Ships Nostalgia banner

Granton Trawlers

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  grahamtowa 
#1 ·
SN members will be interested in a recent website that details the history of trawlers that went to sea from Granton and Leith. The person(s) behind the site deserve great credit as the narrative holds the attention of fishermen and non-fishermen alike. It is also a very useful source for research.

http://www.grantontrawlers.com/

Apologies if this information has been posted previously. I couldn't find mention of it elsewhere on SN.

Billy

#3 ·
Second what Billy has said, an interesting site which is gradually being added to.
On a separate note, was up at Granton myself yesterday, looking for the remains of James Martin's boatyard where wooden vessels were built from 1941. Does anyone have any info relating to this yard? thanks, Graham

#8 ·
I remember accompaning my father (aged 8.in 1951)to collect his ringnetter Golden Dawn LH 184.which had been on Martins slipway for sterntube repair.
The yard was fairly busy at that time,but I can't recall how many years it operated after that.I beleive that the mfv Mizpah which was owned by the Jarron family of Cockenzie was a wartime build from that yard
Robert Clark Eyemouth

#9 ·
Hi, Robert. After they had built 11 MFVs during the war, their next build was the Mizpah that you mention, 1946, LH181, 52 ft, canoe stern, Crossley engine, Edwinsons seine winch, owned Peter Jarron and Peter Donaldson. Sold around 1970 to Girvan (BA181) after being converted to prawn trawl by Blairs.
Your father's Golden Dawn, was that a Reekie build? Think it was at Burnmouth later, then sold down south of England but may be wrong! Think it's on the wall in the Gulls Nest, if I remember right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.