Whoops! - Ships Nostalgia
05:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Whoops!

Old 23rd July 2007, 21:02

My location
Unhappy Whoops!

Have I crossed "The Rubicon of Good Taste" with my slightly triumphalistic message about the turbo-alternators on "Mangla/Mathura" being, in all probability, Bellis & Morcomb or am I being overly sensitive 'cos there's been no response? Answers on a chupatti please!! Burra Salaams, Phil.
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1946 - 1983

Missed the previous thread but Beliss and Morcome in my experience were normally twin cylinder reciprocating enclosed steam driven engines connected to DC Generators 110 to 210 volts output.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:02

My location
Red face Double "Whoops!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by standby View Post
Missed the previous thread but Beliss and Morcome in my experience were normally twin cylinder reciprocating enclosed steam driven engines connected to DC Generators 110 to 210 volts output.
I have made a bit of a "foxes pass" in my posting the thread about Bellis & Morcomb "Winning the day"! I SHOULD have put it on the "What was your favourite Brock ship and why?" thread as that was where other people raised doubts about "Mangla/Mathura" having B & M turbo-alternators! I'll put it down to a bad glass of gin!! Or a dodgey curry!! Or a can of Tennents!! Or a----------------z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:17
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Mangla/Mathura Turbo-alternators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthechill View Post
Have I crossed "The Rubicon of Good Taste" with my slightly triumphalistic message about the turbo-alternators on "Mangla/Mathura" being, in all probability, Bellis & Morcomb or am I being overly sensitive 'cos there's been no response? Answers on a chupatti please!! Burra Salaams, Phil.
Phil,
Certainly no offence taken on your claim - However it's not over till the fat lady sings and I hope to come back at you with proof of my claim.
I am surprised that Derek Roger or Stuart Smith have not added their tuppence worth to the debate.

Regards,

Jim S
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:35

Maybe no one is in the least bit interested!
Old 24th July 2007, 00:11
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthechill View Post
Phil,when you initially posted this I agreed with you as I had worked on the two ships and coasted them both so I adamantly stick to B&M and I will reiterate that I never came across PB in Brocks.Also as I was involved in the connecting up of the switchboard and alternators on the Mathura I was very confident.The main Switchboard incidentally was Sunderland Forge with whom I served my apprenticeship. Salaams Donald.
Old 24th July 2007, 06:42

My location
Unhappy Never thought of that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine master View Post
Maybe no one is in the least bit interested!
You're probably right, Master Mariner! Now why didn't I think of that? Ho-hum! Punkah-wallah! Juldi! Get heaving on that punkah! Fetch me another Rawlings and fresh lime and put me back in the box labelled "Not wanted on voyage"! Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z Burra salaams! Phil
Old 24th July 2007, 07:48

My location
Thanks for the update, I was sure the Mangla had a B&M Turbo Alternator.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:58

My Mangla had a handle and two rollers