FAO Old TEXECO hands - Ships Nostalgia
08:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

FAO Old TEXECO hands

Old 4th July 2007, 08:24

FAO Old TEXECO hands

Anyone out there remember Ben Harley, real name is Raymond Harley but always known as Ben.

He has retired now and has still got all his wits about him. I agreed to make a post on this sight and see if anyone remembers him. I think he sailed with Texeco for many years mainly as 2nd Steward. Interested to hear from anyone.

Mick S
Old 4th July 2007, 12:26

hi to you mick i remember ben harley well i sailed with him a few times with texaco i was with him on the rotterdam and also the ghent he won a case of beer of me when southampton beat man united in the cup final i bet he still hasnt got his teeth in if i remember correctly he used to live in hamble i was either 2nd cook or chief cook when i sailed with him my nickname when i was with texaco was tube or taff say hello to him from me all the best peter
Old 4th July 2007, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter lewis View Post
hi to you mick i remember ben harley well i sailed with him a few times with texaco i was with him on the rotterdam and also the ghent he won a case of beer of me when southampton beat man united in the cup final i bet he still hasnt got his teeth in if i remember correctly he used to live in hamble i was either 2nd cook or chief cook when i sailed with him my nickname when i was with texaco was tube or taff say hello to him from me all the best peter

Pete,

Ben sends his very best. His words were "tell him i'm as big as he was when on Rotterdam".

Cheers

Mick S
Old 31st December 2012, 00:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1976 - 1990

Hi Mick and Pete
I joined the Rotterdam in January 1979, if I remember correctly it was during the oil strike of that winter. A great ship, my first trip as 2nd cook, Keith Pratton(?) was the chief cook, can't remember who 2nd Steward was though.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:48
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1999

My location
Hi Mick,

I remember Benny Harley as 2nd Steward on the Texaco Westminster in the 80s. A good consciencious guy and well remembered. Wally Warren (now sadly deceased) and Neil McArthur were the Catering Officers during that period.

Merv
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MervynHutton View Post
Hi Mick,

I remember Benny Harley as 2nd Steward on the Texaco Westminster in the 80s. A good consciencious guy and well remembered. Wally Warren (now sadly deceased) and Neil McArthur were the Catering Officers during that period.
Ben will be made up when i pass this on Mervyn. I see him regularly, he's 69 now and he's a good mate. He finished his career as a Laundryman in the RFA. The other chap further back in the thread known as "Tube" passed away a few years back. His wife posted it on this site.
Mick S
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1999

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Spear View Post
Ben will be made up when i pass this on Mervyn. I see him regularly, he's 69 now and he's a good mate. He finished his career as a Laundryman in the RFA. The other chap further back in the thread known as "Tube" passed away a few years back. His wife posted it on this site.
Mick S
Hi Mick,

Glad to hear Ben is doing OK, it doesn't seem that long ago but I am now 72 and time seems to be flying by faster and faster. Give him my best wishes when next you see him, please. I remember Tube as well on the Westminster, sad to hear of his passing. He couldn't have been very old.

Merv