Dwarka - Ships Nostalgia
22:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Dwarka

Old 30th March 2005, 22:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Dwarka

This old girl, affectionatly known as "Queen of the Gulf" was a terrific ship. Great time with superb people, and of course a 5 cyl Doxford with all steam aux's.

Last edited by Doxfordman : 12th May 2007 at 08:40.
Old 2nd May 2005, 17:16
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

"Queen of the Gulf" : DWARKA

Having been introduced to Ships Nostalgia by George Taylor, I have chosen the Dwarka as my introduction to this Group, having joined her in London, July 1947 where she was loading for her maiden voyage to Bombay. I was "new" too, being a first trip cadet. I was to remain in this ship for just over a year, during which Dwarka "bedded" herself into the run which she maintained for the following 35 years! Although the number of ports on this service was reduced in later years, initially the 3-week round trip from Bombay called at Karachi, Gwadur, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abadan, Basra, Kuwait, Bahrain, Muscat, Gwadur and Karachi. When new she carried about 50 cabin passengers and up to about 1500 "deck passengers" (depending on the Monsoon season) as well as mail and general cargo. Dwarka maintained the service with three sisterships, Dumra, Dara and Daressa.

Regards

Tom
Old 3rd May 2005, 14:56

My location
They were three sisters DWARKA ,DUMRA and DARESSA interesting ships this single screw M/V, 1100 passeng. and a speed of 14 Knots.
Old 4th May 2005, 03:36
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
I was a first trip 4th Eng on Dwarka, she had a 5 cly Doxford LBD main engine with all steam auxiliaries, 2 x 30 ton scotch boilers. Stand by of which there were many was like being in a sauna, the poor old condensors could not keep up the pace with all of the steam recips in the ER and on deck. Hot and very hard work but a great crowd of blokes. Happy days!!
Doxfordman.
Old 4th May 2005, 04:05

They were great ships, would like a quid for each time I had been on board one or other of them in various places. They were relatively long lived but I seem to remember that one of them came to grief after a number of years. Possibly a collision or something?, the brain box has let me down and I cant find anything on it to confirm my thoughts.
Doug
Old 4th May 2005, 07:37

Ah yes, thank you for that, it all comes back now. I knew there was something but I couldnt put it in context. Very sad end for a nice ship, and thats to say nothing of the loss of life!!.
Old 14th October 2006, 21:19

The ship in question was the Dara which sunk off the port of Dubai on 10th April 1961 with the loss of 238 lives
Old 24th November 2006, 05:32

i would like to see picture / image of m v daressa
Old 24th November 2006, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e kelso View Post
Having been introduced to Ships Nostalgia by George Taylor, I have chosen the Dwarka as my introduction to this Group, having joined her in London, July 1947 where she was loading for her maiden voyage to Bombay. I was "new" too, being a first trip cadet. I was to remain in this ship for just over a year, during which Dwarka "bedded" herself into the run which she maintained for the following 35 years! Although the number of ports on this service was reduced in later years, initially the 3-week round trip from Bombay called at Karachi, Gwadur, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abadan, Basra, Kuwait, Bahrain, Muscat, Gwadur and Karachi. When new she carried about 50 cabin passengers and up to about 1500 "deck passengers" (depending on the Monsoon season) as well as mail and general cargo. Dwarka maintained the service with three sisterships, Dumra, Dara and Daressa.

Regards

Tom
i would appreciate if you could throw some light on m v daressa
Old 27th November 2006, 07:49

Daressa

DARESSA joined the BI fleet from the builder's yard on 27.06.1950. Depite being the newest of the the quartette of what was known as the Fast Gulf "D's" (the Slow Gulf service finished in 1948), she was the first to go, being sold to Marivic Navigation Inc. in August 1964 who renamed her as FAVORITA. She was sold to Singapore owners in 1968, and again renamed KIM HWA and finally sold for scrapping at Hong Kong in JUly 1974

Tom
Old 27th November 2006, 08:59

For Rhoda Garg

It might be of interest that the name DARESSA was not, unlike the nomenclature of other BI vessels, an actual place name in the sub-continent or African place name, but a corruption of Dar es Salaam, capital of Tanzania

Regards

Tom
Old 1st May 2007, 23:18

My location
I recall, as a kid, watching an excellent BBC documentary on the Dwarka - I wonder if anyone might have a DVD of this??
Old 15th May 2007, 12:37
Forever a Seaman
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Cambria49,

I have a DVD of an episode of "The World About Us" called an Arabian voyage which is all about the Dwarka. It was made in 1979 and may be the program you are talking about. It brings back some great memories for me as the ship does not seem to have changed since the 50's.

