Houlder Bros 1973 onwards - Ships Nostalgia
10:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Bros 1973 onwards

Old 3rd April 2005, 17:43

Houlder Bros 1973 onwards

Hi All
I've just joined the forum. I was with Houlder Bros from 1973. Sailed on the following; Tenbury, Joya McCance, Sagamore, Oswestry Grange, Hardwicke Grange, Orotava, Faraday and Cavendish. I also managed a trip on the Manchester Concorde (Manchester Liners). I attended Hull Nautical College for my 2nd Mate's ticket and ONC. I understand it's now a car park!
Regards
Alec McKenzie
Old 3rd April 2005, 18:14
Ships Lookout
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - 1986

My location
Hello Alec and welcome to SN
Old 3rd October 2005, 14:08

Hi Alec,
Served on many of the vessels you mentioned. Joined Houlders as a deck apprentice in 1962. Left for Canada in 1970 to work for Hydrographic Survey.
Now in business selling Aga cookers !!!
Regards
Ian Norman
Old 3rd October 2005, 14:30
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy Ian,
Welcom aboard, enjoy it as we do!

My first ship,[Vesta-Rederi Svea] and first stove was an AGA, on coals, never ever had a good one like that one, and I can tell you, I did have worked on a "few" in more than 40 years.
Fabulous!!!!!Same model as this one only on coals in my days.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3...ssic1ta.th.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b

Last edited by ruud : 3rd October 2005 at 16:35.
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:08

Welcome Alec
Sailed as 2/0 on Upwey Grange and Rounton Grange
Enjoy the site!
Old 3rd October 2005, 16:09
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome to the site Alec,this site covers the sea and ships of which most of us have been in and on AND Aga stoves as a sideline.
Old 3rd October 2005, 22:07
Registered Member

My location
Welcome to the site Alec, looks like you've opened up a whole new thread on AGAs, be interesting to hear some of the tales,I hope you enjoy it here.

A house is only a badly designed ship
Old 4th October 2005, 04:53

Welcome aboard, enjoy the site and all that it has to offer.
Old 6th October 2005, 22:49

Greetings fellow browsers
Sailed with Houlder Bros and Associated co`s 1954/1980. Ships too numerous to list,retired from Diving Support Vessel "Oregis" after 7 years in N.Sea,with Comex as Ass`t Bargemaster
Old 23rd October 2005, 18:43
Active: 1965 - 1970

wish i had an aga

yes, i wish i had an aga, my first ship was Clutha River, a Houlder Bros. tanker,i almost had a very short merchant navy career,milford haven can perhaps count itself lucky.
as i say it was my first ship, i was told by others from the crew that had joined with me from hull, that the first thing to do was find an empty cabin and then go and see the first mate who was supervising discharging fuel, and get the cabin key.
i found a cabin, not surprisingly, directly opposite the entrance door to the engine room, went out on deck, hoping that the first mate would be easily found, took out a cigarette and proceeded to light it, i soon heard where the first mate was,i could tell from the tone of his voice that all was 'not going too well', i put my ciggy out, then i had to face him, quaking in my shoes, not the best of starts.
my memories of that ship are not particulaly good, it was certainly a shock to my system.
do wish i had an aga though!
Old 24th October 2005, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie
yes, i wish i had an aga, my first ship was Clutha River, a Houlder Bros. tanker,i almost had a very short merchant navy career,milford haven can perhaps count itself lucky.
as i say it was my first ship, i was told by others from the crew that had joined with me from hull, that the first thing to do was find an empty cabin and then go and see the first mate who was supervising discharging fuel, and get the cabin key.
i found a cabin, not surprisingly, directly opposite the entrance door to the engine room, went out on deck, hoping that the first mate would be easily found, took out a cigarette and proceeded to light it, i soon heard where the first mate was,i could tell from the tone of his voice that all was 'not going too well', i put my ciggy out, then i had to face him, quaking in my shoes, not the best of starts.
my memories of that ship are not particulaly good, it was certainly a shock to my system.
do wish i had an aga though!
Hi Reggie,
I was on the lovely Clutha River in the 60's as a deck apprentice. I have some photos that I will post when I get a few minutes. It was a love hate relationship as I recall. 26 grades of fuel on one ship is no joke, and all valves to be turned by hand at precisely the right moment ! I lost 3 to 4 stone in weight over 6 months. I remember going to Lake Maricaibo with enough heat to cook your breakfast on the deck and insects so large and tough that you could not kill them even by hitting them with a monkey wrench. I recall a Captain Caroll was in command. I never worked so hard in my life and 6 hours on and 6 off was a killer regime. I expect you have some memories too ?
All the best
Ian
Old 24th October 2005, 19:53
Active: 1965 - 1970

