Tewkesbury - Ships Nostalgia
16:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Tewkesbury

Old 9th June 2007, 02:41

hi TONGA,
I sailed on the Tewkesbury from May 68 to feb 69 as a engineer the chief eng was Harry Poulson and Captain Ross. I would appreciate a photo of her if anyone has one.
cheers Jack todd
Old 9th June 2007, 08:43

My location
Hi Jack,

I do not own a good photograph of Tewkesbury, but I think I can find one to scan - so please give me time and I'll try to oblige.

Regards
Mark

ps I have added it here

Last edited by non descript : 27th November 2008 at 10:57. Reason: changed the colour of the link from yellow to blue
Old 10th June 2007, 06:27

Hi TONGA,
Thanks mate the photo "Tewkesbury" brings back a lot of memories, the time we had xmas at sea early, i can't recall the cause of the problem but we had to open up the main engine two day's out of new york when we did it was like a xmas tree and a snowy night, white metal everywhere we did 3 mains two crosshead and 4 conrod bearings what a job and a half, good old day's !!!
Old 10th June 2007, 20:23

My location
Jack, I can remember joining Tewkesbury in New York when she was on a charter to Mitsui - we sailed south to Tampa and loaded phosphate and then on through the Panama Canal, stopping off on the West Coast of Mexico to load cotton and carbon black (an odd mix). A tough ship but character building.
Old 14th June 2007, 21:46

My location
Jack,

As the comments were all about Tewkesbury I thought I would split the thread and have your ship with its own thread.
Old 6th July 2007, 17:40

Hi Chaps,
I was on the old tub Tewkesbury from march '69 to august '69 as a junior engineer.
We did liverpool to the persian gulf then back to s.africa then to europe.
never did get a picture of her. Thanks Tonga, I can now show my family.
Cheers,
Richard

Last edited by RickB : 6th July 2007 at 17:57.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:02

My location
Hi Richard, a warm welcome to you - enjoy the site, there's lots of quality stuff to enjoy and we look forward to your postings. As you say, Tewkesbury was a good old ship, not quite designed for trips to the Arabian Gulf and really more suited to the gentle voyage to Buenos Aires.
Old 14th July 2007, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Hi Chaps,
I was on the old tub Tewkesbury from march '69 to august '69 as a junior engineer.
We did liverpool to the persian gulf then back to s.africa then to europe.
never did get a picture of her. Thanks Tonga, I can now show my family.
Cheers,
Richard
Rick,
I think I was 3rd mate on the Tewkesbury on the trip Uk to the Persian Gulf, I seem to remember it was a Strict Ellerman charter and spending xmas day alongside in Kuwait. Over the last few days I have posted several pictures of the "Old Tub". Certanly all the staff you mention were there when I was
Old 14th July 2007, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordielad View Post
hi TONGA,
I sailed on the Tewkesbury from May 68 to feb 69 as a engineer the chief eng was Harry Poulson and Captain Ross. I would appreciate a photo of her if anyone has one.
cheers Jack todd
Jack,
I have posted several pics of the Tewkesbury over the last couple of days. We must have sailed together I was there a long time as both deck apprentice and 3rd Mate. Have also put a picture up of the 1st mate perhaps you can help out
Mel
Old 14th July 2007, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
Jack, I can remember joining Tewkesbury in New York when she was on a charter to Mitsui - we sailed south to Tampa and loaded phosphate and then on through the Panama Canal, stopping off on the West Coast of Mexico to load cotton and carbon black (an odd mix). A tough ship but character building.
I left the Tewkesbury at New york on this occasion whilst on that Mitsui charter, we had been away for about 10 months and not returned to the UK I was 3rd mate. Most of the time we were trading between Japan and the West coast of the states and Canada
Old 14th July 2007, 22:08

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Bowen View Post
I left the Tewkesbury at New york on this occasion whilst on that Mitsui charter, we had been away for about 10 months and not returned to the UK I was 3rd mate. Most of the time we were trading between Japan and the West coast of the states and Canada
Then as you went down the gangway (leaving that bright orange Mitsui funnel behind) I was going up the gangway. - She was discharging about 2 million broom handles from Indonesia...
Old 14th July 2007, 22:26

Quote:
Then as you went down the gangway (leaving that bright orange Mitsui funnel behind) I was going up the gangway. - She was discharging about 2 million broom handles from Indonesia...
Now that you mention it, I remember it well you are dead right, we had loaded them in Sarawack, Borneo, sailing up a long jungle creek to a small wharf. Well remembered!
Old 14th July 2007, 22:30

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I remember it well you are dead right, we had loaded them in Sarawack, Borneo, sailing up a long jungle creek to a small wharf. Well remembered!
Thinking even harder, the wharf was at a place called Tangon Mani ( not sure about spelling, I also remember flying to Heathrow on the same chartered plane you had come out on, all to ourselves
Old 14th July 2007, 22:31

My location
Quote:
Thinking even harder, the wharf was at a place called Tangon Mani ( not sure about spelling, I also remember flying to Heathrow on the same chartered plane you had come out on, all to ourselves
A Boeing 707

The port in Borneo is/was Tanjung Manis 2.09 N 111.21 E

Last edited by non descript : 14th July 2007 at 22:35.
Old 4th October 2007, 10:33

Tewkesbury

I join the discussion late, but...
Tewkesbury was my first ship as J/E.March 66. What an intro to the sea. Ross & Poulson were resident then. Liverpool - River Plate, traditional Houlder trip. Jackie Scotland was 2nd, very fond memories.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barnard View Post
I join the discussion late, but...
Tewkesbury was my first ship as J/E.March 66. What an intro to the sea. Ross & Poulson were resident then. Liverpool - River Plate, traditional Houlder trip. Jackie Scotland was 2nd, very fond memories.
Mike
She was far better suited to the Liverpool - River Plate run, than the arduous North Pacific route that she had to endure in 1967-68; frankly miserable sea conditions that she was not built to cope with.

