Blue Funnel Photographs. - Ships Nostalgia
15:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Funnel Photographs.

Old 15th March 2005, 18:05

Exclamation Blue Funnel Photographs.

undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.

Last edited by Capt.John Bax. Ret. : 15th March 2005 at 18:08.
Old 15th March 2005, 18:21

My location
Welcome aboard, Captain. Photographs are always well received here, so post away!
Personally, I'm interested in the PRIAM class, as two of them ended up out here running for China Navigation as KWEICHOW and KWANGSI.
Old 15th March 2005, 18:26

OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.
Old 15th March 2005, 18:56

My location
Welcome from Italy Capt.John, any type of merchant ships are good for the site as you can see !!!!!-
Gp
Old 15th March 2005, 19:06

I echo all that.Welcome indeed to Ships Nostalgia and look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 16th March 2005, 03:47

Welcome to the site, hope that you enjoy it. We are always happy to see more pictures so post away with a vengeance. We look forward to your input.
Doug
Old 17th March 2005, 22:54

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bax. Retd.
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

funnel on the wrong end? john what about "centaur" ha ha!!! you can't escape the "ferret"!!!!!
Old 18th March 2005, 15:56

Hello.

Re CENTAUR, she was special, the others, before our time my friend (The Good Times.) Am going to put one of "Our" HECTOR up soon. The one at Port Melbourne.

Maybe someone out here knows where we can find a picture of JALAWAR and NORTH STAR. The first vessels of the what became Clan Line.Welcome aboard FERRET. We been together a long time, got to keep the Tabnabs fresh. !!!
Old 24th March 2005, 17:05
Scaley Back

I sailed on six Blue Funnel ships between 1968 and 1972, Hector, Ixion, Perseus, Pyrrhus, Atreus, and the Priam. I also have quite a few photos of Blue funnel vessels on my website. All the Best, Tony Jones R867015.
Old 25th March 2005, 00:20

Look forward to your posting of the Hector, visited her once many many years ago, bring it on.
Old 25th March 2005, 07:13
Scaley Back

Hector

The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but that’s another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hector.jpg (41.7 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by Rhiw.com : 25th March 2005 at 07:20.
Old 3rd May 2005, 10:10

I was Senior Midshipman on HECTOR from 16-5-61 'til 21-8-61. A truly magnificent passenger/cargo liner in her time. Among many fond memories of the voyage was the Captain's farewell to the Mersey pilot...."Cheerio pilot, see you on the evening tide of 15th August". And he did,too !!! . Some ETA..Some schedualing...Some ship.!!!!
Subsequent voyages on ships of other companies operating under the same conference took 5 months minimum for the same voyage.
Old 14th June 2005, 19:06

Welcome.
Did you ever come across my cousin.Bill Boyd(engineer)from Newcastle on Tyne.Sailed mostly on the Anchises.
Old 15th December 2005, 20:11

I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.
Old 16th December 2005, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lukk
I sailed on "HECTOR"
...and here she is, but which port?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hector.JPG (52.0 KB, 470 views)
Old 16th December 2005, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400
...and here she is, but which port?

Was it Sydney ???

I remember our first port of call was Freemantle.We had just tied up alongside and finished stations when the ship lurched forward and bounced violently on the springs,breaking an 8inch headline. A ship berthing astern of us had given us a hefty clout on the starboard quarter and left its breastplate in one of the crews' toilets. A Chinese fitter ,who happened to be sitting on the throne at the time ,told the accident investigator..."That was the best raxative I've ever had in my rife"
Old 20th December 2005, 23:04

trying to find pics of laomedon ( 1 ) I have pics in bord of Laomrdon served on her 43-46 can any one help, regards John Russell.
Old 20th December 2005, 23:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy John,
Here's you LAOMEDON:
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Merch...-Fel%20050.htm
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 21st December 2005, 02:24
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )
Old 21st December 2005, 14:05

Ruud, ----Thanks For Puting Pic up, Regards John. R.
Old 21st December 2005, 14:08
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Hi Capt

The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
Old 21st December 2005, 21:54

My location
Sailed on the HECTOR

I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot
Old 28th March 2006, 21:07

Hi, sailed on the Theseus in 1962 as second trip jos. signed on birkenhead 20/08/62. signed off 06/01/63. we did the usual far east run and then back to singapore for orders. left singapore for java, then we went to brisbane newcastle sidney melbourne and finaly albany for whale oil. while berthing in albany the tug hit us very hard about the middle of the after well deck and left a whopper of a dent i remember we had to shift cargo so a cement box could be fitted sailed for aden and then the continent before going home what a brilliant trip. 4 mths - 23 days. does anybody remember the voyage. regards allan

Last edited by allan besant : 28th March 2006 at 21:22.
Old 29th March 2006, 02:07
Retired Ancient Mariner
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Hope all the spare parts are working now John and you don't ring too many alarms when going though airport security.
Now that spring is here you will be able to be about and see some traffic going through the Brockville Narrows.
Regards
Bill
Old 29th March 2006, 08:03

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )
Captain Rooney was Terence C Rooney.
Terry served his time with Gibbs of Cardiff and was later with Smiths, he was 2nd Mate of "Cornish City" on my first trip early in 1956; he was in charge of the crew party travelling via Liverpool St, Harwich to Rotterdam, a lively experience as I recall. He was later with Moss Hutch and went into nautical education. He became a promionent member of the N.I. and HCMM in S. Wales, he is now retired in Dinas Powys.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man