Oloibiri - Ships Nostalgia
04:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Oloibiri

Old 29th March 2005, 06:22

My location
Oloibiri

Built Pula 1976

Two apprentices visible on deck port side forward of the manifold. The shorter was 5'10".

Photographs by Skyphotos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oloibiri-2.jpg (57.9 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg oloibiri-3.jpg (61.6 KB, 394 views)
Old 29th March 2005, 08:50

My location
You seem very precise about the height. Twas it you by chance???
Old 27th January 2006, 20:26

Hi......

I had 2 glorious years on this beauty...Bernie Gilby was chief though Mrs Gilby made all the engine room decisions!!! ...Derek Clark (Scouser) was 3rd Engineer and John Paul (The Pope) was the take no nonsense 2nd Engineer...great ship and a very hard work up with all those damn Pielsticks down below....Hugh have I come across you on the good ship Oloibiri??
Old 28th February 2006, 15:42

Hello all. I still work on that great vessel called Oloibiri. She's still in Nigerian waters. Her age is beginning to show a bit though.
Old 28th February 2006, 18:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R798780
Built Pula 1976

Two apprentices visible on deck port side forward of the manifold. The shorter was 5'10".

Photographs by Skyphotos
must be me.. i can not see anybody.. bit like the kings clothes perhaps ????
Old 28th February 2006, 19:27

My location
Graeme Kaye and Gordon ??
Old 8th May 2006, 18:45

My location
Sailed on it meself............did the guarantee dry-dock in Lisbon as well.
Old 8th May 2006, 19:41

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Strike
Sailed on it meself............did the guarantee dry-dock in Lisbon as well.
I did the Lisbon drydock in tandem with John Laing (with his wife, I'm Fiona - fly me)
Old 8th May 2006, 19:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682
You seem very precise about the height. Twas it you by chance???
Sorry David, just realised I'd missed this one. Point was, Graeme Kaye was considerably bigger, sailed with him several times after that when he was 3/O and 2/O. Gordon met a tragic end under a car I think shortly before he was due to marry.
Old 8th May 2006, 21:03

My location
I was 2nd Elect at the time in Lisbon , had my wife Janette with me. She went home after the DD & I sailed round to Dubai with the ship.

Pretty sure I joined in Rotterdam with Hugh Shuttleworth(Mate).

Elects on board were Robbie (from Walthemstow) then "Hatch" aka Tom Curran (plus wife Jude), 2nd Eng was Mike Gray , John Lang (Mate) , Bernie Gilby (Chief Eng) - one of two, the other being from South Shields but whose name escaes me (Hoy??) , a Superintendent (Eddie Bucknall??) and many more...............

Last edited by Ron Strike : 8th May 2006 at 21:22.
Old 8th May 2006, 22:28

My location
I rejoined Oloibiri in Rotterdam early September '77, a character called John Board joined in the gulf to let me go on leave, and I left towards the end of drydock.
John Laing's other name was the OMO man, still brilliant white at the end of an eight hour stint, doing whatever. Spent better part of an hour handing over to him and still got called out an hour later. John was mate on my first tanker when I joined as 2nd mate.
John Hoy was the other chief, Sunderland man, 2/E on my first trip to sea on a Brocklebank steamer (a.k.a. the deepsea boy scout). There's a picture in my gallery with Robbie Pescott and an earlier 2nd lecky, Dave? from Cheshire area.
Eddie Bucknall, would join Oloibiri, off with jacket, on with boilersuit over his suit trousers and white shirt, spend hours under a pielstik, off with boilersuit wash hands and into the saloon to eat. a.k.a. SuperSpanner. Not bad at table tennis though. Mike Gray was better, athletic dives to get a ball anyone else would miss. Eddie had been Chief on the Pielstik jobs, but not sure if that was Maihar / Mahsud or the Eriksberg tankers.
Old 8th May 2006, 23:24

My location
Quote:
I rejoined Oloibiri in Rotterdam early September '77, a character called John Board joined in the gulf to let me go on leave, and I left towards the end of drydock.
John Laing's other name was the OMO man, still brilliant white at the end of an eight hour stint, doing whatever. Spent better part of an hour handing over to him and still got called out an hour later. John was mate on my first tanker when I joined as 2nd mate.
John Hoy was the other chief, Sunderland man, 2/E on my first trip to sea on a Brocklebank steamer (a.k.a. the deepsea boy scout). There's a picture in my gallery with Robbie Pescott and an earlier 2nd lecky, Dave? from Cheshire area.
Eddie Bucknall, would join Oloibiri, off with jacket, on with boilersuit over his suit trousers and white shirt, spend hours under a pielstik, off with boilersuit wash hands and into the saloon to eat. a.k.a. SuperSpanner. Not bad at table tennis though. Mike Gray was better, athletic dives to get a ball anyone else would miss. Eddie had been Chief on the Pielstik jobs, but not sure if that was Maihar / Mahsud or the Eriksberg tankers.
Can relate to all of that - remember Bernie Gilby having to wash Eddie Bucknalls neck , as he was about to leave the underneath of a Pielstick to fly to London. Suit on , straight on top of the muck! How do I access your gallery??
Old 9th May 2006, 16:00

My location
Click on "gallery", go past the pictures to the bottom of the page to "members galleries" and navigate to my moniker just past halfway through. Stuart has posted more of Robbie posing in various spots that might bring back old memories, fond or otherwise.

I reckon we must have flown out together to Rotterdam, one of the few where they got it wrong and flew me from Newcastle instead of Teesside.

