Lambert Bros."Temples" - Ships Nostalgia
15:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lambert Bros."Temples"

Old 6th July 2007, 23:00

Lambert Bros."Temples"

I'm surprised that no-one has introduced Lambert Bros.I believe that they never had more than three ships at any one time.I joined the"Temple Lane"in Dundee, bound ,eventualy,for five months around Indian sub-continent coast.Crew accomodation was probably years ahead of its time,single berth for all hands,different wood panelling in every cabin.I remember a couple of American merchant seamen invited aboard for a bevvy in Culcutta and one saying to the other"Look George,real wood!"And then the inevitible"The only wood in an American ship,is the butchers' block!!She was a good ship even though the crowd complained about the grub.Yellow Peril three times a week!!
Old 6th July 2007, 23:18

Lambert Bros.

I dont know much about the Company, having only seen a couple of their ships over the years. I was surprised to come acrosso the hulk ( in fact more like half the ship) of the Greek 'Telamon' ex 'Temple Hall' in Arrecife Harbour, Lanzarotte, a couple of years ago. It appears that she has been there for quite a few years.
Rob.,
Old 6th July 2007, 23:30

My location
At the end of the 1950's they had three of their ships laid up together in the River Stour.

Peter4447
Old 7th July 2007, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnila View Post
I'm surprised that no-one has introduced Lambert Bros.I believe that they never had more than three ships at any one time.I joined the"Temple Lane"in Dundee, bound ,eventualy,for five months around Indian sub-continent coast.Crew accomodation was probably years ahead of its time,single berth for all hands,different wood panelling in every cabin.I remember a couple of American merchant seamen invited aboard for a bevvy in Culcutta and one saying to the other"Look George,real wood!"And then the inevitible"The only wood in an American ship,is the butchers' block!!She was a good ship even though the crowd complained about the grub.Yellow Peril three times a week!!
temple main temple hall temple arch would i be right kev.
Old 7th July 2007, 01:57

Lambert Brothers entered shipowning in 1879 and, with both brothers being members of the Coal Factors Society and being based in the Coal Exchange, London, they built up a fleet of coastal colliers. By 1896 a fleet of ten colliers was operated but in that year Lambert Brothers sold their coal interests and fleet to William Cory and thereafter traded deep sea tramps. The 'Temple' names came from the title of the Temple Steam Ship Company, formed in London in 1921 by Temple, Thomson & Clark, which was taken over by Lamberts in 1926. In 1928 five new tramps were delivered with 'Temple' names and the company traded through the depression without laying up any ships. In 1935 the Dornoch Shipping Company was formed in Glasgow and at the outbreak of war Lambert Brothers and its subsidiaries operated a fleet of ten tramps. Five were war losses and post-war the Dornoch Shipping Company was sold to Harrisons (Clyde) Ltd. Three ships joined the fleet in the 1950's, the Temples 'Hall', 'Lane' and 'Main' and in 1969 took delivery of the first of four bulk carriers with 'Temple' names that operated within the Scottish Ship Management fleet, the last of them being sold in 1978. The company then traded as shipping agents and may still do so.
Old 7th July 2007, 10:05

I have pics of temple lane, temple yard and temple moat non of which appear to have been mentioned
tony lear
Old 7th July 2007, 10:58

I have a record of seeing 'Temple Arch 5238/40, presumably in London,
date not recorded. Later became 'Marihora'
Also 'Temple Bar' 7000/43 Later became 'Hoping Er Shi Chi'

Mention also made in my records of 'Temple Inn' - but not actually seen.
Old 7th July 2007, 11:25

The last four ships, with Scottish Ship Management, were Temple Arch, Temple Bar, Temple Inn and Temple Hall. All four had the notorious Ruston AO engines which would have been enough to bankrupt any shipping company. All were eventually re-engined in Amsterdam with Werkspoors.

Temple Hall was bareboat chartered to British Phosphate Commissioners and had Australian crew.

Temple Bar is believed to be still running in Canada and called Algonorth - minus the cranes.

Temple Hall was converted to a pipe burying ship, renamed Sandpiper and sails under Norwegian flag in the North Sea oil business.

