Stena Explorer - Ships Nostalgia
21:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stena Explorer

Old 19th March 2005, 15:53

Stena Explorer

Stena Lineís HSS 1500 high speed ferry STENA EXPLORER (Ď96/19638) backing into Holyhead harbour after a crossing from Dun Laoghaire on the 15th March 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stena Explorer (1).JPG (82.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Stena Explorer (2).JPG (84.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Stena Explorer (3).JPG (75.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 20th March 2005, 00:21

My location
No doubt a very efficient and comfortable ship, but by no means is she pretty to look at!
Old 20th March 2005, 02:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1958

Would this be the first (and only?) ship to have a website address painted all over it??
Old 20th March 2005, 05:48

I am sure not Doug H but even that might be better than the colour scheme of some of them...Lady Patricia and Penellope as an example!!.
Old 20th March 2005, 10:27

Hull colourings and markings

Alas, rather too many ferries have websites and logos plastered all over them. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I miss the good old black hull, white superstructure, buff funnel with black top of the cross channel ships of old. Even Saga cruises have gone back to this with Saga Ruby and her sister. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 20th March 2005, 10:58

One of the reasons they painted the topsides black is that corrosion was less visible and it was easy te recoat when the vessel was berthed alongside.
In older days this was tar, but in the 50's-60's standard alkyd paints were introduced.
Today's surface preparation and quality of paints is a lot better and less maintenance is therefore required.

Remember the "Olympic" vessels of Onassis?? They were all painted white, even the tankers and they used tonnes and tonnes of paints, had to repaint every single trip, but those were the days that good money was made with less competition. They also changed that to black at a later stage, much for same reasons as above.
Jan
Old 20th March 2005, 11:01

Absolutely, prefer a traditional colour scheme anyday..the two vessels I refer to are catmaran ferries employed on the Isle of Wight/Portsmouth run, they are striped, look bilious but perhaps they are just frightened that the Royal Navy will either shell them or hit them so have taken the necessary precautions. There is a strand posted some weeks ago with a picture.
Old 20th March 2005, 12:13

These Swath ferries may look different, but anything that can do over 40 knots is a machine and a half! It only takes 3 and a half hours to Holland from Harwich and is an experience in itself. This is a direct challenge to the low cost airlines and an education to watch berthing proceedures - no bits of string (!), just "clamped" into position.
Old 20th March 2005, 12:16

My location
Good Bob S very good pics of this high speed .
Gp
Old 20th March 2005, 15:44

Didn't they use to cross to Holland faster but had a speed restiction imposed off Harwich to stop their wash swamping local fishing boats?

The striped Isle of Wight ferries mentioned above are OUR LADY PATRICIA & OUR LADY PAMELA, FASTCAT RYDE & FASTCAT SHANKLIN are painted the same, they remind me of ice cream vans! Anyone for a choc-ice.

I think they can be viewed on www.wightlink.co.uk
Old 21st March 2005, 01:53

Thanks for the offer but I will say no to the choc ice thank you. Bilious colours though they may be I will probably be riding one or the other over to Portsmouth in about a fortnight. Am suprised that they havent been replaced by something a little larger by now. My last trip was very rough indeed, in spite of being reasonably sheltered weather wise they had problems docking at Ryde Pier with the wind and swell.
Old 10th December 2005, 17:27

Stena Explorer

Ref the Stena Explorer, known locally as the 'Flying Brick'

My Middle Daughter, Emma has been employed on the fast cats ever since their introduction. She has served on each vessel and is possibly one of the longest serving crew.

I am extremely proud of her as she was the first Female to earn an EDH rating on fast cats.

I once had the privilege of secretly watching her, working on the car deck, get a driver out of his Landover and back the vehicle and caravan into a gap that Iíd not even attempted to go..

She is still on the payroll though no longer on the car deck.

There may be those of you who donít agree with females on board.. However,I for one, am proud of my daughterís achievement.

Aye
Mike
Old 10th December 2005, 17:55

My location
Flyer 682-"No doubt a very efficient and comfortable ship"

Efficient, maybe. Comfortable? Well!

Best wishes.
Coastie
Old 10th December 2005, 23:00

My location
The Wightlink Fastcats will be repainted soon, the new owners don't like the scheme! As for the current scheme, it was designed by the Chief Executives' son, enough said!! There is no point in us getting larger vessels because of a couple of points: 1) We only get 15 minutes turnround 2) they are getting rid of the buffets, therefore lessening the crew number to four. This means we can only take 240 pax.
As for the crossing, the old cats were designed for the run - they are wider in the beam, therefore sit better at Ryde pier. The new cats were bought purely because they looked good, they do handle the crossing better, but aren't very good at sitting alongside in a SW wind.
Old 12th December 2005, 00:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Rourke

There may be those of you who donít agree with females on board.. However,I for one, am proud of my daughterís achievement.

Aye
Mike
And so you should be Mike, I know Emma is held in very high regard by officers who sail with her.

-------

Justin
Old 10th July 2007, 11:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
I am also very proud of Emma, she had the best training possible, it was me that trained her!!!.It was a great shame that she was unable to continue working with us on the car deck, and she was sorely missed.

Regards Taxi-man.
Old 21st July 2007, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Didn't they use to cross to Holland faster but had a speed restiction imposed off Harwich to stop their wash swamping local fishing boats?

The striped Isle of Wight ferries mentioned above are OUR LADY PATRICIA & OUR LADY PAMELA, FASTCAT RYDE & FASTCAT SHANKLIN are painted the same, they remind me of ice cream vans! Anyone for a choc-ice.

I think they can be viewed on www.wightlink.co.uk
Hi Bob,

The Stena Discovery did the trip in about three & a half hours. They did indeed have restictions on the entrance to both ports. She was decommissioned & laid up in Belfast in January 2007. The fuel bill was one of the reasons for this move. You can put a bid to buy it if you have a few quid to spare.
Old 28th December 2010, 23:23
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 2009 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682 View Post
No doubt a very efficient and comfortable ship, but by no means is she pretty to look at!
Not from the back. Although I think she looks better than conventional ferries for the unique design.