Last edited by R798780 : 9th May 2006 at 16:03.
Old 9th May 2006, 18:06

My location
Quote:
Click on "gallery", go past the pictures to the bottom of the page to "members galleries" and navigate to my moniker just past halfway through. Stuart has posted more of Robbie posing in various spots that might bring back old memories, fond or otherwise.

I reckon we must have flown out together to Rotterdam, one of the few where they got it wrong and flew me from Newcastle instead of Teesside.
Pretty sure that the Electrician on the Bridge Wing with Robbie (on img]http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/500/331oloibiri-12a.jpg[/img] ) is in fact me!

Yes we did fly out together from Newcastle & met up in Rotterdam when we were (confusingly) paged as Mr Shuttleworth & Mr Flicka of Shell Tankers.....

Last edited by Ron Strike : 9th May 2006 at 19:04.
Old 9th May 2006, 22:20

My location
Sorry Ron, that one is not you. Film developed August 77, has to be the chap from Bolsover (I think that's where he was from). Believe we had two Daves as electricians, Dave Wychely (however it's spelled) was Robbie's relief.

The paging for whoever from Shell is the clincher, don't remember the Mr Flicka, but remember tying Oloibiri and Shell; got used to Europeans having great difficulty with my name.
Old 9th May 2006, 22:50

My location
Quote:
Sorry Ron, that one is not you. Film developed August 77, has to be the chap from Bolsover (I think that's where he was from). Believe we had two Daves as electricians, Dave Wychely (however it's spelled) was Robbie's relief.

The paging for whoever from Shell is the clincher, don't remember the Mr Flicka, but remember tying Oloibiri and Shell; got used to Europeans having great difficulty with my name.
Mustn't be then - though I can remember working on that compass/repeater.....!!

I can remember the paging clearly - Flicker for Strike (sounds the same!). Also believe I met Mrs Shuttleworth in Lisbon, where the "in" drink was a pint of mateus rose!
Old 10th May 2006, 06:35

My location
Mrs S joined in Rotterdam just before sailing down to Lisbon, chaperoned by Minty Murray, 3/E.

Mike Gray and Deggsie Clark would accumulate a pile of Mateus bottles like we got a pile of Tennants cans, they just wouldn't stack as well! But yes, pint glasses of Mateus was their tipple that month. Well it was December

Last edited by R798780 : 10th May 2006 at 06:38.
Old 10th May 2006, 08:15

My location
Quote:
Mrs S joined in Rotterdam just before sailing down to Lisbon, chaperoned by Minty Murray, 3/E.

Mike Gray and Deggsie Clark would accumulate a pile of Mateus bottles like we got a pile of Tennants cans, they just wouldn't stack as well! But yes, pint glasses of Mateus was their tipple that month. Well it was December
Will try to dig out some of the Oily-Boily snaps & post them on the Gallery.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:52

My location
Hugh Shuttleworth

Hugh , are you in touch with any of the old Oloibiri squad. Particularly like to know "whatever happened" to Mike Gray, Tom (Hatch) Curran, Brian (& Shiela) Robertson, "Minty" Murray, Robbie Pescott, IGGY Jameson et al

Last edited by Ron Strike : 12th May 2006 at 12:40.
Old 12th May 2006, 18:40

My location
Sorry Ron, haven't been in touch with any of them. Sailed with Iain Minty Murray (2nd EnG) on Luminetta in '79 or '80. He was medically severed not long after that with back problems, shame, I had a lot of time for Iain. Robbie was a permanent fixture on Lucerna, sailed on Lucerna on and off til mid '89. IGY was PCO on Lucerna a few times in the early '80s then got himself permanent on the new ACL boat.
Old 16th May 2006, 19:08

My location
Quote:
Sorry Ron, haven't been in touch with any of them. Sailed with Iain Minty Murray (2nd EnG) on Luminetta in '79 or '80. He was medically severed not long after that with back problems, shame, I had a lot of time for Iain. Robbie was a permanent fixture on Lucerna, sailed on Lucerna on and off til mid '89. IGY was PCO on Lucerna a few times in the early '80s then got himself permanent on the new ACL boat.
Thanks anyway, Hugh.

It always surprises me that some of the guys stayed on so long - I tend to think they left like me in the early 80's. Jealous of them really as they were GREAT times.
Old 10th August 2006, 11:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Hugh Shuttleworth

Hi Hugh
Seeing earlier mention of John & Fiona Laing brought back memories! John sailed with me on the passenger ships after Oloibiri.... Fiona accompanied him. They divorced not long after that and John went 'foreign flag'. Made Captain I believe.
Fiona still lives in Yeovil area in Somerset.

Did you ever sail with Eric Heppenstall? He was Capt on the Lucerna with me. Saw him later when he was Captain of the Ogden Saguenay (sister class to Lucerna)

Regards

Peter
Old 10th August 2006, 12:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson
Hi Hugh
Did you ever sail with Eric Heppenstall? He was Capt on the Lucerna with me. Saw him later when he was Captain of the Ogden Saguenay (sister class to Lucerna)

Regards

Peter
Sailed with wee Eric on Luxor in 73/74, then on Lucerna in '76 where I understudied him on the "new class" before taking over as mate. Smashing chap.
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:53

Whey hey!! It's me. The taller of the two cadets on the Oloibiri who are actually invisible to the naked eye on Hugh Shuttleworths photo.....!

Gordon Murray is the other one. He was killed in a car crash on his stag night when some thoughtless ******* decided to commit suicide by driving into a brick wall at speed, but Gordon's brothers car came around a blind corner and the suicidal **** collided with him instead.
Old 23rd October 2006, 17:20

My location
Hi Graham ( or Graeme ), for those with defective eyesight.............!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graham and Gordon.jpg (34.3 KB, 151 views)