T.S.S. Monowai - Ships Nostalgia
12:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

T.S.S. Monowai

Old 21st June 2007, 03:39

T.S.S. Monowai

Hi,
I am currently working on a documentary and am desperatley hoping someone may have some ideas on how I could obtain some pictures (or even footage) of the Monowai departing Auckland (or at Auckland quay) around 1958-1960 before it was decommissioned. Would anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 21st June 2007, 09:30

My location
You should try the National Maritime Museum at Auckland , Museum of Wellington City and Sea and the Alexander Turnbull Library. I have posted a couple of photos of the vessel on this site.I know the Museum Of Wellington does have photos of the vessel including accommodation but they are of an earlier period of the ships career but there may well be others.They also have a short length of colour film showing the ship departing Queens Wharf at Wellington.
Regards
Emmanuel
Old 22nd June 2007, 02:39

Hi Emmanuel,
Thanks for your suggestions - I will definitly follow them up.
Cheers
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:30

Thumbs up Monowai 1959

Hi there, just found this thread while doing research on my fathers trip tp Sydney in 1958.
I have a couple of photos of the Monowai at the wharf in Auckland around sept-oct 1958 it was loading the 8 cars of the N.Z stockcar team on board for their trip to Sydney, they are colour photos 6 x 4.
I am wanting to know the exact shipping and arrival dates from Auck=Syd .
I know the N.Z team came back on the Wanganella early 1959.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:37

Hi ! Just seen your enquiry about the Monowai.. At the end of the Jap war in WW2 I was apprentice on a BRocklebank ship and tied up to buoys in Colombp harbour. The Monowai came in and tied up to buoys a short distance from alongside us. She had on board the first British POWs fro Changi jail in Singapore and we were shocked to see these skeletal figures lining the rails.
I vowed afterwards never to buy a Japanese car - but I have eventually weakened.
Incidentally I sail with Pat Pallin as an apprentice during WW2 - he was in command in the Union company and died a couple of years ago. Great chap !
Old 11th February 2009, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky88 View Post
Hi there, just found this thread while doing research on my fathers trip tp Sydney in 1958.
I have a couple of photos of the Monowai at the wharf in Auckland around sept-oct 1958 it was loading the 8 cars of the N.Z stockcar team on board for their trip to Sydney, they are colour photos 6 x 4.
I am wanting to know the exact shipping and arrival dates from Auck=Syd .
I know the N.Z team came back on the Wanganella early 1959.
I was 4th mate at that time and we sailed from Auckland on 26 September 1958 and 25 October 1958.
Old 7th March 2009, 00:46

MONOWAI - Last Pacific Island Cruise

Despite my "world travels" I have retained the following pictures taken the day of the last Pacific Islands Cruise of the TSS MONOWAI. She was at the Outer Berth Queens wharf and the full picture shot was taken from atop the USSCo building on Quay Street, Auckland.

Having been born in Auckland -- but not returned there since 1970 -- I am not sure the building still even exists!

Last edited by PETERR43 : 7th March 2009 at 00:46. Reason: spelling
Old 7th March 2009, 20:29

I suggest that you contact Des Cox at Snowbow Productions... his e-mail is info@maritime-memories.co.uk.

He is ex NZSC but has an extensive collection of cine film of very many lines. He should be able to assist you.

Dulcibella (Ian)