The other two were eventually scrapped.

Lamberts broke away from Scottish Ship Management in 1975 and the ships were managed by Whitco Marine. Management of Temple Inn was transferred to Salen in 1977 and she appears to have been the last ship owned by Lamberts.

John T.
Old 7th July 2007, 11:34
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
I posted a photo of Sandpiper its at

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...what/allfields

Algonorth is at

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...what/allfields

The other 2 vessels are in Gallery also just search with their names

Last edited by gdynia : 7th July 2007 at 12:53.
Old 7th July 2007, 23:41

You guys never fail to amaze me with the amount of information,and depth of knowledge that's freely shared"at the drop of a hat".I've learned more about Lambert Bros.in the last 24hours than I did doing a five month trip with them.Despite the "Yellow Peril"three times a week!!!
Old 8th July 2007, 12:17

Lambert Bros.

I have just found the following details about their fleets in 'SHIPPING'1945

1945 Fleet:-
Temple Arch. 5138/40 Fate ?
Temple Inn 5218/40 "
Temple Yard 5208/37 "
+ 5 managed for MOWT.

1964 Fleet
Temple Hall 8003/54 became Pantelis (GK), Telamon (GK):-
Beached off Arricife 1981 after developing leaks. Still there
Temple Lane 7847/54 became Dunster (UK) Deuterornis
Humanity (GK), Lauria Fidelity (GK)
Temple Main 8005/58. became Irini (GK), Spirit (MALTA) B/U 1984
Old 13th November 2007, 21:05

My location
Joined the Temple Lane in Hull in 1964 as deck boy 75% of the crowd were from Hull and about 90% have crossed the bar now although I have seen 2 in the last 2 years.The chippie and 1 AB was from Greenock Mick O'Brian..
We did 7 months of hell very little overtime, in fact us peggies got 1/2 hour a night overtime..Hull -continent -India-Japan-Vancouver- Surrey commercial 7 month trip.
Old 29th November 2007, 17:08

I sailed on the temple Bar with my two Brothers I a/b +2 sos , June 53 - Nov 53, Tampa, San Pedro, Hobart, Cairns,Singapore, Cape town, paid off in Hull.
Anybody out there ?
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:51

My location
early vessels

I found some information from theshiplist.com on three vessels that must be among the first owned by Lambert Bros.

Wyberton, built 1872 by Withy Alexander, Middleton for ?. 1881 transferred from Lambert Bros to Rotterdam Lloyd and renamed Zeeland. 1891 reverted to Lambert Bros and renamed Wyberton. Fate ?

Hampton, built 1873 by Blumer, Sunderland for ?. 1881 sold by Lambert Bros to Rotterdam Lloyd and renamed Limburg, 1887 sold to Norway renamed Freja. Fate ?

Torrington, built 1874 by Dixon, Middlesbrough for ?. 1881 transferred from Lambert Bros to Rotterdam Lloyd and renamed Noord Holland, 1891 reverted to Lambert Bros, renamed Torrington. Fate ?

There seems to have been some connection at that point between Lambert Bros and Rotterdam Lloyd.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find out the rest of the three ships history, maybe someone knows something more?
Old 17th January 2009, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter4447 View Post
At the end of the 1950's they had three of their ships laid up together in the River Stour.

Peter4447
Temple Ships laid up on river Stour

In December 1958 after serving my time with Lambert Bros., I had just obtained 2nd Mates and was waiting at home for a 3rd Mates job on the Temple Main, due back in UK in the new year. I had a temporary job stacking shelves in a supermarket and was looking forward to Christmas.

I had an urgent call from the Company. Three laid up Temple ... ships (I think Arch, Inn and Bar) were moored side by side to buoys fore and aft, a couple of miles up from Harwich on the Stour. The layup crew comprised a Skipper, Mate, Engineer, retired Steward/Cook and two Somali Firemen.

