Capelliar ??? - Ships Nostalgia
02:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Capelliar ???

Old 3rd October 2007, 15:35

Capelliar ???

Does Any One Have Any Thing On The "capelliar" Im Not Sure If The Spelling Is Right , I Can Remember Her In 1950 In A Sorry State I Think She Was Rigged As A Brigatine,, She Was Dark Green Over The Sides She Lay In The River Colne For Awhile,,, Would Appriecate Any Thing All The Best Yan
Old 6th October 2007, 14:26

Barquentine Cap Pilar built at St. Malo, France in 1911.
She completed a circumnavigation of the world during the period 30 September 1936 to 24 September 1938 with an amateur crew including Wivenhovian bosun John Donnelly and a pig named Dennis who signed on at the start of the voyage but only actually sailed for 3 months!
In the 1950s, the Wivenhoe Shipyard acquired the barquentine which had been lying at Railway Quay. Her seams had opened up and she was slowly sliding into the main channel, so the Borough Harbour Master had instructed she had to be moved. At the close of the Yard, some personnel were kept on to undertake the move into the dry dock. Ernie Cook, the shipwright foreman, Mr Frostick, the engineer foreman, and one or two other hands were kept on for this purpose. She went into the dock and there she lay until she was broken up in 1966 when the dock was concreted over and a timber yard was established on the site. (Lifted from a pair of sites on Wivenhoe). Here's a picture: LINK Regards, Stein

Last edited by stein : 6th October 2007 at 15:39.
Old 24th October 2007, 15:01

Can't Thank You Enough Stein ,, I Used To Clamber All Over Her When I Was A Kid ,,, And Ive Wondered What Her Fate Was And I Now Know And Will Check Out The Book Thanks Again.... Yan
Old 25th October 2007, 00:11

A 1938 newspaper article on the Cap Pilar:
TheTimes_13Sep1938_Two_Years_Voyage_In_A_Windjamme r_Cap_Pilar.png

regards,
Martin

p.s. There is a book called "The Voyage of the Cap Pilar". If you go to bookfinder.com and search on the ship name in the title, you'll find it. Also available via Amazon.

Last edited by melliget : 25th October 2007 at 00:17. Reason: Added postscript.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:34

Hi Stein! Where did you get this information about the Cap Pilar? I have been a "follower" since I first read Seligman's book in the 80's and I wondered about her faith. i met an old captain and his wife in Portsmouth in the mid nineties and they told me that Seligman had a presentation at the yacht club there including some footage. Wonder if this is available somewhere. I'm just about to order Martin Knowles book. regards, Tron Eivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
Barquentine Cap Pilar built at St. Malo, France in 1911.
She completed a circumnavigation of the world during the period 30 September 1936 to 24 September 1938 with an amateur crew including Wivenhovian bosun John Donnelly and a pig named Dennis who signed on at the start of the voyage but only actually sailed for 3 months!
In the 1950s, the Wivenhoe Shipyard acquired the barquentine which had been lying at Railway Quay. Her seams had opened up and she was slowly sliding into the main channel, so the Borough Harbour Master had instructed she had to be moved. At the close of the Yard, some personnel were kept on to undertake the move into the dry dock. Ernie Cook, the shipwright foreman, Mr Frostick, the engineer foreman, and one or two other hands were kept on for this purpose. She went into the dock and there she lay until she was broken up in 1966 when the dock was concreted over and a timber yard was established on the site. (Lifted from a pair of sites on Wivenhoe). Here's a picture: LINK Regards, Stein
Old 3rd January 2014, 08:14

Under the picture in the link I see I’ve given the source for the picture as Sea Breezes, Aug. 1938, it should be September 38, vol. 23, pp 236-238, and there is some text. One could guess that the added information was found in a post-war issue of Sea Breezes, but right now I’m not prepared to leaf through all the registers to look for Cap Pilar, and it might as well be that I found the information on the net, and even more likely that I’ve posted all I found on her on this thread and the Gallery one:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp/photo/83499

Did you look at this one?:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=33191

The first results from googling Cap Pilar (you’ve probably done that, but I can say that it’s unlikely that I sit on more information than can be found in those links):

http://www.novascotia.ca/nsarm/virtu...nguage=English

http://www.essexcountystandard.co.uk...&topic_id=6717

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Seligman.html
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1981

My location
Thanks Stein for the articles you listed. One of them was started by me after having leafed through the original diaries owned by Esmé Barrett the now 96 year-old mother of a talented pianist friend of mine. As far as the book is concerned, I have a signed copy with the No. 40, I'm not sure whether it is still in circulation.