I would be quite happy to make a copy and send it off to you if you wish. Just let me know.

Regards

John Briggs
Old 17th May 2007, 04:21

My location
John,

That really is very kind of you - I'll PM my address to you!

Thanks!!

Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Briggs View Post
Cambria49,

I have a DVD of an episode of "The World About Us" called an Arabian voyage which is all about the Dwarka. It was made in 1979 and may be the program you are talking about. It brings back some great memories for me as the ship does not seem to have changed since the 50's.

I would be quite happy to make a copy and send it off to you if you wish. Just let me know.

Regards

John Briggs
Old 10th December 2007, 20:42

My location
Does anyone remember Captain Bell, who I believe,was one time master of the DWARKA?
Old 25th December 2007, 21:29

Captain Frank Bell

Hugh,

I have asked around in the BI internet "group" without result.

After retiring from the BI (or P&O?) Captain Bell took up a position on the Cutty Sark. What "rank", I am not sure, but he followed BI presence on the ship after "Hadji" Reid and Donald Bardsley.

Perhaps, if you inquired of the Cutty Sark people, they would be able to help

Salaams,

Tom
Old 8th February 2008, 21:20

My location
Thanks, Tom, I'll try that. Salaams, Hugh.
Old 21st March 2013, 19:46

FAO Tom E Kelso..
Many thanks for the most interesting titbit about the name of the DARESSA (being an ex Dumra & Dwarka engineer, I cannot believe that I didn't know that fact). Best of health to yourself ( having sailed with you on at least 2 occasions - Amra & Meynell possibly) - wonderful memories.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:24

My location
See HERE for first of ten videos on Dwarka. To view all episodes, go to T.V. Passenger and Cruise liner file, pages 4 & 5.
Old 21st March 2013, 22:01
duquesa duquesa is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - Present

My location
Dwarka

I believe there was a good article about her and her "then" Master in Sea Breezes many moons ago. Possibly November 1982.

Last edited by duquesa : 21st March 2013 at 22:03. Reason: Added thought!
Old 21st March 2013, 23:20

DWARKA pix

Attached some pix taken on my trip to Karachi in 1982 shortly before her last voyage to the breakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bahrain 1982b.JPG (183.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Bahrain 1980b.jpg (134.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Doha 1982c.jpg (114.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Dubai 1982.jpg (194.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Muscat 1982.jpg (148.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 18th April 2013, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
See HERE for first of ten videos on Dwarka. To view all episodes, go to T.V. Passenger and Cruise liner file, pages 4 & 5.
Thanks for these videos, Hugh. They brought back a few memories. I was on her for 13mths 72/73. Frank Bell was the master at the time that I left. He had relieved Kas Malowski, who had been there a good spell before him.
Regards Duncs
Old 6th February 2014, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncs View Post
Thanks for these videos, Hugh. They brought back a few memories. I was on her for 13mths 72/73. Frank Bell was the master at the time that I left. He had relieved Kas Malowski, who had been there a good spell before him.
Regards Duncs
Thanks for the info about the video of Dwarka - I was 4th on Dumra and 3rd on the Dwarka between 1970 to 1973 and the video clips brought back great memories.It's amazing how much you forget and the silly things that are brought back after watching them.The sound of the dinner "xylophone", the shops on deck and the many different types of meals served.
The pride when you manouvered the engine into port (not too much air, the compressor can't keep up) and answering the telegraph/writing up the log book and taking controls all at the same time whilst the panch saab was running round putting another compressor on and checking the water gauges in the boiler !!!!
I could spend another dozen pages on this topic.
Salaams - Kevin Donoghue.
Old 3rd May 2014, 02:26

Hi Kevin, did you have a big wood covered ice box(Rolls Royce of ice boxes)?
If that was you, you probably saved my life when I joined in Kuwait(Dwarka).

Regards,
Duncan
Old 3rd May 2014, 09:12

Those ice boxes were life savers, never saw them anywhere else. Tuborg and Carlsberg were the favourites along with 'Pinkers' in the First Class bar at lunchtimes, not forgetting of course Four Bells for other occasions.

regards
Dave