Apparently the Skipper had gone home for the weekend and the Mate and Engineer had used A lifeboat and a jollyboat to go ashore to a pub a mile or so away across the fields on the Suffolk side. They had moored a home made buoy just below the low water line, to which they moored the 40 man diesel powered lifeboat and used the jollyboat to row ashore, pulling it above the high tide line. After leaving the pub at closing time (on Saturday), the were not seen alive again. The two boats and the buoy were also missing. The retired Steward and Firemen had no way of communicating with the shore, so it was 36 hours before the alarm was raised as the "trot boat" from Harwich only called a couple of times a week.

My first job as 3rd Mate was the unpleasant task of packing the deceased's belongings for sending to their wives at home.
Old 17th January 2009, 23:44

My location
Hi Coleshome
You are indeed correct - the 3 laid up were 'Temple Arch' 'Temple Bar' and 'Temple Inn'.
Peter4447
Old 27th May 2009, 16:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 2003

the Temple Bar had a major engine-room explosion in '73 north of Djakarta, at the time I was an A.B. on Cape Wrath in Singapore, we sailed next day and went to her assistance. We arrived next and went across to her in our lifeboat. she was in a terrible mess. Lucky nobody killed, everyone was on the booze and they were coocking their grub on a barby, as there was no power at all. at first we heard that we may be towing her to U.K. But she was eventually towed by tug to Singapore and Re-engined. j. dodd
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:57

JOINED Temple arch sometime in 71 in Avonmouth said to denmark and loaded cement clinker dust everywhere and then it rained slightly just enough for the cement to set on every weld and flat edge on the ship.Still trying to get it of six months later. The skippers name was Hall failed to understand that the whole crew were first trip GPs and on that ship we were never out of the engine room I new nothing of liners pistons grinding valves untill i joined the MV Temple arch after that trip i could have sailed as a grease monkey.No more GPs for me i liked the bronze to much.
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:15

hi was on the temple main joined her in hull aug65 paid off in liverpool feb 66. the accomerdation was great crew not bad grub two steps above baron boats thanks for the memories cheers grimsby nz
Old 11th September 2009, 18:26

I Sailed First Trip Deck Boy Temple Hall A Voyage Of Just Over 6 Months.we Loaded Paper Pulp In Sweden For Shanghai.the Back To Mauritius Loaded Sugar For Liverpool.paid Off With A Fortune 132
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:11

Temple Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dodd View Post
the Temple Bar had a major engine-room explosion in '73 north of Djakarta, at the time I was an A.B. on Cape Wrath in Singapore, we sailed next day and went to her assistance. We arrived next and went across to her in our lifeboat. she was in a terrible mess. Lucky nobody killed, everyone was on the booze and they were coocking their grub on a barby, as there was no power at all. at first we heard that we may be towing her to U.K. But she was eventually towed by tug to Singapore and Re-engined. j. dodd
I joined Temple Bar in 73 Birkenhead (Whitcos) as 3rd Engineer and she was enormous after Clipper ships. We hit the jetty leaving and had a blackout. Kicked off 1 genny and got everything going o.k. 2of us, nobody came down below- scared of the dark! We were supposed to go to Africa but went to Canada for Iron Ore, then back to Cardiff. She had Stork Voerkspoor engines which were in good condition. the fire must have been later in the year. Geoff clode
Old 30th September 2009, 13:19

Hallo Aristo
Lambert Brothers took over the Commercial Steamship Co. Ltd from Young, Ehlers & Co. in 1905.
Young, Ehlers & Co. (Commercial Steamship Co. Ltd) had connections with Wm Ruys and stood at the base of the founding of the Stoomboot Reederij Rotterdamsche Lloyd in 1875, which in its turn led in 1883 to the Rotterdamsche Lloyd.
Regards
Henk Jungerius
Old 21st October 2011, 14:32
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Sailed on the Temple Bar 1975 paid off just before Christmas in Hamburg
Old 13th February 2012, 20:30

I joined the Temple Lane oct 1962 in Newport Wales out to India. Pakistan

paid off march 1963 very good modern ship at that time enjoyed the trip
Old 27th April 2012, 21:00

Temple Inn

Spent nine months on this great vessel.Was with S.S.M when she was handed over to Whitco Marine.This was sailing as it should be.
first class accomodation,great bunch of Officers and Crew,and the run we were on at the time meant it was a wrench to leave her.
regards to anyone who was there at the time.