Mark
Old 24th December 2007, 17:22

Tewkesbury

I'm joining in a liitle late here. I was apprentice on the Tewkesbury from March '70 until February '71 and had a great time. First trip Kiwi and Aussie, destroyed the thrust block coming out of Townsville with sugar spent a lot of time at Thursday Island doing repairs. The OLd Man was Charlesworth. Back to the uK and then Poland to load coal for Chittagong (then East Pakistan), from there Aussie to load grain for Karachi but were diverted back to Chittagong following the flood of late '70. Grain became famine relief. On to Bombay to laod ore for Ghent and then paid off in London. Old man this time was Vic Owen "replaced" in Oz by Kenny Walker the Super and then Pete Charman turned up all very interesting. Oh happy days

Chadders
Old 24th December 2007, 19:31

My location
Chadders,
My goodness, if only we had known about these dreadful times you had just endured, when we found you later on as an innocent on board Ocean Transport in 1971, we would have been so hard on you...
As you say, happy days.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:41

Tewkesbury

Recently watched the film A Taste of Honey the film was shot in 1961 and set around Salford / Manchester and the docks, in the background was a ship named Tewkesbury is this the ship this forum is talking about?
Old 27th November 2008, 10:56

My location
Tewkesbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieflintstonr View Post
Recently watched the film A Taste of Honey the film was shot in 1961 and set around Salford / Manchester and the docks, in the background was a ship named Tewkesbury is this the ship this forum is talking about?
I was not aware that she was the background of the film, but the date would fit (she was built 2 years before, in 1959) and the name was unique. It she looked like this, then it was the one.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:27

Tewkesbury

In the film it only showed the bow with the name, a Manchester Liners ship was the main vessel used in the film, the film was set in a Salford that I remember very well, showing the Barton Aqueduct and Road Bridge, quite nostalgic and worth a look if you ever get chance.

Quote:
I was not aware that she was the background of the film, but the date would fit (she was built 2 years before, in 1959) and the name was unique. It she looked like this, then it was the one.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieflintstonr View Post
In the film it only showed the bow with the name, a Manchester Liners ship was the main vessel used in the film, the film was set in a Salford that I remember very well, showing the Barton Aqueduct and Road Bridge, quite nostalgic and worth a look if you ever get chance.
I see the best comments and stills from the film are here
Old 16th December 2008, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadders View Post
I'm joining in a liitle late here. I was apprentice on the Tewkesbury from March '70 until February '71 and had a great time. First trip Kiwi and Aussie, destroyed the thrust block coming out of Townsville with sugar spent a lot of time at Thursday Island doing repairs. The OLd Man was Charlesworth. Back to the uK and then Poland to load coal for Chittagong (then East Pakistan), from there Aussie to load grain for Karachi but were diverted back to Chittagong following the flood of late '70. Grain became famine relief. On to Bombay to laod ore for Ghent and then paid off in London. Old man this time was Vic Owen "replaced" in Oz by Kenny Walker the Super and then Pete Charman turned up all very interesting. Oh happy days

Chadders
My first trip to sea was aboard the the Tewkesbury as a Catering Boy. Joined at Tilbury on the 18th of August 1970 and signed off on in London on the 12th of February 71(as per my Discharge Book) As i recall Christmas 70 was spent in Bombay and as i was the youngest person aboard i had the privilege of ringing in the New Year on the ships Siren, the Carpenter/Shipwright ringing out the Old Year, this task being supervised by the Deck Cadet presumably Chadders? Whilst we were unloading at Chittagong there was talk of taking cargo to Vietnam but there were a number of complications due to the state of war there at the time and the trip never eventuated, i think mainly due to the fact that crew were only required to undertake this voyage under a voluntary basis and the rumour went round that any one not willing to go to Vietnam would be paid off and be home in time for Christmas not sure if this is correct or not.
I remember the Super coming aboard i think in Geraldton i was banned by Capt Walker from ever lifting a paintbrush on any Houlder vessels as i had attempted to paint my cabin, unfortunately not only did the Deckhead and Bulkhead receive there allotted coat of paint but all the fittings and furnishings, sink, bunk ,wardrobe, etc somehow or other ended up with more than a smidgen of paint, to this day i avoid Paint and Paint brush with a passion.After signing off in London i had two weeks leave then rejoined two weeks later in London. i also sailed on Clydebridge Sept 71 to Mar 72 then Ocean Transport with Capt Fowler and C/O Thompson from May 72 until Aug 73

Willmac
Old 8th April 2010, 15:02

Gentlemen, can anyone furnish details as to my uncle(never met) Chief Eng Harry Poulson - good or bad(!), the time he served on the Tewkesbury and other ships?? Voyages? - or can you point me in the right direction? Any photos? As you can guess I know nothing about him and am trying to find the family. I did hear that he contacted my father in Hong Kong in 1963(?). Any reply would be very gratefully received!!
Old 8th April 2010, 15:50

My location
I remember him as a particularly kind and pleasant man. To be honest I cannot remember which ship it was that we sailed on together, maybe it was the Tewkesbury?