Thumbs up Clutha River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Norman
Hi Reggie,
I was on the lovely Clutha River in the 60's as a deck apprentice. I have some photos that I will post when I get a few minutes. It was a love hate relationship as I recall. 26 grades of fuel on one ship is no joke, and all valves to be turned by hand at precisely the right moment ! I lost 3 to 4 stone in weight over 6 months. I remember going to Lake Maricaibo with enough heat to cook your breakfast on the deck and insects so large and tough that you could not kill them even by hitting them with a monkey wrench. I recall a Captain Caroll was in command. I never worked so hard in my life and 6 hours on and 6 off was a killer regime. I expect you have some memories too ?
All the best
Ian
hello Ian,
perhaps you was on the ship when I was, it was either the back end of 1964 or 65, probably 65.
as I said it was my first ship after being at Gravesend training school, I had never seen a ship until I went to the training school, I lived just outside Sheffield and in those days people didn't really travel far from their own area, work was plentiful most anywhere.
What a shock it was, everything was so strange from learning how to 'walk' again to learning how to sleep with the noise of the engine room continuous and just across from my cabin.
I worked in the galley, my first job was to peel spuds, I asked the cook how many he wanted, fool, yes he wanted the whole sack done, up till then I had probably never peeled a spud in my life, I'd picked many in the school holidays but I don't think I'd ever peeled any, that's two reasons to hate spuds!
Reasonably good reasons I suspect.
We had a good cook and a good baker, I recall, I don't remember who the skipper was, I do remember that there was a Chinese laundry man.
I was fairly pally with three of the crew, I think they were deck staff and I'm fairly sure they were Irish.
We sailed from Milford Haven to Curacao, I think we then went to Rotterdam and back to England, I signed off when we got back.
I never had any paticularly good or bad times on the ship, it's just with it being my first ship and was glad to be able to sign off after only being on the ship for a short time.
My next ship, another tanker, Anadara, Shell Tankers, was no more, or no
less memorable so I only stayed on there a matter of weeks.
I think I was really beginning to question whether I had made the right choice when I made the decision to go to sea.
Things only improved when I got my next ship, Dorset, Federal Steam Navigation Co.,I went round the coast and then went to New Zealand.I did enjoy my time on this ship and things began to look up with my chosen career and continued, in the main, on a happy note.
I was only in for around five years, after the trip to New Zealand I was mainly on ships going to the Scandinavian countries, and finished on a ro/ro ferry from Hull to Gothenburg, the main reason for enjoying this ship was that we had a football team, we were in a league in Sweden and I was in the team, that was enough for me, then I ended up marrying one of the passengers and left the Merchant Navy.
All in all amongst the very best years of my working life, and memories amongst the finest memories I have, from my 56+ years on this planet.
Wonderful .
Old 30th August 2007, 22:40
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by alec mck View Post
Hi All
I've just joined the forum. I was with Houlder Bros from 1973. Sailed on the following; Tenbury, Joya McCance, Sagamore, Oswestry Grange, Hardwicke Grange, Orotava, Faraday and Cavendish. I also managed a trip on the Manchester Concorde (Manchester Liners). I attended Hull Nautical College for my 2nd Mate's ticket and ONC. I understand it's now a car park!
Regards
Alec McKenzie
alec
did first two ships with you wellcome aboard
stuart
Old 31st August 2007, 11:59

Hello Alec and welcome to Ships nostalgia.
Greetings from Londonderry
Regards
Fred
Old 31st August 2007, 12:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by alec mck View Post
Hi All
Regards
Alec McKenzie
Alec, a warm welcome to you. There are a lot of familiar ship's names there in your list (a pity about that last one, but no one's perfect ) . Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage