western 1 caught fire and sunk while loading liquid oxygen have some pictures around somewhere will try to dig them out
Old 29th June 2012, 10:24
Active: 1968 - 1974

mikekennedy

i worked on the siezmic crew on the Bayou Chico working off New Guinea New Zealand and Indonesia in the late 60s and early 70s that was when the Western 1[I think] caught fire while loading liquid oxygen in Melbourne They towed it out of the harbour where it burnt out and sunk I think it was the first boat to use liquid oxygen we used oxygen in cylinders
Old 29th June 2012, 10:39
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Western Spruce, she caught fire in Welshpool, Gippsland......nasty business... more here http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1098,4104637
Old 29th June 2012, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekennedy View Post
i worked on the siezmic crew on the Bayou Chico working off New Guinea New Zealand and Indonesia in the late 60s and early 70s that was when the Western 1[I think] caught fire while loading liquid oxygen in Melbourne They towed it out of the harbour where it burnt out and sunk I think it was the first boat to use liquid oxygen we used oxygen in cylinders
Mike, did they also run some ex American Navy craft out there for survey work? Regard's.

Old 6th October 2012, 19:54

Western Pacific

Hello all, ran into this site on a search. Im retired Senior observer for GSI, Geosource-Petty Ray, worked with Geco, PSI and Western. I rode the "Western Pacific" in S. Korea. Man did i enjoy the dry dock in Pusan. I think they dismantled and sold the W. Pacific? anybody know? Also worked for PSI in the gulf mexico which was a spin off of Geco, Chinese ship..the Discover,where i was with LCT gravity and mag. Any comments are welcome, great to be here. Slap
Old 24th October 2012, 14:07
Active: 1966 - 1969

Western Spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekennedy View Post
Western Spruce exploded May22nd 1969 Port Welshpool Victoria I was crew on her at the time.
Old 8th November 2012, 22:22
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1985 - 1987

Hi Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry Murphy View Post
Joined as a Seismic Observer in my early 20's and started from 1981 (on the Western Atlantic), Western Artic ( the Welshman, Graeme..I forgot his name was a great guy)then transferred to the Western Europa in 1983. Serving mainly in the European, African and Middle Eastern Operations based from London. Some of my best, wildest and happiest times were on the boats and in port and getting drunk with fellow crew members, such as Graeme Bonniwell, Jim McMahon, Neil and lots and lots of others. Paul Loughran was also a Pal of mine whom I met on the Western Ocean and Steve Masters. Some great guys who some great personalities. I wonder where all these people are now. Also in the 1989 I joined the Western Atlantic again which was now exploring in Brazil, with some great American guys. I left in 1992 when I left the company whilst on the Western... (the name escapes me).

I know live in Sydney, Australia and work for IBM
Hi Larry, I worked with you on the 'Ocean' in 86/87, I remember you allways trying to learn Spanish and with a highly infectious laugh, and sunbathing at every opportunity!
I worked on the Ocean, Voyager and another that was parked off Abu Dhabi but the name escapes me - great times!
Old 8th August 2013, 07:41

Hi Jon,
Yes Of course I remember you! We had great times on the Western Ocean, in Somalia and Middle East. I still have that infectious laugh hahaha. When I come to the UK, hopefully next year we can meet up for sure. Keep in touch. Your mate Larry larrymur@exemail.com.au.
------
Would be great if other Seismic crew members got in touch. See ya
take care Larry
Old 8th August 2013, 16:37

Did any members work for a Company whose badge was the Earth with a Satellite tracking around it

Old 8th August 2013, 17:15

I have posted a photo of Western Tempest in Special Purpose Vessels catagory.
Old 23rd August 2013, 21:04
Active: 1972 - 1978

Wow !!

Just bumped into this thread while searching for information on the Western Shoal and Western Endeavour vessels in a nostalgic moment !

Is anyone listening who served on these or other western fleet vessels around 1975 to 1978 in Asia or South America ?

I was also on the Western (?) for a survey in the Fly river in New Guinea. Any of my old mates out there ?? Huey, Big John, Bob :-) :-)

Great times !! All the best, Peter Moore.

Ahh .. Just remembered the Oily Creek .. Supply vessel we sailed from Singapore to Port Moresby .. chipping paint the whole journey :-)

Last edited by Peter_moore : 23rd August 2013 at 21:22.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:18
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1982

Photos of the Western Geophysical Research Vessels Kirsten Bravo, Olga Bravo, and Western Horizon are provided at the links below:
http://tdbconsulting.org/KirstenBravo/
http://tdbconsulting.org/OlgaBravo/
http://tdbconsulting.org/WesternHorizon/

Thank you,
Tim Ball
TDB Consulting
Web: http://TDBConsulting.org/
Email: TDBConsulting@aol.com
Old 5th April 2014, 18:15
Active: 1979 - Present

I was on the Olga Bravo for 6 months in 1979
Old 5th April 2014, 18:16